EU may suspend non-visa for some countries
In connection with the increasing number of asylum seekers from countries for which a visa-free regime with the EU operates, the European Commission has threatened to introduce countermeasures. If the process continues, the EU may suspend visa-free travel for individual countries, EU Commissioner for Migration and Home Affairs Dimitris Avramopoulos said in an interview with the newspapers of the Funke group, released on Monday.
According to Avramopoulos, countermeasures can affect the countries of the Western Balkans and Latin America, DW reported.
Meanwhile, the number of illegal asylum seekers in the EU as a whole dropped to the level of 2014 before the onset of the migration crisis. In the first months of 2019, it continued to fall and reached 32,400 people, a decrease of 31 percent compared with the same period of the previous year.
According to the European Migration Support Bureau (EASO), in the first four months of this year, almost every fourth application for asylum in the EU was submitted by a citizen of one of the countries that entered into a visa-free regime agreement with the EU.
For example, the number of asylum seekers from Venezuela compared to the same period of 2018 increased by 121% and reached 14,257 people, from Colombia - by 156% (8097 people), from Albania - by 30% (7138 people). Only a minority of such applicants receive a positive response.
The total number of asylum seekers in the EU has increased significantly. From January to the end of April, about 206,000 500 people first applied for asylum in the EU, which is 15% more than in the same period last year.
- Statement of MFA of Armenia on the adoption of Resolution 296 affirming the US record on the Armenian Genocide by US House of Representatives
- Pushed by latest Turkey aggression, House passes resolution formally commemorating the Armenian Genocide. The Boston Globe
- Today is renowned Armenian actor Sos Sargsyan's birthday
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 2-3 degrees, in the daytime of 20 it will go down as much
- Recipe Corner: Stuffed Roma Tomatoes with Three Cheeses
- Armenian PM, President of Artsakh discuss mutual cooperation in Yerevan
- President of Armenia holds meeting with delegation of Confindustria Russia
- Coffee may be useful in the fight against diabetes, scientist say
- Armenia's Haypost wins first prize at Europa Stamps 2019
- 2,000 CSTO troops participating in Search 2019 exercise
- Nepal, China agree to remeasure height of Mt Everest: Times of India
- One of the rarest coins in the world dating back to 723AD goes on sale for £1.6MILLION
- Aronian and Hakobyan are half a point behind tournament leaders
- Armenian FM, OSCE MG Co-Chairs highlight formation of favorable environment for peace
- Japan Typhoon death toll rises: NHK
- Airbus delegation to visit Armenia at President’s invitation
- Armenian PM receives OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs
- Syrian army enters Manbij to block Turkey’s expansion
- Today is Global Handwashing Day
- Kim Kardashian “emotional” over visit to Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute
- US sanctions Turkish ministries over Syria offensive
- Remote working may increase stress, reduce well-being: study
- Lepsius House, Genocide Museum Signs Cooperation Agreement
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 3-4 degrees
- Holy Trinity Armenian Apostolic Church Bread Sticks (Simit)