Today is International Museum Day
Every year on May 18, museum workers around the world celebrate their professional holiday - the International Museum Day. It appeared on the calendar in 1977, when the regular session of the ICOM (International Council of Museums) accepted the proposal of the Russian organization to establish this cultural holiday.
Since 1978, the International Museum Day has been celebrated in more than 150 countries.
It is generally believed that through museums, society expresses its attitude to the historical and cultural heritage, and it is difficult to disagree with this.
Every year since 1992, the holiday has had its specific direction, dedicated to issues of museum activity, such as illegal export of museum values, the role of museums in raising the culture of society and others.
The theme of the Museum Day in 2017 was "Museums and controversial history: talking about complexities in museums", and in 2018 - "Museums in the era of hyper communications: new approaches, new audiences".
Museums are an important means of cultural exchange, the enrichment of cultures and the development of mutual understanding, cooperation and peace between people.
- Recipe Corner: Auntie Zee’s World-Famous Apricot Jam from Fresno
- Technovation Armenia 2019 Program Concludes with Awards
- Armenian Artists in Research and Dialogue
- Katherine Hodgson: Researching the Beautiful and Fascinating Armenian Language
- Trump orders companies to seek "alternative markets" to China
- North Korea launches two more ballistic missiles into sea: Seoul
- Pashinyan Backs Major Mining Project In Armenia
- How to increase life expectancy?
- ‘Abandoned’ Armenian Properties around the World: Part III
- Serena Williams paired with Maria Sharapova in U.S. Open first round
- Armenian PM congratulates Ukraine on Independence Day
- Trump talks about serving '14 more years' as president: Independent
- UNESCO delegation visits Armenia Ministry of Education, Science, Culture and Sport
- Drinking coffee first thing in the morning can be bad
- Viennese Apple Strudel recipe
- Yerevan among cities Russian tourists keep returning to: study
- Over the next 5 days a high risk of fire is predicted in the valleys and foothills of the Republic
- U.S. offer to sell Patriot system to Turkey has expired: Reuters
- 71-story skyscraper to be erected in Yerevan
- Armenian army delegation attends CIS armed forces general staffs' chiefs session
- What’s The Right Amount of Sleep?: WebMD
- Armenian President repeals decree depriving Vagharshak Harutyunyan of military rank
- Armenian national team U19 defeats Lebanese national team
- Assad forces threaten Turkish observation posts in Idlib
- Japan's tallest skyscraper to be built in Tokyo: NHK