North Korea-USA: honeymoon end or what?
In June 2018, Washington and Pyongyang, in the face of their leaders - Donald Trump and Kim Jong-un, decided to settle one of the Cold War's conflicts by starting a constructive dialogue. As a result, a document was signed in Singapore, according to which the US was obliged to provide security guarantees to the DPRK, and the North Koreans expressed their willingness to complete denuclearization.
At the end of winter 2019, they met for the second time in Hanoi, Vietnam. However, this meeting was not so optimistic, the sides parted without finishing the negotiations.
On February 28, Kim and Trump met for the second time. After the first day, the sides mutually praised each other, and everyone was looking forward to signing an important decree which would significantly reduce the tension not only in the Korean Peninsula, but also throughout South East Asia, but, unexpectedly, the talks were left unfinished.
At a final press conference, the US President announced that South Korea's claim to completely abolish the sanctions imposed on Pyongyang in return for Kim's promise to abandon nuclear proliferation, was a major obstacle. Trump was against it. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's opinion is also interesting to know. He noted that despite some progress, the leader of the DPRK "was not ready to do more".
Finally, White House spokesperson Sarah Sanders described the meeting as constructive, and that the sides are going to continue contacts in the near future.
As you can see, the American side's comments are cautious and optimistic at the same time. However, most analysts do not share this optimistic approach, at least for one reason that hours after the end of the talks, the North Korean leader has not yet expressed an official opinion on their results and further destiny, and this, of course, does not inspire such optimism.
- Could sunscreen affect vitamin D deficiency?
- On September 22 the air temperature will go down by 8-10 degrees
- Armenia Wine's cognac wins silver at Int'l Wine & Spirit Competition
- Guest Recipe: Grapes Leaves with Rice, Lemon Juice, Olive Oil and Herbs
- Ten Volumes of Italian Diplomatic Documents on Armenians Soon to Be Completed
- Armenia Independence Day
- Putin congatulates Pashinyan
- Diabetes can be predicted at 8 years
- Trump says US supports desire of Armenian people to live in democratic country
- Exercise slows Alzheimer's Disease, study says
- Speaker of Parliament Ararat Mirzoyan offers congratulations on Independence Day
- World Cup: Levon Aronian started with a draw in the 1/8 finals
- Russia, China veto UN resolution calling for truce in Syria
- Bako Sahakyan congratulates Armenian counterpart on Independence Day
- Today is International Day of Peace
- Let’s protect and defend our state, our church, be tolerant and caring towards one another: Armenian President's congratulatory message on Independence Day
- Top officials of Armenia and Artsakh visit Yerablur military pantheon on Independence Day
- Independence Day of Armenia and International Day of Peace: September 21
- Post-Revolution Art: Dialogues about Revolution and Power
- Chicken liver salad recipe
- Armenia’s Police Chief Dismissed, Appointed Adviser To Pashinyan
- In the afternoon of September 21 the wind speed may reach up to 20-25 m/s
- French actor of Armenian descent Charles Gérard dies aged 96
- Elizabeth II congratulates Sarkissian on Armenian Independence Day
- Surp Amenaprkich Ghazanchetsots Cathedral in Shushi