A pan-European alternative to NATO is on the way?
During the last at meetings of the European Parliament unprecedented revival was observed. In a situation where the United Kingdom, represented by Prime Minister Theresa May, is looking for ways to resolve the headache, called Brexit, with minimal losses (apparently, on March 29, 2019, the British will say goodbye to the EU), other EU leaders like Germany and France, come up with constructive proposals. These proposals provoked a violent reaction both among a number of European politicians and on the other side of the ocean.
It all started with the fact that in early November, French President Emmanuel Macron proposed to create all-European armed forces independent of NATO (and, of course, of the United States) to more effectively protect their own security and democratic processes. It is clear that in this case the Russian Federation is the common enemy.
In response, the US President Donald Trump called the proposal of the French colleague insulting; also “reproaching” that European countries must first make their real share in the NATO’s “common pot”, noting that the North Atlantic alliance exists only thanks to US subsidies.
The next step was taken by German Chancellor Angela Merkel, proposing to form a Council of European Security at the November 13 meeting of the European Parliament. In her opinion, this structure will be aimed at a quick response to any situation and the adoption of operational decisions. And in general, Merkel noted that only a strong Europe is able to protect its values. “It is time to be more independent and become the full masters of our own destiny. This is the only way to save the European community”.
In her speech, Merkel also unreservedly defended Macron’s idea of creating pan-European armed forces, stressing that they would not be against NATO, but would complement this structure and, most importantly, they should show the world that European countries would never fight each other.
However, this apparent idyll was broken not only by Donald Trump. According to RIA Novosti, the current NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg expressed his negative attitude on this issue. The latter believes the security of Europe cannot be imagined without the United States, and European unity will never replace the transatlantic one.
On November 14, Marine Le Pen, de facto leader of the second political force of France - National Unity Party - very negatively responded to the President’s proposal, stating that the army is an element of the sovereignty of the national state and cannot be the basis of interethnic unity.
It is clear that Europe is changing. The two superpowers, Russia and the United States, seem to have become a ballast in the development of the old continent, and the Macron-Merkel couple have assumed the role of “liberators of Europe” from this ballast for quite a long time.
Another thing is how successful this will all end up if we consider the resistance not only of the United States and Russia.
Let's not forget that European countries, including, first of all, France and Germany, are flooded with immigrants. It is not difficult to imagine who will dominate in this pan-European army10-20 years later. For this contingent, that claims to become the European community in the future, European values and cohesion are unlikely to become priorities. Apparently, that was what the nationalist leader Marine Le Pen had in mind.
- Cheese chebureki recipe
- Levon Aronian reaches FIDE World Cup quarterfinals
- Оn 24-27 the air temperature will gradually go up by 6-7 degrees
- Ukraine’s Zelensky signs impeachment bill
- Venezuela’s Maduro says ready for talks with Trump if US changes policy
- System of a Down heading to Portugal, Spain, Germany in 2020
- Rouhani urges Gulf states to jointly ensure the security of the region
- Armenia PM makes new appointment
- Junk food impairs memory, study says
- Can you imagine if I suddenly start speaking without thinking about the consequences?
- Concert marking Komitas’ 150th anniversary held in Moscow
- British Oil Tanker Seized By Iran Will Be Released Soon, Iranian Official Says: Reuters
- Most people do not know that they suffer from migraines
- Levon Aronian reached quarter finals of World Chess Cup
- Azerbaijan attempts subversive attack against Artsakh
- Масленица Обретения Креста на горе Вараг
- Could sunscreen affect vitamin D deficiency?
- On September 22 the air temperature will go down by 8-10 degrees
- Armenia Wine's cognac wins silver at Int'l Wine & Spirit Competition
- Guest Recipe: Grapes Leaves with Rice, Lemon Juice, Olive Oil and Herbs
- Ten Volumes of Italian Diplomatic Documents on Armenians Soon to Be Completed
- Armenia Independence Day
- Putin congatulates Pashinyan
- Diabetes can be predicted at 8 years
- Trump says US supports desire of Armenian people to live in democratic country