Libraries full of hate: from Azerbaijan to Georgia
Azerbaijan has been supplying Georgian libraries with books containing hate speech against Armenians. While the libraries don’t see them as a problem, some Azerbaijani Georgians fear they might help plant the seeds of ethnic tension.
When Imran Gafarov, an Azerbaijani Georgian, came across a book full of territorial claims and hate speech against Armenians at the public library in Marneuli, an Azerbaijani-majority city in southern Georgia’s Kvemo Kartli region, he was in a state of disbelief.
‘When I visited the Marneuli library, I saw a book called Western Azerbaijan’s Monuments, written by Aziz Alakbarli. I thought the book would be about the historical monuments located in the west of Azerbaijan. However, as I read the book, it became clear that the book was about monuments situated in the territory of Armenia. The book contained an element of hostility towards Armenians’, Gafarov told OC Media.
There are two copies of the book in the library. On the 13th page of the 2006 edition, there are territorial claims made against Armenia. On the 21st page, the writer claims that Armenians committed genocide against Azerbaijanis on four occasions. The 2007 edition contains a map of ‘Western Azerbaijan’ in which locations situated in Armenia are written in their Azerbaijani variants.
The library contains other propagandistic material, which can be divided into three types: hate speech directed at Armenia and Armenians, support for separatist and territorial claims against Iran, and propaganda on behalf of the ruling Aliyev family.
For more details see here.
- Kremlin: US yet to present proposals on Putin-Trump meeting at G20 summit NEW 56 MINUTES AGO
- EU may suspend non-visa for some countries
- Sudan says military council suspends decree on UN sites
- Large-scale military exercises were held in Artsakh
- Putin to meet with the leaders of Azerbaijan and Iran
- Artur Aleksanyan launched the Pan-Armenian Games
- European Games to be broadcast on IOC Channel for free
- G20 environment ministers agree to tackle marine plastic waste
- German lawmaker says Armenia is on right path to judicial reforms
- Pompeo considers military influence on Iran
- Bako Sahakyan dismisses Vardan Balayan as Defense Army deputy commander
- Today is World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought
- Catholicos of All Armenians received pilgrims of the Diocese of the Armenian Church of America
- Armen Sarkissian congratulated Iceland on National Day
- Today is Armenian chess player Tigran Petrosyan's birthday
- Komitas’ letters to Hovhannes Toumanian
- June trouble in Moldova
- Syrian Restaurants in Armenia: A Pinch of Home, A Taste of Exile
- First-ever Armenian-language TV station launches in Turkey
- Аwards ceremony for the winners of 2018/2019 season was held
- Exiled Turkish journalist reunited with family in Germany after 3 years
- Karabakh President visits Askeran, Martakert Regions
- Apple registers 7 Mac notebooks in Eurasian database
- Recipe Corner: Guest Recipe: Baked Spinach and Eggs (Havgitov Spanach)
- Everything you should know about proper nutrition and healthy lifestyle: Lidia Ayvazyan is the guest of Hay Dzayn Today