Turkey's Armenian Christians mourn Patriarch Mesrob
Mourners gathered at the Armenian Patriarchate in Istanbul on Sunday for the funeral of their spiritual leader, Mesrob Mutafyan.
Patriarch Mesrob, who was 62, had been incapacitated with early onset demenita since 2008. Archbishop Aram Artesyan took over as acting patriarch for Turkey's Armenian community, which numbers some 70,000 people.
Preparations for the election of a new patriarch will begin after a 40-day period of mourning. Turkish authorities last year blocked attempts to elect a new patriarch, on the grounds that Mesrob was still alive.
As a senior figure in the Armenian community, Mesrob had long been the target of death threats and lived under police protection for years.
- Recipe Corner: Auntie Zee’s World-Famous Apricot Jam from Fresno
- Technovation Armenia 2019 Program Concludes with Awards
- Armenian Artists in Research and Dialogue
- Katherine Hodgson: Researching the Beautiful and Fascinating Armenian Language
- Trump orders companies to seek "alternative markets" to China
- North Korea launches two more ballistic missiles into sea: Seoul
- Pashinyan Backs Major Mining Project In Armenia
- How to increase life expectancy?
- ‘Abandoned’ Armenian Properties around the World: Part III
- Serena Williams paired with Maria Sharapova in U.S. Open first round
- Armenian PM congratulates Ukraine on Independence Day
- Trump talks about serving '14 more years' as president: Independent
- UNESCO delegation visits Armenia Ministry of Education, Science, Culture and Sport
- Drinking coffee first thing in the morning can be bad
- Viennese Apple Strudel recipe
- Yerevan among cities Russian tourists keep returning to: study
- Over the next 5 days a high risk of fire is predicted in the valleys and foothills of the Republic
- U.S. offer to sell Patriot system to Turkey has expired: Reuters
- 71-story skyscraper to be erected in Yerevan
- Armenian army delegation attends CIS armed forces general staffs' chiefs session
- What’s The Right Amount of Sleep?: WebMD
- Armenian President repeals decree depriving Vagharshak Harutyunyan of military rank
- Armenian national team U19 defeats Lebanese national team
- Assad forces threaten Turkish observation posts in Idlib
- Japan's tallest skyscraper to be built in Tokyo: NHK