US suspends financial aid to Artsakh and reduces aid to Armenia
It became known yesterday that the United States intends to reduce the amount of assistance provided to Armenia. According to the spread information, the budget of the upcoming 2020 is supposed to provide our country with financial assistance in the amount of 6.75 million USD.
It is worth recalling the assistance provided to Armenia through “Foreign Assistance” began to decline periodically from 2017, and over the past two years it was a little over 6 million. There have been years when the aid amounted to $ 80 million or more.
The US has provided financial assistance to Armenia immediately after independence since 1992. In recent years it has made nearly $ 2 billion. After the cease-fire of the Artsakh war, the US began to provide assistance to Artsakh as well.
Its assistance was mainly provided through USAID and was used for demining landmines after the war. These works were mainly carried out by the Halo Trust organization, carrying out such activities in a number of conflict zones.
The United States is the only state in the world, after Armenia, to provide assistance to Artsakh. Azerbaijani diplomacy and the lobbying agencies hired by it have struggled for many years to prevent this aid.
It is a pity we can say that for the first time this year no assistance will be provided to Artsakh by the USA, which means the demining activities will be substantially reduced.
However, it would be wrong to attribute this situation to Azerbaijani activity alone. We believe that our diplomacy and lobbying structures have been too passive.
It is also possible that this is a consequence of a number of steps in the so-called post-revolutionary Armenian foreign policy, in particular the provision of military-demining personnel and medical assistance to the Syrian city of Aleppo. The White House may also be expressing its dissatisfaction with Armenia's policy on Iran, which is not in the interests of the United States.
Official Yerevan should intensify its diplomatic efforts in Washington. With the support of lobbying organizations and the Armenian community, it is necessary not only to increase the amount of aid to be provided to Armenia, but also to restore demining activities in Artsakh.
Armenia should intensify diplomatic contacts with the US State Department, explaining that for Armenia, being in a blockade for decades, relations with Iran are of strategic and security importance, and with the US assistance to Artsakh, the US is strengthening its position in the South Caucasus region.
- Bulgur, Mint and Peach Salad Recipe
- George R.R. Martin: "Game Of Thrones" being over is "freeing"
- The air temperature will not essentially change
- International Photo Festival to be held in Yerevan
- Turkey Fires Kurdish Mayors Ahead of Military Push Into Syria - Bloomberg
- Iran warns U.S. against seizing Grace 1 oil tanker
- Study reveals over third of children and adolescents are passive smokers
- Danish PM hopes Trump ‘isn’t serious’ about buying Greenland: NYP
- Scientists on possible consequences of large-scale nuclear war
- Improvement of military positions is constant process: Armenia MOD
- Best food to lower high blood pressure
- Chinari village can no longer be fired at from Azerbaijan: Ararat Mirzoyan
- Messi completely recovered from calf injury
- Hidden Painting Under da Vinci Masterpiece Revealed with New Imaging
- Armenian president congratulates Afghan counterpart, people on Independence Day
- April four-day war hero Adam Sahakyan would turn 23 today
- Today is World Humanitarian Day
- Vahagn Davtyan won gold at Open Israeli Championship
- Over 1.7 Mln People Joined Sunday’s Demonstration in Hong Kong
- Levon Aronian played draw at Sinkfield Cup
- Armenia government to allocate additional 2.1bn drams for army
- Today is World Photography Day
- Armenia most popular foreign destination among Russians
- SOAD bassist still hopes the band will make new records
- Catholicos of All Armenians Vazgen and Yerevan Radio