Recipe Corner: Cream of Cauliflower and Leek Soup
1 large head cauliflower, washed, cut into florets or roughly chopped
6 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
2 cups whole milk or half and half or heavy cream (to taste)
1 cup chopped leeks, white and light green parts only, washed well.
2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
2 medium stalks celery (and tops), diced
1 large baking potato, boiled and mashed (remove skin)
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder, tarragon, and paprika to taste
2-3 tablespoons flour
3-4 tablespoons butter
Dash of red pepper (to taste)
Dried or fresh parsley, minced
In a large pot, steam cauliflower until done. Drain well. Cut away excess stock. Coarsely mash or put in blender. Drain again and set aside.
In the same pot, sauté leeks, carrots, celery, and garlic in 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil for a few minutes until onions are translucent. Toss flour over this mixture and stir.
Add milk (or cream), broth and butter and cook over medium heat for 8-10 minutes, until bubbling, stirring. Add the mashed cauliflower and potato, stir, and bring to light boil.
Add seasonings (to taste), bouillon cube, and more milk (or cream), if desired. Cook on medium heat for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Watch not to over boil.
At this point, using a hand blender, blend soup until medium smooth and stir again.
Add more salt or pepper, if desired, and serve.
Garnish with parsley, pepper and sour cream, and drizzle with olive oil, if desired.
*Can be stored in refrigerator in glass for up to one week. Makes half gallon.
The Armenian Mirror-Spectator
- Family history researcher recovering stories of Armenians of Asia
- Assad tells Kurds Syrian army, not U.S. will protect them
- The air temperature will go up by 3-4 degrees
- Conference dedicated to Tumanyan's 150th anniversary to be held in Artsakh
- Putin and Erdogan to meet again: Ushakov
- Yerevan to host the first basketball tournament of EEU countries
- I am here to start a new partnership: Armen Sarkissian visits Munich Technical University
- World oil prices keep rising
- Europe biggest partner to Arab world: Sisi
- Russia delivered first Ka-32 multi-purpose helicopter to Turkey
- Marianne Auricoste: ‘I Grew Up with Armenia in My Heart’
- Egyptian President cites Armenian Genocide in Munich speech
- Iran's Zarif accuses Israel, U.S. of seeking war
- Consul General of Armenia in Los Angeles welcomed at the California Senate
- Iran says sending radio-medicines to 15 countries
- Tigran Avinyan to have new advisor
- Armenia intendsto buy 12 Su-30SM fighters from Russia
- Assad has declared inviolability of Syria constitution
- Armenian Guards of Honor perform jaw-dropping rifle maneuvers, drills at IDEX 2019 show
- Presentation of “Scientific Artsakh” journal took place in Stepanakert
- Armenian and Iranian FMs discuss regional, international issues at Munich Security Conference
- Armen Sarkissian and Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani held a meeting during Security Conference in Munich
- Armenian and Croatian FMs held a meeting during the Munich Security Conference
- Mnatsakanyan and Lavrov discuss Artsakh conflict settlement at Munich Security Conference
- RA President denies allegations on “cooperating with political party”