Today is Armenian outstanding playwright Gabriel Sundukyan’s birthday
Today is Armenian outstanding writer and playwright Gabriel Sundukyan’s birthday, who is considered one of the founders of critical realism in Armenian literature.
Gabriel Sundukyan was born on July 11, 1825 in Tiflis. In 1846-1850, he studied at the oriental branch of the History and Philology Faculty of St. Petersburg University. He graduated with a degree of candidate of Oriental languages and in 1850, was appointed to the post of translator to the office of the Tsar’s governor in the Caucasus.
For his progressive views, he was soon dismissed from service and exiled to the city of Derbent.
In 1858, Sundukyan returned to Tiflis and devoted himself to dramaturgy, the development of the national Armenian theater. In 1863 he wrote the first play, the merry vaudeville "Sneezing at Night's Good Luck".
He was followed by a number of witty, vividly written plays, to this day enjoying great success.
In 1870, Gabriel Sundukyan published a comedy (as the author called it) - in fact a social drama "Pepo". This work put Sundukyan in the ranks of the greatest masters of drama.
The author himself translated the play into Georgian, it was first put in Kutaisi, and then in Tiflis.
Sundukyan often acted as the producer of his plays. He was one of the active builders of the new Armenian theater in the 1860s. In 1879-82, he was a member of the leaders of the Armenian Theater in Tiflis.
Gabriel Sundukyan died on March 29, 1912 in Tiflis.
- Statement of MFA of Armenia on the adoption of Resolution 296 affirming the US record on the Armenian Genocide by US House of Representatives
- Pushed by latest Turkey aggression, House passes resolution formally commemorating the Armenian Genocide. The Boston Globe
- Today is renowned Armenian actor Sos Sargsyan's birthday
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 2-3 degrees, in the daytime of 20 it will go down as much
- Armenian PM, President of Artsakh discuss mutual cooperation in Yerevan
- Recipe Corner: Stuffed Roma Tomatoes with Three Cheeses
- President of Armenia holds meeting with delegation of Confindustria Russia
- Coffee may be useful in the fight against diabetes, scientist say
- Armenia's Haypost wins first prize at Europa Stamps 2019
- 2,000 CSTO troops participating in Search 2019 exercise
- Nepal, China agree to remeasure height of Mt Everest: Times of India
- One of the rarest coins in the world dating back to 723AD goes on sale for £1.6MILLION
- Aronian and Hakobyan are half a point behind tournament leaders
- Armenian FM, OSCE MG Co-Chairs highlight formation of favorable environment for peace
- Japan Typhoon death toll rises: NHK
- Airbus delegation to visit Armenia at President’s invitation
- Armenian PM receives OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs
- Syrian army enters Manbij to block Turkey’s expansion
- Today is Global Handwashing Day
- Kim Kardashian “emotional” over visit to Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute
- US sanctions Turkish ministries over Syria offensive
- Remote working may increase stress, reduce well-being: study
- Lepsius House, Genocide Museum Signs Cooperation Agreement
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 3-4 degrees
- Holy Trinity Armenian Apostolic Church Bread Sticks (Simit)