Today is birthday of the Armenian national liberation movement famous leader Mkrtich Avetisyan
Today is the birthday of the leader of the Armenian national liberation movement Mkrtich Avetisyan. Mkrtich Avetisyan was born in 1864 in the city of Van. he was the leader of the Armenian national liberation movement, as well as one of the founders of the Armenakan organization.
He studied at home in the Armenian schools of Van, was a student of Mkrtich Portugalyan, later became his ideological follower. Avetisyan was engaged in teaching activities.
In 1885, he took part in the founding of a secret revolutionary organization in Van, which shared the ideas of the "Armenia" newspaper published in Marseilles by M. Portugalyan.
Fleeing persecution from the Turkish authorities, Avetisyan moved to Salmast (Iran), where he opened Armenian schools in a number of villages, then to the Caucasus and Constantinople. Here in 1889 he was arrested, exiled to Tripoli, but he fled, arrived in Marseille, where he began to cooperate in the "Armenia" newspaper.
In 1890 published the book "Armenians of Turkey and their neighbors". In subsequent years, he was an inspector of Armenian schools of Salmast, Urmia, Khoy (Iran).
In 1894, as a correspondent for the newspaper "Armenia", he was part of the mission of Mkrtich Khrimyan, who was negotiating with the Russian Tsar in St. Petersburg.
In 1896 he took an active part in the leadership of Van's self-defense. Under the onslaught of the Turks, the defenders took refuge in the monastery of Varaga. Avetisyan with his fighters (about 1000 people) decided to move to Iran, but was surrounded by Turkish troops and Kurdish forces at the monastery of St. Bartholomew. Not wanting to surrender, Avetisyan fought to the last opportunity and fell in the battle in 1896.
In the issue of the national liberation struggle of the Armenian people, Avetisyan urged to avoid ostentatious, inflammatory actions, not to pin hopes on the help of European countries, to rely on their own strength, to carefully prepare people for self-defense.
- Elizabeth II congratulates Sarkissian on Armenian Independence Day NEW 7 MINUTES AGO
- Burj Khalifa to light up in Armenian flag colors on Independence day NEW 32 MINUTES AGO
- Highest paid rapper in the world named
- Armenia climb two spots in latest FIFA ranking
- Xi Jinping congratulates Armenian people on Independence Day
- Russia’s Putin congratulates Armenian President on Independence Day
- Yuri Khachaturov's son awarded title of Major General
- President Sarkissian received Boeing International Corporation delegation
- HayPost cancels postage stamp dedicated to religion
- Iran warns of attacks by US or Saudi Arabia
- Actor Babken Chobanyan bestowed with Honorary Title of Honored Artist of Armenia
- President Sarkissian awards writer Alexander Topchyan with medal
- Today is Vazgen I birthday
- Yekaterinburg to host a concert to mark Komitas's 150th anniversary
- Armenia, Azerbaijan FMs to meet in New York on September 23
- Labor strike and boycotting of classes in Jermuk town for saving Amulsar
- Arman Sargsyan appointed acting Armenian police chief
- Instagram Users Under 18 Will Soon Be Blocked From Seeing Posts Promoting Certain Cosmetic Surgery And Diet Products: Buzzfeed
- Earthquake hits Armenia's Shirak Province
- On September 22-23 the air temperature will gradually go down by 8-10 degrees
- Armenian Nuclear Power Plant can smoothly operate until 2026, says Russian expert
- FIDE World Cup 2019: Aronian to play against Vietnam’s Lê Quang Liêm
- George R.R. Martin confirms HBO Targaryen show
- Otyan as political satirist
- Top 5 high-calorie but healthy snacks