2,000-year-old tombstone of an Armenian king recovered in Turkey
Turkish anti-smuggling police in northwestern Balıkesir province has recovered another ancient artifact. This time a tombstone belonging to an Armenian king from the kingdom of Commagene.
The DailySabbah reports:
Anti-smuggling police seized a 2,000-year-old tombstone belonging to an ancient Armenian king in Turkey’s northwestern Balıkesir province on Tuesday.
Acting upon a tipoff, security forces tracked two cars passing through Edremit town headed toward western Çanakkale province. After searching the cars, police found and confiscated a tombstone reading “the final resting place of the Commagene Kingdom’s leader Antiacho” in Ancient Roman script. The smugglers were planning to sell the invaluable artifact for TL 2 million ($281,000), reports said.
The kingdom of Commagene was an ancient Armenian kingdom of the Hellenistic period, and the kings of Commagene were of Artaxiad Armenian ancestry, often displaying their lineage on their royal coins and statues.
The ruins of the tomb-sanctuary of the Armenian king Antiochus atop Mount Nemrut in Turkey were named to the UNESCO World Heritage list in 1987.
- Life as it is... Today is Grigor Zohrap's birthday NEW 7 MINUTES AGO
- We and the portrait of Dorian Gray
- Syrian-Armenian artist Kevork Mourad to create six-meter hanging sculpture of Babel
- Prevention of genocide remains challenged, Armenia tells UN
- Real offer 130 million euros for Neymar ... plus Rodriguez or Bale
- Study shows vacation is good for the heart
- An Armenian's feat in Brest Fortress defense: Russian Defense Ministry's archive materials
- Armenia announces call for applications for Junior Eurovision 2019
- Armenia to hold international festival on Tigran Mansuryan's 80th birthday
- Armenian President meets famous American theoretical physicist, Nobel laureate Kip Thorn in Zurich
- The first in the history Talysh library to open in YSU
- Topics of the talks between Putin and Trump at G20 summit announced
- Delegation led by defense minister participates in Army 2019 International Military- Technical Forum in Russia
- Iranian Foreign Ministry: US forever closed the path of diplomacy
- President proposes to hold 6th STARMUS Festival in Armenia
- Armenia national detained during Tbilisi demonstrations is released
- Armenia has it all: Rosturizm on alternative to Georgia
- Winter Olympics 2026 to be held in Italy
- Azerbaijani FM’s claims are of non-constructive nature and devalue the seriousness of the peace process: MFA spokesperson
- US announced sanctions against Iranian FM
- Zohrab Mnatsakanyan's speech at 41st session of UN Human Rights Council
- President of Artsakh holds consultation on establishment of Investigation Committee
- Armenia Defense Ministry, Hi-Tech Cyber Security Center launch contest
- ADL and ARFD members held an inter-party meeting
- Opening of Charles Aznavour square in Chaville (PHOTOS)