Today is International Museum Day
Every year on May 18, museum workers around the world celebrate their professional holiday - the International Museum Day. It appeared on the calendar in 1977, when the regular session of the ICOM (International Council of Museums) accepted the proposal of the Russian organization to establish this cultural holiday.
Since 1978, the International Museum Day has been celebrated in more than 150 countries.
It is generally believed that through museums, society expresses its attitude to the historical and cultural heritage, and it is difficult to disagree with this.
Every year since 1992, the holiday has had its specific direction, dedicated to issues of museum activity, such as illegal export of museum values, the role of museums in raising the culture of society and others.
The theme of the Museum Day in 2017 was "Museums and controversial history: talking about complexities in museums", and in 2018 - "Museums in the era of hyper communications: new approaches, new audiences".
Museums are an important means of cultural exchange, the enrichment of cultures and the development of mutual understanding, cooperation and peace between people.
- On July 21 the air temperature will go up by 3-4 degrees NEW 23 MINUTES AGO
- Remembering Artist Gayane Khachaturian in the Decade Since Her Passing
- WHO declares int'l emergency over Congo Ebola outbreak
- Russian space chief congratulates NASA head on 50th anniversary of moon landing
- Crew of detained British tanker to remain on board until investigation is over — agency
- Zohrab Mnatsakanyan met with Secretary General of Organization of American States
- Cyprus completes domestic procedures for Armenia-EU agreement ratification
- Aram's 23 issue should be resolved within law: Tigran Hekekyan is guest of Hay Dzayn Today
- Prime Minister attends “My Step for Shirak Province” Armenia business forum
- Young Armenian mathematicians won medals at International London Olympiad
- Armenia President in Lori Province on working visit
- Today is International Chess Day
- Today is Armenian painter Minas Avetisyan’s birthday
- Music "reportedly calms nerves before surgery as well as sedative
- Daily coffee doesn't affect cancer risk: study
- On July 21 the air temperature will go up by 3-4 degrees
- Situation in Persian Gulf fraught with outbreak of conflict, senior diplomat warns
- 5.0 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Athens, Greece
- Alexis Ohanian to moderate panel at WCIT 2019 in Yerevan
- Armenian President holds farewell meeting with Ambassador of Argentina
- Iran says US shoots down their own drone
- Lavrov calls on parties to Iran nuclear deal to stay committed to common positions
- Ijevan clash criminal case: 22 people detained, 11 others being sought
- Artsakh President receives delegation of Armenia’s Public Services Regulatory Commission
- NordWind Airlines’ reserve plane lands in Yerevan