Today is birthday of the Armenian national liberation movement famous leader Mkrtich Avetisyan
Today is the birthday of the leader of the Armenian national liberation movement Mkrtich Avetisyan. Mkrtich Avetisyan was born in 1864 in the city of Van. he was the leader of the Armenian national liberation movement, as well as one of the founders of the Armenakan organization.
He studied at home in the Armenian schools of Van, was a student of Mkrtich Portugalyan, later became his ideological follower. Avetisyan was engaged in teaching activities.
In 1885, he took part in the founding of a secret revolutionary organization in Van, which shared the ideas of the "Armenia" newspaper published in Marseilles by M. Portugalyan.
Fleeing persecution from the Turkish authorities, Avetisyan moved to Salmast (Iran), where he opened Armenian schools in a number of villages, then to the Caucasus and Constantinople. Here in 1889 he was arrested, exiled to Tripoli, but he fled, arrived in Marseille, where he began to cooperate in the "Armenia" newspaper.
In 1890 published the book "Armenians of Turkey and their neighbors". In subsequent years, he was an inspector of Armenian schools of Salmast, Urmia, Khoy (Iran).
In 1894, as a correspondent for the newspaper "Armenia", he was part of the mission of Mkrtich Khrimyan, who was negotiating with the Russian Tsar in St. Petersburg.
In 1896 he took an active part in the leadership of Van's self-defense. Under the onslaught of the Turks, the defenders took refuge in the monastery of Varaga. Avetisyan with his fighters (about 1000 people) decided to move to Iran, but was surrounded by Turkish troops and Kurdish forces at the monastery of St. Bartholomew. Not wanting to surrender, Avetisyan fought to the last opportunity and fell in the battle in 1896.
In the issue of the national liberation struggle of the Armenian people, Avetisyan urged to avoid ostentatious, inflammatory actions, not to pin hopes on the help of European countries, to rely on their own strength, to carefully prepare people for self-defense.
- Statement of MFA of Armenia on the adoption of Resolution 296 affirming the US record on the Armenian Genocide by US House of Representatives
- Pushed by latest Turkey aggression, House passes resolution formally commemorating the Armenian Genocide. The Boston Globe
- Today is renowned Armenian actor Sos Sargsyan's birthday
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 2-3 degrees, in the daytime of 20 it will go down as much
- Armenian PM, President of Artsakh discuss mutual cooperation in Yerevan
- Recipe Corner: Stuffed Roma Tomatoes with Three Cheeses
- President of Armenia holds meeting with delegation of Confindustria Russia
- Coffee may be useful in the fight against diabetes, scientist say
- Armenia's Haypost wins first prize at Europa Stamps 2019
- 2,000 CSTO troops participating in Search 2019 exercise
- Nepal, China agree to remeasure height of Mt Everest: Times of India
- One of the rarest coins in the world dating back to 723AD goes on sale for £1.6MILLION
- Aronian and Hakobyan are half a point behind tournament leaders
- Armenian FM, OSCE MG Co-Chairs highlight formation of favorable environment for peace
- Japan Typhoon death toll rises: NHK
- Airbus delegation to visit Armenia at President’s invitation
- Armenian PM receives OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs
- Syrian army enters Manbij to block Turkey’s expansion
- Today is Global Handwashing Day
- Kim Kardashian “emotional” over visit to Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute
- US sanctions Turkish ministries over Syria offensive
- Remote working may increase stress, reduce well-being: study
- Lepsius House, Genocide Museum Signs Cooperation Agreement
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 3-4 degrees
- Holy Trinity Armenian Apostolic Church Bread Sticks (Simit)