Tiflis-Armenian Intellectual Forge | Nersisyan School
"Nersisyan School is a great cultural center for the Armenian people and has its worthy place in the history of its spiritual culture"
The Armenian Catholicos Nerses Ashtaraketsi founded the Nersisian School in Tiflis in 1824, initially called the Armenian College of Tiflis.
Initially, the school was meant to provide spiritual education. In the first year of its operation, there were 3 classes, and then their number reached 5, with approximately 360 students. The first graduates of the Djemaran are Khachatur Abovyan, Stepanos Nazaryants, Perch Proshyan, Ghazaros Aghayan and others. The inspector of the seminary was Harutyun Alamdaryan, a well-known Armenian historian who is well-known in history as "Alamdaryan". Gabriel Patkanyan, Petros Shanshyan, Stepanos Nazaryan, Sedrak Mandinyan and others followed him.
The school enjoyed great honor and popularity not only among the Armenians of Tiflis, but also among Armenians all over the world. As Maghaqia Ormanian tells us, Bishop Hovhannes Karpetsi made a step towards even changing the name of the college, but he was afraid of the unexpected collision with Ashtaraketsi supporters and did not make a move.
However, the Order of Polozhenia in 1836 gave Karpetsi a good opportunity to turn the Nersisian School into an inglorious gymnesium. Which should have been followed by the closure, and in 1843, when Nerses Ashtarakeci was elected as Catholicos, Nersisyan College had completely lost its former level.
Thus, Ashtaraketsi reorganized the school founded by him. In 1846-1848 great work was done for the rebuilding of the seminary, Ashtarak personally appealed to wealthy nationals to help the reanimation of the college and their dedication and Nerses Ashtaraketsi's dedication to the September 17, 1848 Nersisian College's academic year.
The Nersisyan School experienced a new rise in the 1850s, becoming a flagman of the educational-enlightenment movement in the East-Armenian reality. Over time, new subjects were added to the school curriculum. In 1877, the school became fully secondary, after which the number of those who wanted to study grew, so there was a need to build a new building. The construction began in 1909, but not where the former building was, but on the Arsenal mountain. By the way, this building was never complete.
In 1857, the Catholicos died, but the seminary continued to live in its normal development. Later, the seminary continued to remain an indispensable blacksmith for Armenian inteligence. Among the pupils there were prominent Armenian writers, public figures, cultural figures such as Hovhannes Tumanyan, Derenik Demirchyan, Hovhannes Hovhannisyan, Komitas, Manuk Abeghyan, Stepan Zoryan and many other worthy figures who became pupils and teachers in Nersisyan College. In 1924, Nersisyan School had its last 25 graduates, and in 1925 Nersisyan School was transformed into a working school.
Renovation of Nersisyan Seminary is planned today.
The work has already started. $ 8 million has been allocated for the reconstruction of the building. After completing the program, the latter will be used by the Tbilisi Caucasian Lyceum.
- Statement of MFA of Armenia on the adoption of Resolution 296 affirming the US record on the Armenian Genocide by US House of Representatives
- Pushed by latest Turkey aggression, House passes resolution formally commemorating the Armenian Genocide. The Boston Globe
- Today is renowned Armenian actor Sos Sargsyan's birthday
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 2-3 degrees, in the daytime of 20 it will go down as much
- Armenian PM, President of Artsakh discuss mutual cooperation in Yerevan
- Recipe Corner: Stuffed Roma Tomatoes with Three Cheeses
- President of Armenia holds meeting with delegation of Confindustria Russia
- Coffee may be useful in the fight against diabetes, scientist say
- Armenia's Haypost wins first prize at Europa Stamps 2019
- 2,000 CSTO troops participating in Search 2019 exercise
- Nepal, China agree to remeasure height of Mt Everest: Times of India
- One of the rarest coins in the world dating back to 723AD goes on sale for £1.6MILLION
- Aronian and Hakobyan are half a point behind tournament leaders
- Armenian FM, OSCE MG Co-Chairs highlight formation of favorable environment for peace
- Japan Typhoon death toll rises: NHK
- Airbus delegation to visit Armenia at President’s invitation
- Armenian PM receives OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs
- Syrian army enters Manbij to block Turkey’s expansion
- Today is Global Handwashing Day
- Kim Kardashian “emotional” over visit to Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute
- US sanctions Turkish ministries over Syria offensive
- Remote working may increase stress, reduce well-being: study
- Lepsius House, Genocide Museum Signs Cooperation Agreement
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 3-4 degrees
- Holy Trinity Armenian Apostolic Church Bread Sticks (Simit)