Today is World Day For International Justice
Governments, civil society organizations, legal associations, students and activists around the globe will celebrate World Day for International Justice on July 17th
Governments, civil society organizations, legal associations, students and activists around the globe will celebrate World Day for International Justice on July 17th.
World Day for International Justice recognizes the nascent and strengthening system of international justice that has emerged since the Nuremburg and Tokyo Trials after World War II. Numerous efforts to provide justice and redress for the most unspeakable acts of inhumanity have brought forth increasingly powerful international justice mechanisms from the International Court of Justice, to the ad hoc tribunals of Rwanda and the former Yugoslavia and, as of July 1st of this year, the historic International Criminal Court (ICC).
The last century has been the bloodiest in human history with hundreds of millions of casualties of mass rape, forced expulsion, disappearances, torture, slavery and other assaults on human dignity.
A permanent deterrent to the architects of such horrific crimes was created on July 1st, 2002, when the jurisdiction of the ICC began. July 17th was chosen as the day to mark this occasion because it is the anniversary of the adoption of the Rome Statute, the treaty that created the ICC. Since that day in 1998, one hundred thirty-nine countries have signed the Courts treaty and nearly eighty States, representative of every region of the world, have ratified it.
The ICC is the first permanent and independent international judicial institution capable of trying individuals accused of the most serious violations of international humanitarian and human rights law, including the crimes of genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity.
- Russian specialist conducted unique free vascular operations at Armavir MC NEW 32 MINUTES AGO
- UN Security Council to hold emergency session on US missile projects on August 22
- Neymar is close to returning to Barcelona
- Armenian Meat Ball Soup recipe
- U.S. warns Greece against helping Iranian tanker
- Yerevan Mayor sues municipal council ex-member
- Today is International Day of Remembrance and Tribute to the Victims of Terrorism
- Today is Catholicos of All Armenians Karekin II's birthday
- Alexis Ohanian welcomes Dwayne Johnson to Armenian "clan"
- 5 Day Weather Forecast
- Armenia to take part in World Championship with 9 weightlifters
- Liu Yifei: Mulan boycott urged after star backs HK police
- Siberian ulcer case recorded in Armenia
- “Forget-me-not” tower set to be built in Yerevan
- DOD Conducts Ground Launch Cruise Missile Test
- President Sarkissian, Khaldoon Al Mubarak meet in Manchester
- OSCE to conduct monitoring at Artsakh-Azerbaijan Line of Contact
- From Belgrade to Buenos Aires, these are the world's best party cities
- Oscars 2020 odds: Joaquin Phoenix and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood early favourites
- How social media affects girls' mental health: study
- Bulgur, Mint and Peach Salad Recipe
- George R.R. Martin: "Game Of Thrones" being over is "freeing"
- The air temperature will not essentially change
- International Photo Festival to be held in Yerevan
- Turkey Fires Kurdish Mayors Ahead of Military Push Into Syria - Bloomberg