Today is Armenian writer Gurgen Mahari's birthday
Today is Armenian writer and poet Gurgen Mahari's birthday.
Most significant works by Mahari include the semi-autobiographical novella Barbed Wires in Blossom (1968) and the novel Burning Orchards (1966), which is set in the writer's hometown of Van on the eve of the Armenian Genocide.
Gurgen fled to Eastern Armenia in 1915 during the Armenian genocide and found refuge in orphanages in Etchmiadzin, Dilijan, and Yerevan. His first book, Titanic, was published in 1924. He then wrote his autobiographical trilogy (first part, "Childhood" was published in 1929, and the third part was finished in 1955) which tells the story of his survival and the tragedy experienced by the Armenians of Western Armenia.
He was arrested in 1936, during the Stalinist purges and sentenced to 11 years imprisonment in Siberia. He was released in 1947, but a year later was again arrested and sent into Siberian exile as an 'unreliable type'. He was allowed to return to Yerevan in 1954 following Stalin's death.
He is also the author of Charents-name (1968), memoirs about Armenian poet Yeghishe Charents, and of Barbed Wires in Blossom, a novella based largely on his personal experiences in a Soviet gulag.
- Yerevan among cities Russian tourists keep returning to: study NEW 3 MINUTES AGO
- Japan's tallest skyscraper to be built in Tokyo: NHK
- Central Bank issues Admiral Isakov-125 silver collector coin
- Syrian army declares full control over Khan Sheikhoun
- Lausanne 2020: Opening Ceremony of Games to be held at Malley Ice Rink
- Moscow to host concert dedicated to Komitas's 150th anniversary
- Ombudsman sends working group to Armenia’s Jermuk
- Ararat Armenia beats Dudelange 2-1 in Europa League play-off
- Today is International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade and its Abolition
- US concerned with Turkey’s removal of Kurdish mayors
- Brad Pitt, Liv Tyler and Tommy Lee Jones in the new trailer for "To the Stars”: Galpost
- 29 years ago this day Declaration of State Sovereignty of Armenia was adopted
- Dwayne Johnson tops Forbes highest paid actors list again: BBC
- Banan cookies recipe
- Sinquefield Cup: Aronyan shares point with Shakhriyar Mamedyarov
- The air temperature will not essentially change
- Quentin Tarantino expecting to become dad for first time
- Byurakan Observatory to host 3rd regional astronomy seminar
- Iran and US problems are strategic: Rouhani
- Bako Sahakyan convened working consultation on the recent water supply issues in Stepanakert
- Trump "seriously" considering ending birthright citizenship
- Syrian army encircles militants, Turkish Army in southern Idlib
- World health report raises concerns about microplastics in drinking water: CBS news
- Deng Xiaoping's cat and flies flying into window
- Artsakh’s Volunteer National Review disseminated at UN