Today is International Museum Day
Every year on May 18, museum workers around the world celebrate their professional holiday - the International Museum Day. It appeared on the calendar in 1977, when the regular session of the ICOM (International Council of Museums) accepted the proposal of the Russian organization to establish this cultural holiday.
Since 1978, the International Museum Day has been celebrated in more than 150 countries.
It is generally believed that through museums, society expresses its attitude to the historical and cultural heritage, and it is difficult to disagree with this.
Every year since 1992, the holiday has had its specific direction, dedicated to issues of museum activity, such as illegal export of museum values, the role of museums in raising the culture of society and others.
The theme of the Museum Day in 2017 was "Museums and controversial history: talking about complexities in museums", and in 2018 - "Museums in the era of hyper communications: new approaches, new audiences".
Museums are an important means of cultural exchange, the enrichment of cultures and the development of mutual understanding, cooperation and peace between people.
- Statement of MFA of Armenia on the adoption of Resolution 296 affirming the US record on the Armenian Genocide by US House of Representatives
- Pushed by latest Turkey aggression, House passes resolution formally commemorating the Armenian Genocide. The Boston Globe
- Today is renowned Armenian actor Sos Sargsyan's birthday
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 2-3 degrees, in the daytime of 20 it will go down as much
- Armenian PM, President of Artsakh discuss mutual cooperation in Yerevan
- Recipe Corner: Stuffed Roma Tomatoes with Three Cheeses
- President of Armenia holds meeting with delegation of Confindustria Russia
- Coffee may be useful in the fight against diabetes, scientist say
- Armenia's Haypost wins first prize at Europa Stamps 2019
- 2,000 CSTO troops participating in Search 2019 exercise
- Nepal, China agree to remeasure height of Mt Everest: Times of India
- One of the rarest coins in the world dating back to 723AD goes on sale for £1.6MILLION
- Aronian and Hakobyan are half a point behind tournament leaders
- Armenian FM, OSCE MG Co-Chairs highlight formation of favorable environment for peace
- Japan Typhoon death toll rises: NHK
- Airbus delegation to visit Armenia at President’s invitation
- Armenian PM receives OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs
- Syrian army enters Manbij to block Turkey’s expansion
- Today is Global Handwashing Day
- Kim Kardashian “emotional” over visit to Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute
- US sanctions Turkish ministries over Syria offensive
- Remote working may increase stress, reduce well-being: study
- Lepsius House, Genocide Museum Signs Cooperation Agreement
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 3-4 degrees
- Holy Trinity Armenian Apostolic Church Bread Sticks (Simit)