Kazakhstan holding snap presidential election on June 9
Kazakhstan's interim President Qasym-Zhomart Toqaev has announced a snap presidential election on June 9, RFE/RL reports.
In a televised address on April 9, Toqaev said he would "guarantee free and fair elections," although he did not say if he would contest the vote.
Toqaev became interim president on March 20, a day after President Nursultan Nazarbaev announced he was stepping down after ruling the energy-rich country for nearly 30 years.
The 78-year-old Nazarbaev, however, remains chairman for life of the Kazakh Security Council and chairman of the ruling Nur-Otan party.
On April 9, Toqaev met with the leaders of political parties represented in the parliament.
The presidential website said Toqaev met on April 8 with cabinet ministers and Darigha Nazarbaeva, the chairwoman of the Senate and Nazarbaev’s daughter.
The 55-year-old Nazarbaeva, the eldest daughter of Nazarbaev, was elected to the post by the Senate after Toqaev became interim leader.
She succeeded Toqaev as Senate speaker.
- Statement of MFA of Armenia on the adoption of Resolution 296 affirming the US record on the Armenian Genocide by US House of Representatives
- Pushed by latest Turkey aggression, House passes resolution formally commemorating the Armenian Genocide. The Boston Globe
- Today is renowned Armenian actor Sos Sargsyan's birthday
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 2-3 degrees, in the daytime of 20 it will go down as much
- Recipe Corner: Stuffed Roma Tomatoes with Three Cheeses
- Armenian PM, President of Artsakh discuss mutual cooperation in Yerevan
- President of Armenia holds meeting with delegation of Confindustria Russia
- Coffee may be useful in the fight against diabetes, scientist say
- Armenia's Haypost wins first prize at Europa Stamps 2019
- 2,000 CSTO troops participating in Search 2019 exercise
- Nepal, China agree to remeasure height of Mt Everest: Times of India
- One of the rarest coins in the world dating back to 723AD goes on sale for £1.6MILLION
- Aronian and Hakobyan are half a point behind tournament leaders
- Armenian FM, OSCE MG Co-Chairs highlight formation of favorable environment for peace
- Japan Typhoon death toll rises: NHK
- Airbus delegation to visit Armenia at President’s invitation
- Armenian PM receives OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs
- Syrian army enters Manbij to block Turkey’s expansion
- Today is Global Handwashing Day
- Kim Kardashian “emotional” over visit to Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute
- US sanctions Turkish ministries over Syria offensive
- Remote working may increase stress, reduce well-being: study
- Lepsius House, Genocide Museum Signs Cooperation Agreement
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 3-4 degrees
- Holy Trinity Armenian Apostolic Church Bread Sticks (Simit)