Holy Trinity Armenian Apostolic Church Bread Sticks (Simit)
By Christine Vartanian Datian
Yield: About 45 pieces.
4 cups flour
1 cube butter at room temperature (Note: 1 cube is equivalent to 1 stick or 1/2 cup)
3/4 cup shortening
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 dry yeast cake, dissolved in warm water (Note: 1 dry yeast cake is equivalent to one (1/4-ounce) packet of dry yeast – or – 2-1/4 teaspoons of active dry or instant active dry yeast.)
2 tablespoons madzoon (plain yogurt) or sour cream
1 tablespoon whiskey or brandy, optional
1-2 large eggs, beaten
Sesame seeds as garnish
Pre-heat oven to 350° F.
In a large bowl, blend the flour, butter, shortening, and salt together until well combined.
Add the yeast, sour cream or madzoon (plain yogurt), and brandy (if using). Mix and knead well. Let dough rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
Take a small amount of dough for each simit, roll pencil thin (about 6 inches long), and twist into a braid. Place on a greased cookie sheet and brush tops with beaten egg.
Lightly sprinkle with sesame seeds, if desired. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown, do not burn. Remove from oven and cool completely on wire racks.
*The is one of the treasured recipes published in the Armenian and Selected Favorite Recipes Cookbook by the Holy Trinity Armenian Apostolic Church Trinity Guild (now Ladies’ Guild) in 1970. The church is located in downtown Fresno, and is registered as a U.S. National Register of Historic Places. The cost is $20.00 each to purchase the cookbook. Include $5.00 for shipping. Please make check payable to: Holy Trinity Armenian Apostolic Church. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Statement of MFA of Armenia on the adoption of Resolution 296 affirming the US record on the Armenian Genocide by US House of Representatives
- Pushed by latest Turkey aggression, House passes resolution formally commemorating the Armenian Genocide. The Boston Globe
- Today is renowned Armenian actor Sos Sargsyan's birthday
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 2-3 degrees, in the daytime of 20 it will go down as much
- Recipe Corner: Stuffed Roma Tomatoes with Three Cheeses
- Armenian PM, President of Artsakh discuss mutual cooperation in Yerevan
- President of Armenia holds meeting with delegation of Confindustria Russia
- Coffee may be useful in the fight against diabetes, scientist say
- Armenia's Haypost wins first prize at Europa Stamps 2019
- 2,000 CSTO troops participating in Search 2019 exercise
- Nepal, China agree to remeasure height of Mt Everest: Times of India
- One of the rarest coins in the world dating back to 723AD goes on sale for £1.6MILLION
- Aronian and Hakobyan are half a point behind tournament leaders
- Armenian FM, OSCE MG Co-Chairs highlight formation of favorable environment for peace
- Japan Typhoon death toll rises: NHK
- Airbus delegation to visit Armenia at President’s invitation
- Armenian PM receives OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs
- Syrian army enters Manbij to block Turkey’s expansion
- Today is Global Handwashing Day
- Kim Kardashian “emotional” over visit to Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute
- US sanctions Turkish ministries over Syria offensive
- Remote working may increase stress, reduce well-being: study
- Lepsius House, Genocide Museum Signs Cooperation Agreement
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 3-4 degrees
- Holy Trinity Armenian Apostolic Church Bread Sticks (Simit)