Turkey's Armenian Christians mourn Patriarch Mesrob
Mourners gathered at the Armenian Patriarchate in Istanbul on Sunday for the funeral of their spiritual leader, Mesrob Mutafyan.
Patriarch Mesrob, who was 62, had been incapacitated with early onset demenita since 2008. Archbishop Aram Artesyan took over as acting patriarch for Turkey's Armenian community, which numbers some 70,000 people.
Preparations for the election of a new patriarch will begin after a 40-day period of mourning. Turkish authorities last year blocked attempts to elect a new patriarch, on the grounds that Mesrob was still alive.
As a senior figure in the Armenian community, Mesrob had long been the target of death threats and lived under police protection for years.
- Life as it is... Today is Grigor Zohrap's birthday NEW 10 MINUTES AGO
- We and the portrait of Dorian Gray
- Syrian-Armenian artist Kevork Mourad to create six-meter hanging sculpture of Babel
- Prevention of genocide remains challenged, Armenia tells UN
- Real offer 130 million euros for Neymar ... plus Rodriguez or Bale
- Study shows vacation is good for the heart
- An Armenian's feat in Brest Fortress defense: Russian Defense Ministry's archive materials
- Armenia announces call for applications for Junior Eurovision 2019
- Armenia to hold international festival on Tigran Mansuryan's 80th birthday
- Armenian President meets famous American theoretical physicist, Nobel laureate Kip Thorn in Zurich
- The first in the history Talysh library to open in YSU
- Topics of the talks between Putin and Trump at G20 summit announced
- Delegation led by defense minister participates in Army 2019 International Military- Technical Forum in Russia
- Iranian Foreign Ministry: US forever closed the path of diplomacy
- President proposes to hold 6th STARMUS Festival in Armenia
- Armenia national detained during Tbilisi demonstrations is released
- Armenia has it all: Rosturizm on alternative to Georgia
- Winter Olympics 2026 to be held in Italy
- Azerbaijani FM’s claims are of non-constructive nature and devalue the seriousness of the peace process: MFA spokesperson
- US announced sanctions against Iranian FM
- Zohrab Mnatsakanyan's speech at 41st session of UN Human Rights Council
- President of Artsakh holds consultation on establishment of Investigation Committee
- Armenia Defense Ministry, Hi-Tech Cyber Security Center launch contest
- ADL and ARFD members held an inter-party meeting
- Opening of Charles Aznavour square in Chaville (PHOTOS)