OSCE Minsk Group statement is bellicose
For the first time after the revolution in Armenia, on March 9, the Co-Chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group made a statement containing specific messages, suggesting a rather controversial version for the Armenian sides. This made it clear the steps taken by the new government in Artsakh have led to a rather complicated situation.
The co-chairs first showed that the Armenian prime minister's proposal, concerning the participation of Artsakh in the negotiations, was unacceptable and qualified it as "a requirement of unilateral change of format of without the other party's consent". This formulation means that the Armenian government has been unable to explain the mediators the following important issues during these months:
First, Artsakh's participation in the negotiations does not mean a format change, it means the restoration of the initial format of the conflict. In the past, the co-chairs have always considered Stepanakert's opinion when they visited the region - Baku, Yerevan and Artsakh, thus, if not directly, then indirectly they saw Artsakh as a side of the negotiations.
Second, Armenia was unable to convey to the co-chairs the truth that no document can be signed without Artsakh's participation in the talks, that there cannot be a just and lasting settlement of the conflict.
Thirdly, Armenia was unable to explain to the co-chairs that the main conflicting parties are Artsakh and Azerbaijan, and Armenia is an involved part of the conflict. Therefore, it is illogical to speak of the conflict as one of the two directly conflicting sides does not take part in the negotiations.
And finally, the statement of the Minsk Group on March 9 showed that the only document on the negotiating table is still anti-Armenian so-called Madrid Principles. The new government, rejecting the former, was unable to also reject this dangerous heritage left by them and refuse the return of the liberated territories.
Today, the mediating countries are very clear, demanding the "return the territories surrounding Nagorno Karabakh under Azerbaijan's control", even ignoring Vienna, St. Petersburg and Geneva agreements. The transfer of liberated territories cannot be acceptable for the Armenian side without the recognition of security and independence of Artsakh. The co-chairs' proposal is bellicose now.
Summarizing, the statement made by the OSCE Minsk Group is a failure of the government's Artsakh policy. But since the issue of Artsakh issue is the priority of the Armenian statehood, this failure is not only the failure of Nikol Pashinyan's government, but also a serious threat to our statehood. The current situation requires the consolidation of Pan-Armenian forces, regardless of the good or bad attitude towards the current government, because the moment is really fatal.
- Statement of MFA of Armenia on the adoption of Resolution 296 affirming the US record on the Armenian Genocide by US House of Representatives
- Pushed by latest Turkey aggression, House passes resolution formally commemorating the Armenian Genocide. The Boston Globe
- Today is renowned Armenian actor Sos Sargsyan's birthday
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 2-3 degrees, in the daytime of 20 it will go down as much
- Armenian PM, President of Artsakh discuss mutual cooperation in Yerevan
- Recipe Corner: Stuffed Roma Tomatoes with Three Cheeses
- President of Armenia holds meeting with delegation of Confindustria Russia
- Coffee may be useful in the fight against diabetes, scientist say
- Armenia's Haypost wins first prize at Europa Stamps 2019
- 2,000 CSTO troops participating in Search 2019 exercise
- Nepal, China agree to remeasure height of Mt Everest: Times of India
- One of the rarest coins in the world dating back to 723AD goes on sale for £1.6MILLION
- Aronian and Hakobyan are half a point behind tournament leaders
- Armenian FM, OSCE MG Co-Chairs highlight formation of favorable environment for peace
- Japan Typhoon death toll rises: NHK
- Airbus delegation to visit Armenia at President’s invitation
- Armenian PM receives OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs
- Syrian army enters Manbij to block Turkey’s expansion
- Today is Global Handwashing Day
- Kim Kardashian “emotional” over visit to Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute
- US sanctions Turkish ministries over Syria offensive
- Remote working may increase stress, reduce well-being: study
- Lepsius House, Genocide Museum Signs Cooperation Agreement
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 3-4 degrees
- Holy Trinity Armenian Apostolic Church Bread Sticks (Simit)