Today is Artsakh Hero Arkady Ter-Tadevosyan's birthday
Arkady Ter-Tadevosyan, also known by the troops under his command as Komandos is a Soviet and Armenian Major General, a military leader of the Armenian forces during the Nagorno-Karabakh War and Armenia's former Deputy Minister of Defense. Ter-Tadevosyan is best known as being the commander of the operation to capture the town of Shushi in May 1992.
Ter-Tadevosyan was born on May 22, 1939 in Tbilisi, Georgian SSR. After graduating from a high school in Tbilisi, he decided to become an officer. He attended the Baku Combined Arms Command School and later Leningrad Military Academy of Rear Services and Transportation. He served in Afghanistanwhere he earned the nickname, Mountain Fox. He continued his military service in East Germany, Czechoslovakia and Belarus, and also served as a lecturer at the Armenian State Agrarian University. With the breakup of the Soviet Union and the brewing conflict in Nagorno-Karabakh, Ter-Tadevosyan took part in organizing in 1990 the defense of Armenian villages straddling the borders of Soviet Azerbaijan. He joined the Sasuntsi Davit Detachment to defend villages from constant attacks launched by Azerbaijani militants.
Thereafter, he went to Nagorno-Karabakh to train soldiers. Ter-Tadevosyan was appointed Head of Training Corps Defense Committee in 1991. In 1992 he was named commander of the operation (dubbed Wedding in Mountains) to seize the strategic town of Shushi, the capture of which in May 1992 marked the first significant military victory by Armenian forces during the Nagorno-Karabakh War. Ter-Tadevosyan is known in Armenia as the "mastermind of Shushi liberation". He participated in the formation of the Armenian armed forces and assisted it to overcome significant challenges before it could emerge as a well-developed institution. On 25 May 1992, Ter-Tadevosyan was awarded the rank of Major General for his accomplishments during the Nagorno-Karabakh War. He also received the Order of the Combat Cross (1st class).
In May 2000, Ter-Tadevosyan left the Yerkrapah veterans union and founded the Veterans of the War of Liberation organization, although he left it in July of that year, expressing personal grievances about those who had joined it.
The President of Nagorno-Karabakh Republic, Bako Sahakyan, awarded him with the Order of the Golden Eagle and the title of Hero of Artsakh on the 17th anniversary of the Capture of Shushi in 2009. The region continues to hold much meaning to Ter-Tadevosyan, who spends at least one week each month there.
Ter-Tadevosyan is currently supervising the training of specialists in the Armenian armed forces.
- Statement of MFA of Armenia on the adoption of Resolution 296 affirming the US record on the Armenian Genocide by US House of Representatives
- Pushed by latest Turkey aggression, House passes resolution formally commemorating the Armenian Genocide. The Boston Globe
- Today is renowned Armenian actor Sos Sargsyan's birthday
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 2-3 degrees, in the daytime of 20 it will go down as much
- Armenian PM, President of Artsakh discuss mutual cooperation in Yerevan
- Recipe Corner: Stuffed Roma Tomatoes with Three Cheeses
- President of Armenia holds meeting with delegation of Confindustria Russia
- Coffee may be useful in the fight against diabetes, scientist say
- Armenia's Haypost wins first prize at Europa Stamps 2019
- 2,000 CSTO troops participating in Search 2019 exercise
- Nepal, China agree to remeasure height of Mt Everest: Times of India
- One of the rarest coins in the world dating back to 723AD goes on sale for £1.6MILLION
- Aronian and Hakobyan are half a point behind tournament leaders
- Armenian FM, OSCE MG Co-Chairs highlight formation of favorable environment for peace
- Japan Typhoon death toll rises: NHK
- Airbus delegation to visit Armenia at President’s invitation
- Armenian PM receives OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs
- Syrian army enters Manbij to block Turkey’s expansion
- Today is Global Handwashing Day
- Kim Kardashian “emotional” over visit to Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute
- US sanctions Turkish ministries over Syria offensive
- Remote working may increase stress, reduce well-being: study
- Lepsius House, Genocide Museum Signs Cooperation Agreement
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 3-4 degrees
- Holy Trinity Armenian Apostolic Church Bread Sticks (Simit)