RA MFA spokesperson on CSTO Secretary General appointment
On May 22, 2019, a meeting of the CSTO Council of Ministers of Foreign Affairs will be held in Bishkek under the chairmanship of the Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Kyrgyz Republic Chingiz Aydarbekov. The meeting will be attended by the Ministers of Foreign Affairs of the CSTO member states and the Acting Secretary General of the Organization, Valery Semerikov. The meeting will be held in a narrow and extended composition.
According to Naghdalyan, the ministers will exchange views on topical issues of international and regional security, discuss the activities of the Organization in the current circumstances, including issues regarding the appointment of the CSTO Secretary General, steps in case of premature termination of the powers of the Secretary General
Recently, information spread that from January 1, 2020, the CSTO will be headed by the representative of Belarus Stanislav Zas, known for his pro-Azerbaijani activities. When asked what position Armenia holds regarding this particular candidate, Anna Naghdalyan pointed out: the above can be assumed, but not asserted, since there is no appropriate solution.
“The Collective Security Treaty Organization is governed by the member states, the Collective Security Council. It represents the interests of Member States, and the Secretary-General is the highest administrative officer of the Organization and administers the Secretariat of the Organization. He is responsible for ensuring the normal functioning of the Secretariat and coordinating the work of the on-site bodies. In this regard, we evaluate the candidacy of the Secretary General, based on how he can carry out the leadership.
Decisions are made only by Member States and only by consensus. If a particular candidate is nominated, we will evaluate how he will serve the interests of Member States, how he will be able to ensure the activities of the Secretariat. We are not at this stage yet, ”said Anna Naghdalyan.
Anna Naghdalyan also informed that Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi will visit Armenia on May 25-26, during his visit signing of documents is scheduled.
In addition, as spokesperson for the Armenian Foreign Ministry Anna Naghdalyan said at a briefing, the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs will visit the region in late May.
In June, the second meeting of the Partnership Council of Armenia and the EU will take place in Brussels, chaired by Armenian Foreign Minister Zohrab Mnatsakanyan and EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy Federica Mogherini.
- Xiaomi posts 15% rise in second quarter revenue, below expectations NEW 3 MINUTES AGO
- Russian specialist conducted unique free vascular operations at Armavir MC
- UN Security Council to hold emergency session on US missile projects on August 22
- Neymar is close to returning to Barcelona
- Armenian Meat Ball Soup recipe
- U.S. warns Greece against helping Iranian tanker
- Yerevan Mayor sues municipal council ex-member
- Today is International Day of Remembrance and Tribute to the Victims of Terrorism
- Today is Catholicos of All Armenians Karekin II's birthday
- Alexis Ohanian welcomes Dwayne Johnson to Armenian "clan"
- 5 Day Weather Forecast
- Armenia to take part in World Championship with 9 weightlifters
- Liu Yifei: Mulan boycott urged after star backs HK police
- Siberian ulcer case recorded in Armenia
- “Forget-me-not” tower set to be built in Yerevan
- DOD Conducts Ground Launch Cruise Missile Test
- President Sarkissian, Khaldoon Al Mubarak meet in Manchester
- OSCE to conduct monitoring at Artsakh-Azerbaijan Line of Contact
- From Belgrade to Buenos Aires, these are the world's best party cities
- Oscars 2020 odds: Joaquin Phoenix and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood early favourites
- How social media affects girls' mental health: study
- Bulgur, Mint and Peach Salad Recipe
- George R.R. Martin: "Game Of Thrones" being over is "freeing"
- The air temperature will not essentially change
- International Photo Festival to be held in Yerevan