What is Mammaddyarov looking for in South America?
Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov went on a working visit to South America.
According to the official report, the Minister will visit Chile, Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay. The purpose of the visit is to participate in the upcoming so-called UN High-Level Conference on South-South Cooperation in Buenos Aires.
Azerbaijan has no traditional ties with the countries of South America. These relations have been formed over the past two decades and often have a purely protocol character. The level of economic and, especially, cultural contacts is rather low. In this context, Mammadyarov’s tour of South America is a rather remarkable phenomenon and proves that Azerbaijan is seeking new interests in the Western Hemisphere.
Of course, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Azerbaijan could not publish the entire work schedule. But even without this, it is clear that he would not have covered such a long way just for the sake of participation in the conference. The impression is that Azerbaijan intends to feel the mood prevailing in South America, especially the two countries - Argentina and Uruguay. It is no secret that rather influential Armenian communities live in these countries.
Uruguay was the first in the world to recognize the Armenian Genocide. Several years ago, when the parliamentary delegation of Uruguay visited Artsakh, the Azerbaijani side was quite disturbed.
This visit was important because the Uruguayan parliamentarians determined the prospects for the Karabakh settlement by unconditional respect for the right to self-determination. It is difficult to say what are the current moods in the political and government circles of Uruguay on this issue. The same is the case with Argentina.
Nevertheless, if the Azerbaijani Foreign Minister intends to meet with relevant officials of these countries, there is no doubt the topic of Nagorno-Karabakh will be discussed during this period.
Naturally, Mammadyarov will repeat the same that official Baku constantly repeats in interstate relations and at all international platforms. However, this is only one side of the coin. It is much more interesting to know if Azerbaijan really has information that, for example, in the NKR issue, Uruguay intends to take certain steps. Mammadyarov went to this country in order to convince political circles?
What is the Foreign Minister of Azerbaijan looking for in South America?
This is not a rhetorical question at all. It would be logical if the Armenian side takes the appropriate preventive measures, moreover, both through diplomatic channels and through the Armenian community structures of Uruguay and Argentina. That is, it is necessary to do everything possible so that the Azerbaijani comments on the Karabakh issue are not spread, instead, the approach of Uruguayan parliamentarians voiced several years ago, according to which the Karabakh settlement should be based on the right to self-determination, is reinforced.
The outcome of the visit of the Foreign Minister of Azerbaijan will depend on the ongoing efforts of the Armenian side to counter.
In any case, one thing is clear, Azerbaijan has set itself the task, at least, to counteract and, if possible, completely neutralize the influence of the Armenian community in South America, in particular - in Uruguay and Argentina.
We can only wait for what will be the coordinated opposition of the Armenian diplomacy, and especially the Armenian Diaspora.
- Statement of MFA of Armenia on the adoption of Resolution 296 affirming the US record on the Armenian Genocide by US House of Representatives
- Pushed by latest Turkey aggression, House passes resolution formally commemorating the Armenian Genocide. The Boston Globe
- Today is renowned Armenian actor Sos Sargsyan's birthday
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 2-3 degrees, in the daytime of 20 it will go down as much
- Armenian PM, President of Artsakh discuss mutual cooperation in Yerevan
- Recipe Corner: Stuffed Roma Tomatoes with Three Cheeses
- President of Armenia holds meeting with delegation of Confindustria Russia
- Coffee may be useful in the fight against diabetes, scientist say
- Armenia's Haypost wins first prize at Europa Stamps 2019
- 2,000 CSTO troops participating in Search 2019 exercise
- Nepal, China agree to remeasure height of Mt Everest: Times of India
- One of the rarest coins in the world dating back to 723AD goes on sale for £1.6MILLION
- Aronian and Hakobyan are half a point behind tournament leaders
- Armenian FM, OSCE MG Co-Chairs highlight formation of favorable environment for peace
- Japan Typhoon death toll rises: NHK
- Airbus delegation to visit Armenia at President’s invitation
- Armenian PM receives OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs
- Syrian army enters Manbij to block Turkey’s expansion
- Today is Global Handwashing Day
- Kim Kardashian “emotional” over visit to Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute
- US sanctions Turkish ministries over Syria offensive
- Remote working may increase stress, reduce well-being: study
- Lepsius House, Genocide Museum Signs Cooperation Agreement
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 3-4 degrees
- Holy Trinity Armenian Apostolic Church Bread Sticks (Simit)