Today is composer Armen Tigranyan's birthday
Armen Tigrani Tigranian or Tigranyan or Dikranian was an Armenian music composer and conductor. He is best-known for two national operas, Anoush and Davit Bek (1950); the latter of which premiered only months before his death and was his final composition.
Tigranian was born in Alexandropol, present-day Gyumri, Armenia.
He started becoming interested in music at early age. Tigranian received his musical training in Tbilisi, and in 1902, he finished his education at the Tbilisi Music College, studying composition with Makar Ekmalyan. He devoted himself to teaching and continued composing music, mainly songs and romances inspired by Armenian folk traditions.
Tigranian's opera Anoush was written in 1908 and remodeled in 1932. It is called the "national opera of the Armenian people" Anoush is based on Hovhannes Tumanian's story of countryside romance and tragedy captured the attention of audiences and became a perennial of the concert repertoire. The American premiere of Anoush took place in 1981 at Michigan Opera Theatre.
The history of Karabakh Melikdoms inspired the opera David Bek (1950).
Among the other works by Tigranian are the drama Leily and Mejnun, Eastern Dance for symphonic orchestra and New Spring chorus for four voices.
Tigranyan is buried in the Yerevan Central Cemetery also known as Tokhmakh cemetery. According to hush.am (Armenian genealogical initiative) he shares a grave with Elizaveta Aristakesyan and Vardan Tigranyan.
- Statement of MFA of Armenia on the adoption of Resolution 296 affirming the US record on the Armenian Genocide by US House of Representatives
- Pushed by latest Turkey aggression, House passes resolution formally commemorating the Armenian Genocide. The Boston Globe
- Today is renowned Armenian actor Sos Sargsyan's birthday
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 2-3 degrees, in the daytime of 20 it will go down as much
- Armenian PM, President of Artsakh discuss mutual cooperation in Yerevan
- Recipe Corner: Stuffed Roma Tomatoes with Three Cheeses
- President of Armenia holds meeting with delegation of Confindustria Russia
- Coffee may be useful in the fight against diabetes, scientist say
- Armenia's Haypost wins first prize at Europa Stamps 2019
- 2,000 CSTO troops participating in Search 2019 exercise
- Nepal, China agree to remeasure height of Mt Everest: Times of India
- One of the rarest coins in the world dating back to 723AD goes on sale for £1.6MILLION
- Aronian and Hakobyan are half a point behind tournament leaders
- Armenian FM, OSCE MG Co-Chairs highlight formation of favorable environment for peace
- Japan Typhoon death toll rises: NHK
- Airbus delegation to visit Armenia at President’s invitation
- Armenian PM receives OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs
- Syrian army enters Manbij to block Turkey’s expansion
- Today is Global Handwashing Day
- Kim Kardashian “emotional” over visit to Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute
- US sanctions Turkish ministries over Syria offensive
- Remote working may increase stress, reduce well-being: study
- Lepsius House, Genocide Museum Signs Cooperation Agreement
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 3-4 degrees
- Holy Trinity Armenian Apostolic Church Bread Sticks (Simit)