RA MFA spokesperson on CSTO Secretary General appointment
On May 22, 2019, a meeting of the CSTO Council of Ministers of Foreign Affairs will be held in Bishkek under the chairmanship of the Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Kyrgyz Republic Chingiz Aydarbekov. The meeting will be attended by the Ministers of Foreign Affairs of the CSTO member states and the Acting Secretary General of the Organization, Valery Semerikov. The meeting will be held in a narrow and extended composition.
According to Naghdalyan, the ministers will exchange views on topical issues of international and regional security, discuss the activities of the Organization in the current circumstances, including issues regarding the appointment of the CSTO Secretary General, steps in case of premature termination of the powers of the Secretary General
Recently, information spread that from January 1, 2020, the CSTO will be headed by the representative of Belarus Stanislav Zas, known for his pro-Azerbaijani activities. When asked what position Armenia holds regarding this particular candidate, Anna Naghdalyan pointed out: the above can be assumed, but not asserted, since there is no appropriate solution.
“The Collective Security Treaty Organization is governed by the member states, the Collective Security Council. It represents the interests of Member States, and the Secretary-General is the highest administrative officer of the Organization and administers the Secretariat of the Organization. He is responsible for ensuring the normal functioning of the Secretariat and coordinating the work of the on-site bodies. In this regard, we evaluate the candidacy of the Secretary General, based on how he can carry out the leadership.
Decisions are made only by Member States and only by consensus. If a particular candidate is nominated, we will evaluate how he will serve the interests of Member States, how he will be able to ensure the activities of the Secretariat. We are not at this stage yet, ”said Anna Naghdalyan.
Anna Naghdalyan also informed that Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi will visit Armenia on May 25-26, during his visit signing of documents is scheduled.
In addition, as spokesperson for the Armenian Foreign Ministry Anna Naghdalyan said at a briefing, the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs will visit the region in late May.
In June, the second meeting of the Partnership Council of Armenia and the EU will take place in Brussels, chaired by Armenian Foreign Minister Zohrab Mnatsakanyan and EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy Federica Mogherini.
- UN says the world now is home to 272 million migrants
- British travel vlogger flies 30,000 miles to see the Seven Wonders of the World in just seven days: The Sun
- Hyundai Motor Group Develops Center Side Airbag
- The air temperature will gradually go down by 9-11 degrees
- Google plans to protect users from dubious medical information
- Artsakh comments on statements of Georgian and Ukrainian foreign ministries
- Armenian PM holds farewell meeting with UK Ambassador
- Surp Amenaprkich Ghazanchetsots Cathedral in Shushi
- Romania’s Senate adopts bill to declare October 12 Day of Armenian language, alphabet and culture
- Dzeko wants Mkhitaryan to stay at Roma for long term
- Former Police Chief of Armenia Vladimir Gasparyan charged for abuse of power
- Saudi Arabia vows "material evidence" linking Iran to oil attack
- President Sarkissian signs decree on dismissing Valery Osipyan as Police Chief of Armenia
- OSCE conducts monitoring on Artsakh-Azerbaijan line of contact
- PM fires Police Chief Valery Osipyan
- Iranian leader calls attack on Saudi refineries warning from Yemenis
- Armenian FM hosted by Latvian President in Riga Castle
- Armenia’s Independence Day
- Valeriy Osipyan’s resignation not discussed at Security Council’s session: NA speaker
- No such thing: Armenia defense minister on chances of stepping down
- World Chess Cup: Armenia’s Aronian is in 1/8 finals
- Today Armenia celebrates Astronomy Day
- Today is outstanding Armenian astronomer Viktor Hambardzumyan's birthday
- Armenia Police Chief resigns
- Chicken fricassee recipe