AGBU Grieves the Loss of Beloved President and Visionary Leader Louise Manoogian Simone
One of the most consequential figures in modern Armenian life and most collectively admired and respected leaders in AGBU's century-old history, Louise Manoogian Simone will leave an indelible mark of hope and inspiration through her dedicated service to the Armenian people, the Armenian homeland and the Armenian Church.
Her recent passing has brought deep sorrow to the worldwide AGBU family, which she served with tireless devotion and singular distinction, as the first and only female leader of the organization, first as a Central Board member and as international President for 12 years.
Upon learning of her passing, current AGBU President Berge Setrakian, who served as Vice President under Simone's leadership, described her as a pioneering spirit and a woman far ahead of her time. "She was called upon to steer the AGBU through many challenges, rising to become a driving force behind many of the successes and benefits that Armenians across the world enjoy today. She was a role model for all who had the good fortune to work with her and watch her brilliant mind at work. Always idealistic, yet practical, efficient and wise, she managed to see past the immediate obstacles to find solutions that would yield lasting results."
Louise Simone's life was one of great destiny. During her tenure, she was the first to organize the massive relief effort in the aftermath of the 1988 Earthquake in Armenia; she brought aid and comfort to combat victims and their families in war-torn Nagorno-Karabakh; and was instrumental in the rebirth of an independent Armenia, helping it to overcome many hardships created by a collapsed socio-economic and educational system.
"The sheer number of fronts on which she operated on any given day was truly astounding, not only managing all the moving parts with grace, but also maintaining all the existing AGBU educational, cultural and artistic programs across the diaspora," Mr. Setrakian noted.
Among Louise Simone's proudest achievements was the establishment of the American University of Armenia, AGBU Children's Centers, and AGBU Senior Dining Centers, all of which continue to thrive in Armenia to this day, thanks to her inspired leadership.
Click here to read the formal obituary from the Manoogian Simone Foundation
AGBU Armenia has opened a condolence book, February 20, 13:00 till February 24, to commemorate the recently deceased former AGBU President and major philanthropist, Louise Manoogian Simone. The organization invites all those who wish to pay tribute to the memory of the late Louise Simone to sign the condolence book at AGBU Armenia HQ on 2/2 Melik Adamyan Street.
- Statement of MFA of Armenia on the adoption of Resolution 296 affirming the US record on the Armenian Genocide by US House of Representatives
- Pushed by latest Turkey aggression, House passes resolution formally commemorating the Armenian Genocide. The Boston Globe
- Today is renowned Armenian actor Sos Sargsyan's birthday
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 2-3 degrees, in the daytime of 20 it will go down as much
- Armenian PM, President of Artsakh discuss mutual cooperation in Yerevan
- Recipe Corner: Stuffed Roma Tomatoes with Three Cheeses
- President of Armenia holds meeting with delegation of Confindustria Russia
- Coffee may be useful in the fight against diabetes, scientist say
- Armenia's Haypost wins first prize at Europa Stamps 2019
- 2,000 CSTO troops participating in Search 2019 exercise
- Nepal, China agree to remeasure height of Mt Everest: Times of India
- One of the rarest coins in the world dating back to 723AD goes on sale for £1.6MILLION
- Aronian and Hakobyan are half a point behind tournament leaders
- Armenian FM, OSCE MG Co-Chairs highlight formation of favorable environment for peace
- Japan Typhoon death toll rises: NHK
- Airbus delegation to visit Armenia at President’s invitation
- Armenian PM receives OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs
- Syrian army enters Manbij to block Turkey’s expansion
- Today is Global Handwashing Day
- Kim Kardashian “emotional” over visit to Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute
- US sanctions Turkish ministries over Syria offensive
- Remote working may increase stress, reduce well-being: study
- Lepsius House, Genocide Museum Signs Cooperation Agreement
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 3-4 degrees
- Holy Trinity Armenian Apostolic Church Bread Sticks (Simit)