Trump ousts Tillerson, will replace him as secretary of state with CIA chief Pompeo
President Trump has ousted Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and plans to nominate CIA Director Mike Pompeo to replace him as the nation’s top diplomat, orchestrating a major change to his national security team amid delicate negotiations with North Korea, White House officials said Tuesday.
Trump last Friday asked Tillerson to step aside, and the embattled diplomat cut short his trip to Africa on Monday to return to Washington.
Pompeo will replace him at the State Department, and Gina Haspel — the deputy director at the CIA — will succeed him at the CIA, becoming the first woman to run the spy agency, if confirmed.
In a statement issued to The Washington Post, Trump praised both Pompeo and Haspel.
“I am proud to nominate the Director of the Central Intelligence Agency, Mike Pompeo, to be our new Secretary of State,” Trump said. “Mike graduated first in his class at West Point, served with distinction in the U.S. Army, and graduated with Honors from Harvard Law School. He went on to serve in the U.S. House of Representatives with a proven record of working across the aisle.”
The president continued, “Gina Haspel, the Deputy Director of the CIA, will be nominated to replace Director Pompeo and she will be the CIA’s first-ever female director, a historic milestone. Mike and Gina have worked together for more than a year, and have developed a great mutual respect.”
- Is Kocharyan the Bellwether of Armenian-Russian Relations? NEW 42 MINUTES AGO
- Armenians of Australia presented khachkar to Catholic temple in Sydney NEW 43 MINUTES AGO
- "Virtuosos of Moscow" performed "Krunk" in Moscow House of Yerevan
- Washington Post named Armenia one of the three democracies of 2018
- The Economist’s country of the year 2018. Which country improved the most in the past year?
- Reporters Without Borders: we're still being harassed
- New Year's table: khrchit cake
- Turkey pursues Kurds in Syria
- Air temperature will not change essentially
- Iraqi air force says destroyed Islamic State meeting facility in Syria
- Celebration of the 90th Anniversary of the Establishment of the Holy Trintiy Armenian Apostolic Church Parish
- CYSCA Panelists from Armenia Discuss Activism and Revolution: Aram Arkun
- The Armenian Genocide survivor who photographed Franklin Roosevelt
- Unacceptable to politicize the incident in Gyumri: Ambassador of Russia to Armenia
- The US recognized inability to withstand hypersonic weapons of Russia
- Issue of new CSTO Secretary General is decided at the level of heads of state: Kopyrkin
- Recipe Corner: Garbanzo Bean and Vegetable Soup
- Levon Aronian ended fourth in the Grand Chess Tour series
- Armenia supported Russia in the UN in the vote on Crimea
- Turkish military concludes preparations for Syrian offensive, says Erdogan
- Moscow Culture Days in Yerevan started with concert by jazz band led by Vadim Eilenkrig
- Former PM Karen Karapetyan submits application for leaving Republican Party
- Today is International Migrant Day
- Turkish foreign minister denies reports of Ankara’s readiness to cooperate with Assad
- Bashar Assad received delegation of businessmen from Armenia