Recipe Corner: Chilled Summer Squash and Potato Soup
6-7 medium zucchini, yellow crookneck or pattypan squash, sliced or diced
1 large onion, diced
2 medium garlic cloves, minced
2 cups potatoes, peeled, cubed or diced
2 medium stalks celery, diced (plus tops)
2 medium carrots, diced
6 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth (to taste)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter and 2 tablespoons olive oil (to taste)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (to taste)
1 teaspoon Kosher or sea salt
1/2 teaspoon white or black pepper
Pinch of dried thyme
Non-fat plain yogurt as garnish
Chopped chives, basil, parsley, paprika or mint as garnish
Half and half or fresh ricotta and juice of 1/2 lemon
In a large pot, sauté zucchini, onions, garlic, potatoes, celery and carrots in butter and olive oil for 10-12 minutes or until vegetables are tender, tossing occasionally.
Add the broth, lemon juice, salt, pepper and thyme, stir, and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Remove from heat and cool for 10 minutes.
In a food processor or blender, puree soup (in batches) until medium smooth, but there are traces of zucchini and carrots visible.
Serve at room temperature, if desired, or place in a container, cover, and chill for 4-6 hours or overnight.
To serve, whisk soup with half and half or ricotta, if desired, and a little lemon juice. Top with a dollop of yogurt and sprinkle with choice of chives, basil, parsley, paprika or mint.
Drizzle with olive oil and serve lemon wedges on the side.
Source: The Armenian Mirror-Spectator
- Family history researcher recovering stories of Armenians of Asia
- Assad tells Kurds Syrian army, not U.S. will protect them
- The air temperature will go up by 3-4 degrees
- Conference dedicated to Tumanyan's 150th anniversary to be held in Artsakh
- Putin and Erdogan to meet again: Ushakov
- Yerevan to host the first basketball tournament of EEU countries
- I am here to start a new partnership: Armen Sarkissian visits Munich Technical University
- World oil prices keep rising
- Europe biggest partner to Arab world: Sisi
- Russia delivered first Ka-32 multi-purpose helicopter to Turkey
- Marianne Auricoste: ‘I Grew Up with Armenia in My Heart’
- Egyptian President cites Armenian Genocide in Munich speech
- Iran's Zarif accuses Israel, U.S. of seeking war
- Consul General of Armenia in Los Angeles welcomed at the California Senate
- Iran says sending radio-medicines to 15 countries
- Tigran Avinyan to have new advisor
- Armenia intendsto buy 12 Su-30SM fighters from Russia
- Assad has declared inviolability of Syria constitution
- Armenian Guards of Honor perform jaw-dropping rifle maneuvers, drills at IDEX 2019 show
- Presentation of “Scientific Artsakh” journal took place in Stepanakert
- Armenian and Iranian FMs discuss regional, international issues at Munich Security Conference
- Armen Sarkissian and Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani held a meeting during Security Conference in Munich
- Armenian and Croatian FMs held a meeting during the Munich Security Conference
- Mnatsakanyan and Lavrov discuss Artsakh conflict settlement at Munich Security Conference
- RA President denies allegations on “cooperating with political party”