Today is International day for children protection
The 1st of June International Day for Protection of Children or Children’s Day is recognized on various days in many places around the world, to honor children globally. So this Day means not only the first day of the summer, but something more for children’s future.
They say International Day for Protection of Children is the oldest International holiday in the world. International Day for Protection of Children is set in 1925 year during World Conference for the Protection of Children in Geneva.
Protection of children’s rights is fixed in many international documents and resolution, including UN General Assembly Declaration of the Rights of the Child adopted in 1959 and Convention on the Rights of the Child adopted in 1989. These documents actually considered children as the most vulnerable social group of society.
On 20 November 1959 the United Nations General Assembly adopted a much expanded version as its own Declaration of the Rights of the Child, adding ten principles in place of the original five.
This date has been adopted as the Universal Children’s Day.
In 1989, the Convention on the Rights of the Child was adopted by UN General Assembly. On September 2, 1990 it became international law with one notable exception: the US signed the Charter but has not ratified it. The Convention consists of 54 articles that address the basic human rights to children everywhere are entitled:
• the right to survival;
• the right to develop to the fullest;
• protection from harmful influences, abuse and exploitation;
• the right to participate fully in family, cultural and social life.
The four core principles of the Convention are non-discrimination; devotion to the best interests of the child; the right to life, survival and development; and respect for the views of the child.
Under the Convention, a child is defined as “… every human being below the age of eighteen years unless, under the law applicable to the child, majority is attained earlier.”
For the first time the 1st of June was celebrated as an International Day for Protection of Children in 1950.
Armenia had ratified the Convention on the Rights of the Children in 1992, after which in 1996 “The law on children’s rights” were passed in Armenian Parliament.
The first of June is celebrated almost in all post-soviet countries.
In addition to the 1st of June there is another also important Day dedicated to Children and their rights, which is celebreted on the 20th of November – it’s Universal Children’s day.
During the first month of summer, more precisely on the 12th og June, World Day against Against Child Labor is celebrated.
The International Labour Organization (ILO) launched the World Day Against Child Labour in 2002 to focus attention on the global extent of child labour and the action and efforts needed to eliminate it. Each year on 12 June, the World Day brings together governments, employers and workers organizations, civil society, as well as millions of people from around the world to highlight the plight of child labourers and what can be done to help them.
Today around the world, large numbers of children are engaged in paid or unpaid domestic work in the home of a third party or employer. These children can be particularly vulnerable to exploitation. Their work is often hidden from the public eye, they may be isolated, and they may be working far away from their family home. Stories of the abuse of children in domestic work are all too common.
So lets try to make these and all the rest of days brighter, paint children’s lives by different colors of kindness and love.
After all, they are our future and they just deserve it!
- Statement of MFA of Armenia on the adoption of Resolution 296 affirming the US record on the Armenian Genocide by US House of Representatives
- Pushed by latest Turkey aggression, House passes resolution formally commemorating the Armenian Genocide. The Boston Globe
- Today is renowned Armenian actor Sos Sargsyan's birthday
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 2-3 degrees, in the daytime of 20 it will go down as much
- Recipe Corner: Stuffed Roma Tomatoes with Three Cheeses
- Armenian PM, President of Artsakh discuss mutual cooperation in Yerevan
- President of Armenia holds meeting with delegation of Confindustria Russia
- Coffee may be useful in the fight against diabetes, scientist say
- Armenia's Haypost wins first prize at Europa Stamps 2019
- 2,000 CSTO troops participating in Search 2019 exercise
- Nepal, China agree to remeasure height of Mt Everest: Times of India
- One of the rarest coins in the world dating back to 723AD goes on sale for £1.6MILLION
- Aronian and Hakobyan are half a point behind tournament leaders
- Armenian FM, OSCE MG Co-Chairs highlight formation of favorable environment for peace
- Japan Typhoon death toll rises: NHK
- Airbus delegation to visit Armenia at President’s invitation
- Armenian PM receives OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs
- Syrian army enters Manbij to block Turkey’s expansion
- Today is Global Handwashing Day
- Kim Kardashian “emotional” over visit to Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute
- US sanctions Turkish ministries over Syria offensive
- Remote working may increase stress, reduce well-being: study
- Lepsius House, Genocide Museum Signs Cooperation Agreement
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 3-4 degrees
- Holy Trinity Armenian Apostolic Church Bread Sticks (Simit)