Azerbaijan loses its oil attractiveness
As it is known, the two largest American oil companies ExxonMobil and Chevron are leaving Azerbaijan. This is reported by the Reuters agency.
They sell their shares to the largest Azerbaijani consortium of the Operating Company and finally leave the country after 25 years of work.
It should be noted that the Operating Company operates the most profitable mine in Azerbaijan - Azeri-Chirag-Guneshli, while ExxonMobil and Chevron own 6.8% and 9.7% of the consortium, respectively.
According to Reuters, ExxonMobil wants to sell its $ 2 billion stake. Chevron wants to withdraw from the Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan pipeline program by selling 8.9% of its shares.
Recall that the Azerbaijani company Operating Company was founded in 1994, after the signing of the so-called “Contract of the Century”, when a number of large transnational oil and gas companies led by British Petroleum began operating in this country. Later, many of them also joined the gas projects, creating the Shah-Deniz consortium.
However, the country's bright oil and gas future began to fade back in 2010, when oil production in 2017 plummeted from 50 to 38 million tons. The situation deteriorated sharply in 2014, when oil prices plummeted from $ 124 to $ 26.
It was during this period that two of the largest European oil companies left Azerbaijan - the Norwegian StatOil and the French TOTAL. Many explain the departure of these transnational giants by the loss of the attractiveness of the oil and gas sector in Azerbaijan.
Taking advantage of the difficult financial and economic situation in Azerbaijan, British Petroleum forced to confirm the so-called agreement of the century, strengthening their position in the oil and gas system of this country. In this agreement, however, it was noted that the price of Azerbaijani oil is about $ 55 per barrel, and the British can revise the contract in the event of a fall in oil prices.
Currently, when oil prices began to decline again, and the cost of Brent crude oil for one month decreased from $ 86 to $ 60, US companies began to leave Azerbaijan.
This is symptomatic and shows that the Azerbaijani oil sunset is not so far away, and that this country is losing its main regional trump card - power industry.
- Armenian cuisine: "Armavir" roast
- Iran confirms ‘important test’ of ballistic missile
- Precipitation and fog expected in the Republic
- Aznavour's son spoke about pain experienced during the days of the earthquake in Armenia
- Turkey began to establish a naval base on the Black Sea
- Arpie Otyag Celebrates Anniversary with Lecturer Dr. Lilit Garibyan and Ghapama: Armenian Mirror-Spectator
- Hrant Melkumyan won second victory in the London chess classic FIDE open tournament
- Congratulation to all Armenians on the occasion of holding democratic elections in the country: ADL Statement
- Direct flight from Omsk to Yerevan to be operated
- Elections in Armenia were democratic, and an we have much to learn from Armenians in this issue: Alexander Gusev
- "Bohemian Rhapsody" most streamed song of the XX century
- 78 reports on election violations received in the IC of Armenia
- RA CEC presented scanned voter lists
- I am concerned: Gagik Surenyan
- Sarkissian congratulated Nazarbayev on the occasion of the 27th anniversary of the Republic Independence Day
- Today is International Tango Day
- US State Department congratulates Armenian People
- Putin and Merkel discussed Ukraine provocation in the Black Sea and Syria
- Today is International Mountain Day
- Angela Merkel congratulated Pashinyan on his election victory
- Artsakh, Dadivank
- Azerbaijan joins anti-Iran sanctions
- US and Arab countries might create a Middle East analogue of NATO
- In most regions precipitation is predicted
- Artsakh president congratulates Pashinyan