Today is Armenian linguist Manuk Abeghyan's birthday
Today is the Armenian literary critic, linguist, academician of the Academy of Sciences of the Armenian SSR Manuk Abeghyan’s birthday. Manuk Abeghyan was born on March 17 1865 in the village of Astapat in the the Erivan province Nakhichevan district.
He was Doctor of Philosophical (1898) and Philology (1935) sciences, Professor (1926). Academician of the Academy of Sciences of the Armenian Soviet Socialist Republic (1943). Honored Worker of Science (1935).
He studied at the Gevorgyan Ecclesiastical Seminary in Echmiadzin (1876-1875), as well as at the universities of Jena, Leipzig, Berlin and Paris (1893-1898). Abeghyan was one of the first lecturers of Yerevan University in 1923-1925. He was dean of the Historiography faculty, also, the head of the department.
Abeghyan’s name is associated with the development of a new stage in the classical Armenology. Abeghyan is the founder of the new Armenian folklore. In 1886 he recorded a new Moks version of the heroic epos "Sasna Tsrer" ("David and Mher", 1889) and conducted the first specialized research ("National Epos Novel", 1889-1890). Later on, based on the new records of the novel, he created a classic vision of the epos ("Armenian Folk Romance", 1908).
Abeghyan restored ancient Armenian mythology and an integral system of popular beliefs and laid the foundation for a new scientific theory of Armenian mythology ("Armenian popular beliefs", "Armenian folk myths in the “History of Armenia" by Movses Khorenatsi”, 1899).
Based on the above-mentioned works, Abeghyan wrote a fundamental study - "Armenian epic folklore". Abeghyan developed the scientific theory of Armenian ancient and new lyrical folklore, founded the scientific textology of Armenian folklore. Together with A.Ghanalayan and G. Abov composed the scientific consolidated text of the epos "David Sasunsky" and medieval hayrens - "Gusan folk songs".
Abeghyan also touched upon the formation of new Armenian literature, the development of Armenian literary and artistic thought and writing, as well as history ("The History of Old Armenian Literature" (1944-1946, V. 1-2.) Since 1910, Abeghyan studied the Armenian poetic versification.
Abeghyan’s contribution to the development of the Armenian language, in particular to the scientific study of the Eastern Armenian language ("Syntax of ashkharabar", 1912, "The Theory of the Armenian Language", 1931) is great. Abeghyan is the founder of the new spelling of the Armenian language. He was engaged in the publishing of significant written monuments.
Manuk Abeghyan died on September 25 1944. The Institute of Literature of NAS RA and School No. 3 in Yerevan were named after Abegyan.
- On July 21 the air temperature will go up by 3-4 degrees NEW 9 MINUTES AGO
- Remembering Artist Gayane Khachaturian in the Decade Since Her Passing
- WHO declares int'l emergency over Congo Ebola outbreak
- Russian space chief congratulates NASA head on 50th anniversary of moon landing
- Crew of detained British tanker to remain on board until investigation is over — agency
- Zohrab Mnatsakanyan met with Secretary General of Organization of American States
- Cyprus completes domestic procedures for Armenia-EU agreement ratification
- Aram's 23 issue should be resolved within law: Tigran Hekekyan is guest of Hay Dzayn Today
- Prime Minister attends “My Step for Shirak Province” Armenia business forum
- Young Armenian mathematicians won medals at International London Olympiad
- Armenia President in Lori Province on working visit
- Today is International Chess Day
- Today is Armenian painter Minas Avetisyan’s birthday
- Music "reportedly calms nerves before surgery as well as sedative
- Daily coffee doesn't affect cancer risk: study
- On July 21 the air temperature will go up by 3-4 degrees
- Situation in Persian Gulf fraught with outbreak of conflict, senior diplomat warns
- 5.0 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Athens, Greece
- Alexis Ohanian to moderate panel at WCIT 2019 in Yerevan
- Armenian President holds farewell meeting with Ambassador of Argentina
- Iran says US shoots down their own drone
- Lavrov calls on parties to Iran nuclear deal to stay committed to common positions
- Ijevan clash criminal case: 22 people detained, 11 others being sought
- Artsakh President receives delegation of Armenia’s Public Services Regulatory Commission
- NordWind Airlines’ reserve plane lands in Yerevan