The issue of air defense and Armenia's security
A few days ago, on October 5, the National Assembly ratified the agreement on creation of the Armenian-Russian joint anti-aircraft defense (AER) system with 87 votes in favor and 7 against. It was signed a year ago and was ratified by the Russian parliament in July this year. The ratification by Armenia means that the Armenian-Russian agreement enters into force and enables the relevant ministries, to begin its implementation.
There was lots of controversy around the decision, and many viewed it as a threat to the security of the Republic of Armenia, noting that we are handing over the entire system of our country's air defense to the jurisdiction of Russia. The authorities were also blamed for the fact that under this agreement, the Republic of Armenia refuses of some of its sovereignty and similar things.
In the light of such comments, it is important to understand what is actually happening. By the way, the supporters of the loss of sovereignty emphasized the fact that it was unprecedented and directly influenced by the sovereignty of our state.
It is important to emphasize that firstly, the commander of the joint air defense system in the territory of Armenia is appointed by the Supreme Commander-in-Chief of our state, currently by the President and also exempted from his order.
In peaceful conditions, the contingent is subordinate to the Chief of the Armed Forces and during war it is determined jointly by the RA and RF Supreme Commander-in-Chief. Thus, the main mission of the given subdivision will be the defense of the air borders of the Republic of Armenia, which is of strategic importance to any state and, especially to Armenia, having no major air defense forces, its main emphasis on anti-aircraft defense system, therefore, Similar coordination of forces contributes to the deepening of Armenia's airspace.This agreement allows one system and one command, and in this case, to control the Armenian Armed Forces, all anti-aircraft systems operating in our country, including air defense systems in the Russian base. Moreover, such an agreement allows, if necessary, to incorporate the Russian anti-aircraft missiles in the North Caucasus, as well as to track and track different flying objects and report to the Joint Command.
It is important to emphasize that such systems have been operating in a number of NATO member countries in Europe for a long time to create anti-aircraft defense capabilities with the United States, using anti-aircraft defense bases in the United States. In other words, we can assert that in this case the rumors that it may affect the sovereignty of a given state is just political speculation. The experience of creating similar systems shows that it can be quite effective and enhance Armenia's air defense, which is of strategic importance to raising the overall defense level.
Armen Manvelyan, Candidate of Historical Sciences
- Armenian cuisine: trout with white wine
- Erdogan accused the US of arms supplies to the Kurds in Syria
- Armenian Chess Championship to kick off on January 11
- In the daytime of December 12, on 13 from time to time rain and fog is predicted
- US urged Americans to be cautious when visiting Armenia
- Dr. Tom Catena announced as chair of Aurora Humanitarian Initiative
- Term of General Manvel Grigoryan's arrest extended
- Recipe Corner: Avocado, Tomato and Basil Salad
- China ready to make concessions to the US: Bloomberg
- Conservatives initiated the issue of no confidence in Theresa May
- Mourning declared in Strasbourg for those killed in the shootings
- Ideal country for adventure tourism has become known
- Pro-state media, protecting national interests, always in demand: Hay Dzayn news agency is 2 years old
- Iran offers congratulations on successful elections in Armenia
- Merkel and May discuss further action around Brexit
- Another slap in the European democracy face
- What happens next in Armenia?
- Charles Aznavour’s monument will be raised in Moscow
- SDF troops capture half of IS' stronghold in southeast Deir ez-Zor
- Armenian cuisine: "Armavir" roast
- Iran confirms ‘important test’ of ballistic missile
- Precipitation and fog expected in the Republic
- Aznavour's son spoke about pain experienced during the days of the earthquake in Armenia
- Turkey began to establish a naval base on the Black Sea
- Arpie Otyag Celebrates Anniversary with Lecturer Dr. Lilit Garibyan and Ghapama: Armenian Mirror-Spectator