Recently, US Deputy Secretary of State for European and Eurasian Affairs George Kent visited Azerbaijan. He held closed negotiations with president of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev but what issues were discussed during this meeting, there is neither official information, nor expert opinion about it. We only know that the American diplomat held a press conference in Baku, during which he spoke about the transit of Caspian energy resources, the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, the importance of the US struggle against terrorism in the region, as well as the state of freedom of speech, human rights and freedoms in Azerbaijan and ways to improve them.
A few days have passed since the visit of the US Undersecretary of State for Europe and Eurasia, and finally, the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry issued a statement in which it distorted George Kent’s remarks regarding Nagorno-Karabakh. Earlier, on this occasion, the Azerbaijani media wrote that the US Assistant Secretary of State "reaffirmed the position of the United States on resolving the conflict and stated that in this context the United States supports the Madrid principles for resolving the Karabakh conflict, which implies non-use of force, ensuring territorial integrity and the right of peoples to self-determination.
In the statement by the Foreign Ministry of Azerbaijan, George Kent’s position is as follows: the United States “supports the settlement of the conflict on the basis of four well-known UNSC resolutions, which proves that the international community supports the settlement of the conflict in accordance with the norms and principles of international law and the territorial integrity and sovereignty of Azerbaijan, as announced by President Ilham Aliyev at the last meeting of the Azerbaijani government”.
Here we are already dealing with informational tricks. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Azerbaijan allowed itself to edit the statements of the American high-ranking diplomat, excluding from the statement what he said about the support of the US government for the resolution of the Karabakh issue based on the right of nations to self-determination. This is an inherent style of Azerbaijan - to distort the essence of the negotiations on the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, to pull out of context and to present the co-chairs’, international experts’ and individual politicians’ points of view with the desired position.
This informational trickiness has one addressee - Azerbaijani society, which the Aliyev regime feeds with the prospect that “the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan has never been and cannot be the subject of negotiations”. While the negotiation document states openly that the final status of Nagorno-Karabakh must be determined in accordance with the free and legally binding will of its people. And this means that the mediators do not condition the final settlement of the problem with the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan that official Baku dreams of, and which in the capital of Azerbaijan was again confirmed by the Deputy Assistant Secretary of State George Kent.
Translation: Lusine Melkonyan
- Statement of MFA of Armenia on the adoption of Resolution 296 affirming the US record on the Armenian Genocide by US House of Representatives
- Pushed by latest Turkey aggression, House passes resolution formally commemorating the Armenian Genocide. The Boston Globe
- Today is renowned Armenian actor Sos Sargsyan's birthday
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 2-3 degrees, in the daytime of 20 it will go down as much
- Recipe Corner: Stuffed Roma Tomatoes with Three Cheeses
- Armenian PM, President of Artsakh discuss mutual cooperation in Yerevan
- President of Armenia holds meeting with delegation of Confindustria Russia
- Coffee may be useful in the fight against diabetes, scientist say
- Armenia's Haypost wins first prize at Europa Stamps 2019
- 2,000 CSTO troops participating in Search 2019 exercise
- Nepal, China agree to remeasure height of Mt Everest: Times of India
- One of the rarest coins in the world dating back to 723AD goes on sale for £1.6MILLION
- Aronian and Hakobyan are half a point behind tournament leaders
- Armenian FM, OSCE MG Co-Chairs highlight formation of favorable environment for peace
- Japan Typhoon death toll rises: NHK
- Airbus delegation to visit Armenia at President’s invitation
- Armenian PM receives OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs
- Syrian army enters Manbij to block Turkey’s expansion
- Today is Global Handwashing Day
- Kim Kardashian “emotional” over visit to Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute
- US sanctions Turkish ministries over Syria offensive
- Remote working may increase stress, reduce well-being: study
- Lepsius House, Genocide Museum Signs Cooperation Agreement
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 3-4 degrees
- Holy Trinity Armenian Apostolic Church Bread Sticks (Simit)