RA MFA spokesperson on CSTO Secretary General appointment
On May 22, 2019, a meeting of the CSTO Council of Ministers of Foreign Affairs will be held in Bishkek under the chairmanship of the Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Kyrgyz Republic Chingiz Aydarbekov. The meeting will be attended by the Ministers of Foreign Affairs of the CSTO member states and the Acting Secretary General of the Organization, Valery Semerikov. The meeting will be held in a narrow and extended composition.
According to Naghdalyan, the ministers will exchange views on topical issues of international and regional security, discuss the activities of the Organization in the current circumstances, including issues regarding the appointment of the CSTO Secretary General, steps in case of premature termination of the powers of the Secretary General
Recently, information spread that from January 1, 2020, the CSTO will be headed by the representative of Belarus Stanislav Zas, known for his pro-Azerbaijani activities. When asked what position Armenia holds regarding this particular candidate, Anna Naghdalyan pointed out: the above can be assumed, but not asserted, since there is no appropriate solution.
“The Collective Security Treaty Organization is governed by the member states, the Collective Security Council. It represents the interests of Member States, and the Secretary-General is the highest administrative officer of the Organization and administers the Secretariat of the Organization. He is responsible for ensuring the normal functioning of the Secretariat and coordinating the work of the on-site bodies. In this regard, we evaluate the candidacy of the Secretary General, based on how he can carry out the leadership.
Decisions are made only by Member States and only by consensus. If a particular candidate is nominated, we will evaluate how he will serve the interests of Member States, how he will be able to ensure the activities of the Secretariat. We are not at this stage yet, ”said Anna Naghdalyan.
Anna Naghdalyan also informed that Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi will visit Armenia on May 25-26, during his visit signing of documents is scheduled.
In addition, as spokesperson for the Armenian Foreign Ministry Anna Naghdalyan said at a briefing, the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs will visit the region in late May.
In June, the second meeting of the Partnership Council of Armenia and the EU will take place in Brussels, chaired by Armenian Foreign Minister Zohrab Mnatsakanyan and EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy Federica Mogherini.
- Statement of MFA of Armenia on the adoption of Resolution 296 affirming the US record on the Armenian Genocide by US House of Representatives
- Pushed by latest Turkey aggression, House passes resolution formally commemorating the Armenian Genocide. The Boston Globe
- Today is renowned Armenian actor Sos Sargsyan's birthday
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 2-3 degrees, in the daytime of 20 it will go down as much
- Recipe Corner: Stuffed Roma Tomatoes with Three Cheeses
- Armenian PM, President of Artsakh discuss mutual cooperation in Yerevan
- President of Armenia holds meeting with delegation of Confindustria Russia
- Coffee may be useful in the fight against diabetes, scientist say
- Armenia's Haypost wins first prize at Europa Stamps 2019
- 2,000 CSTO troops participating in Search 2019 exercise
- Nepal, China agree to remeasure height of Mt Everest: Times of India
- One of the rarest coins in the world dating back to 723AD goes on sale for £1.6MILLION
- Aronian and Hakobyan are half a point behind tournament leaders
- Armenian FM, OSCE MG Co-Chairs highlight formation of favorable environment for peace
- Japan Typhoon death toll rises: NHK
- Airbus delegation to visit Armenia at President’s invitation
- Armenian PM receives OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs
- Syrian army enters Manbij to block Turkey’s expansion
- Today is Global Handwashing Day
- Kim Kardashian “emotional” over visit to Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute
- US sanctions Turkish ministries over Syria offensive
- Remote working may increase stress, reduce well-being: study
- Lepsius House, Genocide Museum Signs Cooperation Agreement
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 3-4 degrees
- Holy Trinity Armenian Apostolic Church Bread Sticks (Simit)