Georgian Airways has lost $25 million since Russia's flight ban
Georgia’s national flag carrier Georgian Airways has announced that it has lost close to $25 million of revenue since Russia banned all Georgian flights to and from Russia on July 8, Emergin Europe says.
“Suspension of the direct air service between Georgia and Russia dealt a material blow to Georgian Airways and put it into a challenging financial position. The airline had to return about 80 per cent of tickets already sold. Furthermore, the number of individuals desirous of buying tickets declined dramatically,” the company’s officials said in a statement.
Responding to the Georgian government’s initiative to subsidise flights to Georgia through Yerevan, Armenia, the company’s management said it was Georgian Airways that asked for the help of the government “to provide financial aid to the company in a challenging situation,”
On July 28, Georgian MPs from the opposition United National Movement and the European Georgia parties both slammed the government’s plan to subsidise flights through Yerevan, saying the move sends the wrong political signal and further maintains Georgia’s economic dependence on Russia.
Meantime, Georgia’s national currency, the lari (GEL) continued to lose value against the euro and the US dollar, with Georgian commercial banks now selling one USD for three GEL.
“Today, Georgia is going through an external shock [affecting the GEL],” president of the National Bank of Georgia Koba Gvenetadze told the local press on July 30, adding that the central bank will intervene if the exchange rates have an effect on inflation.
Russian president Vladimir Putin introduced a flight ban to and from Georgia following protests in Tbilisi against Russia’s occupation of Georgia’s two breakaway territories, Abkhazia and Tskhinvali (South Ossetia).
- Meet Judge Armenui Amy Ashvanian
- Velvety Artistic Representation at Venice Biennale
- Edmond Kherlopian: From Kenya to South Africa and Zambia
- ‘Abandoned’ Armenian Properties Around the World
- Change of Her Majesty’s Ambassador to Armenia: Alan Andranik Gogbashian
- ‘Abandoned’ Armenian Properties around the World
- Tekeyan Cultural Association, Inc. Dr. Nubar Berberian Annual Awards
- Today is Armenian renowned prose writer Vardges Petrosyan's birthday
- 16.7 % increase in passenger flow, as compared to July 2018
- Haghartsin Week: Living and making our heritage alive
- Discovering Armenia: Lastiver (photos)
- Some essential points voiced by the Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan in Artsakh
- Meeting with executive director of the “Hayastan” All-Armenian Fund Haykak Arshamyan
- The Statement of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Armenia
- Welcoming speech during the solemn opening ceremony of the 7th Pan-Armenian Summer Games
- Solemn opening ceremony of the 7th Pan-Armenian Summer Games
- 5 Day Weather Forecast
- U18 European C'ship: Armenian women’s basketball team wins gold
- Nikol Pashinyan extends condolences to Donald Trump
- Kiev cutlets recipe
- Air temperature to go down by 8-10 degrees on August 3
- World's largest telescope to appear in Chile by 2027
- Azerbaijan violated ceasefire regime over 900 times during the week
- Commemoration of the Apostle Thaddeus and the Virgin Sandoukht
- Smbataberd Fortress: unapproachable fortress of Vayots Dzor