Today is Armenian prominent sculptor Ervand Kochar’s birthday
«The true creation is like wine. Grapes, grown under the sunshine, are collected and moved to the cellar. Then they enjoy wine during the occasions of love, birth, success, sadness an mourning. Delicious wine is spread all over the world, decorating tables. The true creation is like wine».
Armenian outstanding sculptor Ervand Kochar was born on June 15, 1899 in Tiflis, to Simeon's family. He received his primary education at the Nersisyan School from 1906 to 1918 and at the same time studied at the School of Painting and Sculpture at the Caucasian Society of Fine Arts, which is well-known as the Schmerling School.
In 1918-1919 Kochar left for Moscow, where he studied at State Free Art Studio, in Konchalovsky's class.
Love is the only thing that lives when hungry, and dies when it is satisfied.
At that period, the painter's exhibitions start to take place. For thirteen years, he participated in exhibitions with Picasso, Kandinsky, Miro, and Dilano, and all this led to Ervand Kochar's creation of a new plastic-painting expression - "spatial drawing".
So, Kochar was on his way to becoming reknown to the world, but the repatriation phase began and he returned to Armenia in 1936 and stayed here for 30 years.
Living without failure would mean taking the path to weak resistance.
Kochar was accepted to the Union of Artists of Armenia and participated in local exhibitions. Very soon the Communist regime showed its bad sides and accused Kochar of formalism, which was equal to the label of the "enemy of the people", but at that stage he enjoyed great publicity and his works were exhibited in the Russian Museum of Saint Petersburg, the Tretyakov Gallery and the Museum of Oriental Arts in Moscow, and the National Gallery of Armenia.
In 1955, despite the fact that Kochar was in Armenia, his regular exhibition in Paris took place through the efforts of his wife Meline Ohanyan. She always hoped that Kochar would return to Paris, but as we will see later, her hopes were in vain. At this stage his "Eagle of Zvartnots", "Melancholia", "The Muse of Cybernetics", "Vardan Mamikonyan" and many other works were created.
“Sasuntsi Davit” became Yervand Kochar's creation peak, for which he was awarded the State Prize in 1961, in 1956 he became People's Artist of Armenia, in 1976 - People's Artist of the USSR.
There are quite interesting stories about “Sasuntsi Davit”, in particular, that Kochar was offered to create a sculpture on the occasion of the 1000th anniversary of the national epic just a month and a half before it. Soon, Kochar presented the gypsum version of the statue to the relevant body, after which he was arrested in the summer of 1941, as some claimed that Davit's sword was directed to "friend" Turkey. Kochar remained in prison for two years.
After exiting the prison, Kochar continued his activity with greater enthusiasm, organizing his first solo exhibition in Yerevan in 1965, and ten years later, Vardan Mamikonyan's statue appeared in Yerevan. Kochar's next exhibition, already posthumously, was held in 1984.
When a person is lost to all, he finds himself and his God.
Еrvand Kochar died on January 22, 1979 in Yerevan. The Еrvand Kochar Museum was opened in Yerevan in 1984, the only one in Armenia and the second in the world where his works can be seen. Kochar’s works are also exhibited at the Pompidou Center in Paris. An exhibition dedicated to his 90th birthday was opened in Paris in 1989.
In 2009, in Yerevan, in the yard of the National Assembly, a five-fold bronze statue of his "Biblical David" sculpture is placed. In 2015, the National Gallery of Armenia together with Ervand Kochar Museum presented "Ervand Kochar: the dialogue of generations" exhibition.
- Statement of MFA of Armenia on the adoption of Resolution 296 affirming the US record on the Armenian Genocide by US House of Representatives
- Pushed by latest Turkey aggression, House passes resolution formally commemorating the Armenian Genocide. The Boston Globe
- Today is renowned Armenian actor Sos Sargsyan's birthday
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 2-3 degrees, in the daytime of 20 it will go down as much
- Recipe Corner: Stuffed Roma Tomatoes with Three Cheeses
- Armenian PM, President of Artsakh discuss mutual cooperation in Yerevan
- President of Armenia holds meeting with delegation of Confindustria Russia
- Coffee may be useful in the fight against diabetes, scientist say
- Armenia's Haypost wins first prize at Europa Stamps 2019
- 2,000 CSTO troops participating in Search 2019 exercise
- Nepal, China agree to remeasure height of Mt Everest: Times of India
- One of the rarest coins in the world dating back to 723AD goes on sale for £1.6MILLION
- Aronian and Hakobyan are half a point behind tournament leaders
- Armenian FM, OSCE MG Co-Chairs highlight formation of favorable environment for peace
- Japan Typhoon death toll rises: NHK
- Airbus delegation to visit Armenia at President’s invitation
- Armenian PM receives OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs
- Syrian army enters Manbij to block Turkey’s expansion
- Today is Global Handwashing Day
- Kim Kardashian “emotional” over visit to Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute
- US sanctions Turkish ministries over Syria offensive
- Remote working may increase stress, reduce well-being: study
- Lepsius House, Genocide Museum Signs Cooperation Agreement
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 3-4 degrees
- Holy Trinity Armenian Apostolic Church Bread Sticks (Simit)