Today is Lusine Zakaryan's birthday
Today is Lusine Zakaryan's birthday.
Lusine Zakaryan (Arm: Լուսինե Զաքարյան, born Svetlana Apetovna Zakaryan; June 1, 1937, Akhaltsikhe, Georgian SSR – December 30, 1992, Yerevan, Armenia), was an Armenian operatic soprano. From 1970 to 1983 Zakaryan was a soloist with the symphony orchestra of Armenian TV and Radio. She also sang in the choir of the Armenian Apostolic Church's Holy See at the Echmiadzin Cathedral, and it is for her magnificent renditions of centuries-old Armenian spiritual hymns that she is now most remembered for.
Zakaryan grew up in the Samtskhe-Javakheti region of southern Georgia. In 1952 she moved with her family to Yerevan, where she attended a secondary music school. She entered the Yerevan State Musical Conservatory in 1957 and her singing talent soon became clear.
She began her professional career in 1962, and in a very short time her fame spread and extended outside of Armenia. Soon after she embarked upon international tours that took her to Europe, Canada, the United States, Argentina, Uruguay and the Middle East. Lusine's repertoire was extensive; she sang in 15 languages, with a varied and rich selection of works by Bach, Handel, Mozart, Verdi, Schubert and many other Western composers. Zakaryan was awarded the title of People's Artist of the USSR in 1972, and her recordings have been included in various music libraries worldwide. Lusine Zakaryan died of severe illness on December 30, 1992 in Yerevan, Armenia. Since the government did not permit her funeral to be performed in Komitas' Park Pantheon, by Catholicos Vazgen I's consent her body was buried in Etchmiadzin's St. Gayane church yard cemetery on January 2, 1993, where the tomb of the magnificent singer is located now.
- Statement of MFA of Armenia on the adoption of Resolution 296 affirming the US record on the Armenian Genocide by US House of Representatives
- Pushed by latest Turkey aggression, House passes resolution formally commemorating the Armenian Genocide. The Boston Globe
- Today is renowned Armenian actor Sos Sargsyan's birthday
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 2-3 degrees, in the daytime of 20 it will go down as much
- Recipe Corner: Stuffed Roma Tomatoes with Three Cheeses
- Armenian PM, President of Artsakh discuss mutual cooperation in Yerevan
- President of Armenia holds meeting with delegation of Confindustria Russia
- Coffee may be useful in the fight against diabetes, scientist say
- Armenia's Haypost wins first prize at Europa Stamps 2019
- 2,000 CSTO troops participating in Search 2019 exercise
- Nepal, China agree to remeasure height of Mt Everest: Times of India
- One of the rarest coins in the world dating back to 723AD goes on sale for £1.6MILLION
- Aronian and Hakobyan are half a point behind tournament leaders
- Armenian FM, OSCE MG Co-Chairs highlight formation of favorable environment for peace
- Japan Typhoon death toll rises: NHK
- Airbus delegation to visit Armenia at President’s invitation
- Armenian PM receives OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs
- Syrian army enters Manbij to block Turkey’s expansion
- Today is Global Handwashing Day
- Kim Kardashian “emotional” over visit to Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute
- US sanctions Turkish ministries over Syria offensive
- Remote working may increase stress, reduce well-being: study
- Lepsius House, Genocide Museum Signs Cooperation Agreement
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 3-4 degrees
- Holy Trinity Armenian Apostolic Church Bread Sticks (Simit)