Today is International Museum Day
Every year on May 18, museum workers around the world celebrate their professional holiday - the International Museum Day. It appeared on the calendar in 1977, when the regular session of the ICOM (International Council of Museums) accepted the proposal of the Russian organization to establish this cultural holiday.
Since 1978, the International Museum Day has been celebrated in more than 150 countries.
It is generally believed that through museums, society expresses its attitude to the historical and cultural heritage, and it is difficult to disagree with this.
Every year since 1992, the holiday has had its specific direction, dedicated to issues of museum activity, such as illegal export of museum values, the role of museums in raising the culture of society and others.
The theme of the Museum Day in 2017 was "Museums and controversial history: talking about complexities in museums", and in 2018 - "Museums in the era of hyper communications: new approaches, new audiences".
Museums are an important means of cultural exchange, the enrichment of cultures and the development of mutual understanding, cooperation and peace between people.
- Armenia PM calls to block entrances and exits of all courts on Monday
- Today is the Armenian cinema founder Hamo Beknazarian’s birthday
- Primate Findikyan Refocuses Direction of Eastern Diocese, Assembly Covers Wide-ranging Issues
- Recipe Corner: Faloodeh or Paludeh ye Shirazi
- Trump may replace Green Card with "Build America" visa
- Syrian air defenses "activated over suspected Israeli airstrikes"
- Court orders release of ex-President Robert Kocharyan
- IMF OKs $250 mln stand-by arrangement for Armenia
- Risks and danger of high cholesterol levels
- Cadence Ensemble Performed Gomidas and Other Armenian Works in Washington (video)
- Europe Day events in Armenia will culminate in Yerevan on May 26
- Oil Prices Down
- Yerevan subway to operate on heightened mode today
- Vigil and Commemoration in Berlin
- Today is International Museum Day
- A Year after the Velvet Revolution
- In the daytime of May 17 the air temperature will increase by 1-2 degrees
- Armenia, Iraq joining forces to curb terrorists’ use of high techs
- Pashinyan intends to meet with Putin at SPIEF-2019
- Various events to be held in Matenadaran within Museum Day
- Chinese FM to visit Armenia
- Political prisoner Sevan Nisanyan granted Armenian citizenship two years after escaping Turkish prison
- US cuts Turkish steel tariffs by half to 25% : FT
- Belarusian cultural delegation visits Armenian Genocide Memorial in Yerevan
- Olympic future of boxing to be decided on May 22