Today is International day for children protection
The 1st of June International Day for Protection of Children or Children’s Day is recognized on various days in many places around the world, to honor children globally. So this Day means not only the first day of the summer, but something more for children’s future.
They say International Day for Protection of Children is the oldest International holiday in the world. International Day for Protection of Children is set in 1925 year during World Conference for the Protection of Children in Geneva.
Protection of children’s rights is fixed in many international documents and resolution, including UN General Assembly Declaration of the Rights of the Child adopted in 1959 and Convention on the Rights of the Child adopted in 1989. These documents actually considered children as the most vulnerable social group of society.
On 20 November 1959 the United Nations General Assembly adopted a much expanded version as its own Declaration of the Rights of the Child, adding ten principles in place of the original five.
This date has been adopted as the Universal Children’s Day.
In 1989, the Convention on the Rights of the Child was adopted by UN General Assembly. On September 2, 1990 it became international law with one notable exception: the US signed the Charter but has not ratified it. The Convention consists of 54 articles that address the basic human rights to children everywhere are entitled:
• the right to survival;
• the right to develop to the fullest;
• protection from harmful influences, abuse and exploitation;
• the right to participate fully in family, cultural and social life.
The four core principles of the Convention are non-discrimination; devotion to the best interests of the child; the right to life, survival and development; and respect for the views of the child.
Under the Convention, a child is defined as “… every human being below the age of eighteen years unless, under the law applicable to the child, majority is attained earlier.”
For the first time the 1st of June was celebrated as an International Day for Protection of Children in 1950.
Armenia had ratified the Convention on the Rights of the Children in 1992, after which in 1996 “The law on children’s rights” were passed in Armenian Parliament.
The first of June is celebrated almost in all post-soviet countries.
In addition to the 1st of June there is another also important Day dedicated to Children and their rights, which is celebreted on the 20th of November – it’s Universal Children’s day.
During the first month of summer, more precisely on the 12th og June, World Day against Against Child Labor is celebrated.
The International Labour Organization (ILO) launched the World Day Against Child Labour in 2002 to focus attention on the global extent of child labour and the action and efforts needed to eliminate it. Each year on 12 June, the World Day brings together governments, employers and workers organizations, civil society, as well as millions of people from around the world to highlight the plight of child labourers and what can be done to help them.
Today around the world, large numbers of children are engaged in paid or unpaid domestic work in the home of a third party or employer. These children can be particularly vulnerable to exploitation. Their work is often hidden from the public eye, they may be isolated, and they may be working far away from their family home. Stories of the abuse of children in domestic work are all too common.
So lets try to make these and all the rest of days brighter, paint children’s lives by different colors of kindness and love.
After all, they are our future and they just deserve it!
- Recipe Corner: Auntie Zee’s World-Famous Apricot Jam from Fresno
- Technovation Armenia 2019 Program Concludes with Awards
- Armenian Artists in Research and Dialogue
- Katherine Hodgson: Researching the Beautiful and Fascinating Armenian Language
- Trump orders companies to seek "alternative markets" to China
- North Korea launches two more ballistic missiles into sea: Seoul
- Pashinyan Backs Major Mining Project In Armenia
- How to increase life expectancy?
- ‘Abandoned’ Armenian Properties around the World: Part III
- Serena Williams paired with Maria Sharapova in U.S. Open first round
- Armenian PM congratulates Ukraine on Independence Day
- Trump talks about serving '14 more years' as president: Independent
- UNESCO delegation visits Armenia Ministry of Education, Science, Culture and Sport
- Drinking coffee first thing in the morning can be bad
- Viennese Apple Strudel recipe
- Yerevan among cities Russian tourists keep returning to: study
- Over the next 5 days a high risk of fire is predicted in the valleys and foothills of the Republic
- U.S. offer to sell Patriot system to Turkey has expired: Reuters
- 71-story skyscraper to be erected in Yerevan
- Armenian army delegation attends CIS armed forces general staffs' chiefs session
- What’s The Right Amount of Sleep?: WebMD
- Armenian President repeals decree depriving Vagharshak Harutyunyan of military rank
- Armenian national team U19 defeats Lebanese national team
- Assad forces threaten Turkish observation posts in Idlib
- Japan's tallest skyscraper to be built in Tokyo: NHK