Today is Armenian linguist Manuk Abeghyan's birthday
Today is the Armenian literary critic, linguist, academician of the Academy of Sciences of the Armenian SSR Manuk Abeghyan’s birthday. Manuk Abeghyan was born on March 17 1865 in the village of Astapat in the the Erivan province Nakhichevan district.
He was Doctor of Philosophical (1898) and Philology (1935) sciences, Professor (1926). Academician of the Academy of Sciences of the Armenian Soviet Socialist Republic (1943). Honored Worker of Science (1935).
He studied at the Gevorgyan Ecclesiastical Seminary in Echmiadzin (1876-1875), as well as at the universities of Jena, Leipzig, Berlin and Paris (1893-1898). Abeghyan was one of the first lecturers of Yerevan University in 1923-1925. He was dean of the Historiography faculty, also, the head of the department.
Abeghyan’s name is associated with the development of a new stage in the classical Armenology. Abeghyan is the founder of the new Armenian folklore. In 1886 he recorded a new Moks version of the heroic epos "Sasna Tsrer" ("David and Mher", 1889) and conducted the first specialized research ("National Epos Novel", 1889-1890). Later on, based on the new records of the novel, he created a classic vision of the epos ("Armenian Folk Romance", 1908).
Abeghyan restored ancient Armenian mythology and an integral system of popular beliefs and laid the foundation for a new scientific theory of Armenian mythology ("Armenian popular beliefs", "Armenian folk myths in the “History of Armenia" by Movses Khorenatsi”, 1899).
Based on the above-mentioned works, Abeghyan wrote a fundamental study - "Armenian epic folklore". Abeghyan developed the scientific theory of Armenian ancient and new lyrical folklore, founded the scientific textology of Armenian folklore. Together with A.Ghanalayan and G. Abov composed the scientific consolidated text of the epos "David Sasunsky" and medieval hayrens - "Gusan folk songs".
Abeghyan also touched upon the formation of new Armenian literature, the development of Armenian literary and artistic thought and writing, as well as history ("The History of Old Armenian Literature" (1944-1946, V. 1-2.) Since 1910, Abeghyan studied the Armenian poetic versification.
Abeghyan’s contribution to the development of the Armenian language, in particular to the scientific study of the Eastern Armenian language ("Syntax of ashkharabar", 1912, "The Theory of the Armenian Language", 1931) is great. Abeghyan is the founder of the new spelling of the Armenian language. He was engaged in the publishing of significant written monuments.
Manuk Abeghyan died on September 25 1944. The Institute of Literature of NAS RA and School No. 3 in Yerevan were named after Abegyan.
- Iranian President congratulates Armenian leader on Nowruz
- Turkey's Erdogan opens giant theme park in Ankara amid safety concerns
- EU to Finance €23 Million TUMO Convergence Center for Engineering
- In the daytime of March 24-26 the air temperature will go down by 5-6 degrees
- Erdoğan: Agia Sophia will never be a church as long as there is turkish people
- Territorial concession means destruction of Artsakh and Armenia security: Masis Mailyan
- CineCulture and the Armenian Studies Program Present the Fresno State Screening of “Yeva”
- Ararat Mirzoyan discussed importance of launching EU visa liberalization talks for Armenia during Germany visit
- Hayk Martirosyan and Robert Hovhannisyan won victories at European Individual Chess Championship
- U.S.-backed fighters say operation at last Islamic State enclave not over
- Armenian mogul's firm to build 75-storey skyscraper in Dubai
- New holiday: Citizen's Day will appear in the Armenian calendar
- Agricultural production in EAEU countries increased by 19% in recent years
- RA government approved ratification of amendments to CSTO legal status agreement
- Diplomat with Armenian roots: today is Sergey Lavrov's birthday
- State Urban Development Committee has new Chairperson
- Pashinyan congratulates Kurdish community of Armenia on Nawroz
- Baku should make concessions on Artsakh issue: US presidential candidate
- “How to SART UP for Young People”
- Today is International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination
- Beeline Armenia CEO Andrey Pyatakhin recited poems in Armenian on World Poetry Day and Tumanyan's 150th anniversary
- Equal rights and possibilities for everyone in economic sphere is a must: David Babayan
- Today is World Poetry Day
- Zohrab Mnatsakanyan delivered a speech on International Francophonie Day
- Letter to the Editor: ‘You Are What Your Record Says You Are’