Chaarat Gold in talks to buy Armenian mine from Russia’s Polymetal
Chaarat Gold, the Aim-listed gold explorer, is in talks to buy the Kapan gold mine in Armenia from Russia’s Polymetal, in its latest effort to expand through acquisitions.
The mine, which Polymetal acquired in 2016, produced 50,000 ounces of gold last year, making a profit of $20m before taxes.
Chaarat, which is based in Kyrgyzstan, has said it wants to build a “leading Central Asia” gold company through acquisitions, targeting 1m ounces of annual production. In May it made an $800m bid for the Kumtor gold mine in Kyrgyzstan from Centerra Gold, which was rejected by the company.
Chaarat is led by Artem Volynet, a former chief executive of Russia’s EN+ and who was appointed deputy chief executive of aluminium producer Rusal in June.
Polymetal said “there is no certainty that a transaction will be agreed.”
Chaarat said in a statement that “should agreement be reached, the company plans to sign the sale and purchase agreement as soon as practicable.”
Shares in Chaarat have risen by 6 per cent this year to 24.15p. The company is looking to raise $50m from a convertible bond sale.
- Syrian Restaurants in Armenia: A Pinch of Home, A Taste of Exile
- First-ever Armenian-language TV station launches in Turkey
- Аwards ceremony for the winners of 2018/2019 season was held
- Exiled Turkish journalist reunited with family in Germany after 3 years
- Karabakh President visits Askeran, Martakert Regions
- Apple registers 7 Mac notebooks in Eurasian database
- Recipe Corner: Guest Recipe: Baked Spinach and Eggs (Havgitov Spanach)
- Everything you should know about proper nutrition and healthy lifestyle: Lidia Ayvazyan is the guest of Hay Dzayn Today
- Minsk 2019: Lineup of the Armenia Greco-Roman wrestling team
- Pashinyan Faces Traps in and out of Armenia: Armenian Mirror-Spectator
- Yerevan-Tehran roundtrip regular flights launched on June 15
- Yervand Kochar's most famous sculptures
- President Sarkissian congratulated China’s Xi Jinping on birthday
- Armenia's Levon Aronian shares 2nd-3rd spots at Norway Chess
- Today is Republic of Armenia National Flag Day
- 7th Pan-Armenian Summer Games’ torch heads from Turkey’s Van to Karabakh’s Stepanakert
- Today is Armenian prominent sculptor Ervand Kochar’s birthday
- Journalist Deniz Yücel Speaks Out on Arrest in Turkey
- Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon Panossian Gives Kids Smiles in Armenia
- Interview with President Armen Sarkissian: Financial Times of London
- The air temperature will not essentially change
- BMW 8 Series Gran Coupe Leaks То Preview Stunning 6 Series GC Successor
- Vardenis “Andranik” FC won in Armenian youth championship (photos)
- Armenia improves standing in Global Peace Index
- EU will extend Russia sanctions for another year