Kochari was included in the UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage List
The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) has included the Armenian Kochari traditional group dance in its list of intangible cultural heritage at the twelfth session of the Intergovernmental Committee for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage taking place in Jeju Island, Republic of Korea.
“Kochari, traditional group dance, just inscribed on the Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity,” the organization said on Twitter.
Earlier this year, Armenia’s application for including “Kochari traditional group dance” in UNESCO list was positively assessed by the independent experts of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity.
“Kochari is a traditional dance that is widely performed throughout Armenia during holidays, festive celebrations, family ceremonies and other social events. It is open to all participants, irrespective of age, gender or social status.
Kochari provides a sense of shared identity and solidarity, contributes to the continuity of historical, cultural and ethnic memory, and fosters mutual respect among community members of all ages. It is transmitted through both non-formal and formal means, and is one of the rare traditional dances whose chain of transmission has never been interrupted,” reads a statement on the organization’s official website.
Armenia ratified UNESCO Convention for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage (2003) in 2006 and, until now the organization has included four Armenian elements in its intangible cultural heritage list – the traditional Armenian bread lavash, the Armenian duduk, the khachkar (Armenian cross stones) and the Armenian national epic "David of Sassoun".
- Could sunscreen affect vitamin D deficiency?
- On September 22 the air temperature will go down by 8-10 degrees
- Armenia Wine's cognac wins silver at Int'l Wine & Spirit Competition
- Guest Recipe: Grapes Leaves with Rice, Lemon Juice, Olive Oil and Herbs
- Ten Volumes of Italian Diplomatic Documents on Armenians Soon to Be Completed
- Armenia Independence Day
- Putin congatulates Pashinyan
- Diabetes can be predicted at 8 years
- Trump says US supports desire of Armenian people to live in democratic country
- Exercise slows Alzheimer's Disease, study says
- Speaker of Parliament Ararat Mirzoyan offers congratulations on Independence Day
- World Cup: Levon Aronian started with a draw in the 1/8 finals
- Russia, China veto UN resolution calling for truce in Syria
- Bako Sahakyan congratulates Armenian counterpart on Independence Day
- Today is International Day of Peace
- Let’s protect and defend our state, our church, be tolerant and caring towards one another: Armenian President's congratulatory message on Independence Day
- Top officials of Armenia and Artsakh visit Yerablur military pantheon on Independence Day
- Independence Day of Armenia and International Day of Peace: September 21
- Post-Revolution Art: Dialogues about Revolution and Power
- Chicken liver salad recipe
- Armenia’s Police Chief Dismissed, Appointed Adviser To Pashinyan
- In the afternoon of September 21 the wind speed may reach up to 20-25 m/s
- French actor of Armenian descent Charles Gérard dies aged 96
- Elizabeth II congratulates Sarkissian on Armenian Independence Day
- Surp Amenaprkich Ghazanchetsots Cathedral in Shushi