Plank of September 2
On August 19, 1991 in Moscow, an attempt was made to coup. It was announced that President Mikhail Gorbachev was not able to exercise his powers “because of illness,” and that a new government body was being created - the State Committee for Emergency Situations or, as it is usually called, the State Emergency Committee, headed by Vice President Yanaev.
Armenian statesman and diplomat Oleg Yesayan recalls that after receiving this information in Stepanakert, the Artsakh authorities decided not to express any official position on this issue for three days.
Three days later, the Emergency Committee was outlawed. Its leadership was arrested because Moscow did not recognize military power. A huge role in this was played by Russian President Boris Yeltsin. He went out into the street and led a nationwide protest. 28 years after these events, the Azerbaijani media wrote that Yeltsin was supported by a senior KGB officer, Valery Badamyants, as well as Parat Grachev, commander of the landing forces.
Read more here.
- Statement of MFA of Armenia on the adoption of Resolution 296 affirming the US record on the Armenian Genocide by US House of Representatives
- Pushed by latest Turkey aggression, House passes resolution formally commemorating the Armenian Genocide. The Boston Globe
- Today is renowned Armenian actor Sos Sargsyan's birthday
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 2-3 degrees, in the daytime of 20 it will go down as much
- Recipe Corner: Stuffed Roma Tomatoes with Three Cheeses
- Armenian PM, President of Artsakh discuss mutual cooperation in Yerevan
- President of Armenia holds meeting with delegation of Confindustria Russia
- Coffee may be useful in the fight against diabetes, scientist say
- Armenia's Haypost wins first prize at Europa Stamps 2019
- 2,000 CSTO troops participating in Search 2019 exercise
- Nepal, China agree to remeasure height of Mt Everest: Times of India
- One of the rarest coins in the world dating back to 723AD goes on sale for £1.6MILLION
- Aronian and Hakobyan are half a point behind tournament leaders
- Armenian FM, OSCE MG Co-Chairs highlight formation of favorable environment for peace
- Japan Typhoon death toll rises: NHK
- Airbus delegation to visit Armenia at President’s invitation
- Armenian PM receives OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs
- Syrian army enters Manbij to block Turkey’s expansion
- Today is Global Handwashing Day
- Kim Kardashian “emotional” over visit to Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute
- US sanctions Turkish ministries over Syria offensive
- Remote working may increase stress, reduce well-being: study
- Lepsius House, Genocide Museum Signs Cooperation Agreement
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 3-4 degrees
- Holy Trinity Armenian Apostolic Church Bread Sticks (Simit)