Iran-USA: mutual readiness to overcome the crisis in the face of new aggravations?
The tumultuous and rapidly developing domestic political events in Armenia to a certain extent pushed foreign political developments, taking place with the participation of our immediate neighbors, into the background. In particular, another aggravation is expected in the already not too smooth American-Iranian relations.
Often these relations resemble the exchange of blows between heavyweight boxers, when the closer the end of the fight is, the more opponents beat each other, forgetting, at the same time, about any forethought. Judge for yourself. Over the past month, Washington has significantly tightened sanctions against major sectors of the Iranian economy.
The United States does not even try to hide that this is a kind of educational method. According to apt commentary from the RIA Novosti news agency, the Americans' goal is “to change Iran’s behavior.”
In this context, the Trump administration is not only resorting to economic sanctions, but also periodically strikes Tehran’s most sensitive points. So, a few days earlier, the United States declared the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps a terrorist organization.
Of course, Tehran’s response was not long in coming. Iran, in turn, recognized the Central Command of the US Armed Forces (CENTCOM) as a terrorist organization, and the United States itself was "the state sponsor of terrorism."
Let me remind you that the United States National Security Advisor to the President, John Bolton, said that the United States sent the aircraft carrier Abraham Lincoln and bombers to the shores of Iran without hiding that Washington was sending a "clear and unmistakable signal to the Iranian regime."
The situation that has appeared is reminiscent of the pre-war one. At the same time, both states declare that they do not want to bring the matter to hostilities. The same hope is expressed by US President Donald Trump, and the Iranian supreme leader Ali Khamenei said that Iran does not intend to wage war with the United States, but will continue to resist Washington.
I will give one more remarkable fact. As the Japanese agency Kyodo reported today, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said during a meeting with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on June 12 that "Tehran does not intend to engage in direct dialogue with Washington in the near future, especially to become the initiator of this dialogue".
At the same time, during the past negotiations between Abe and Rouhani, the Iranian side appealed to the Prime Minister of Japan to personally convey to the US President Donald Trump the requirement to lift the sanctions prohibiting the purchase of Iranian oil.
Recall that on June 10, during negotiations with German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas Rouhani, he called on Europe to oppose the US “economic terrorism against Iran".
Considering that the official website of the Iranian president published the following words of Maas: "He who is familiar with the history of Iran knows well that there is never a return on the strategy of maximum pressure against the Iranian nation," we can assume that the views of Berlin and Washington regarding Iran are significantly different.
- Statement of MFA of Armenia on the adoption of Resolution 296 affirming the US record on the Armenian Genocide by US House of Representatives
- Pushed by latest Turkey aggression, House passes resolution formally commemorating the Armenian Genocide. The Boston Globe
- Today is renowned Armenian actor Sos Sargsyan's birthday
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 2-3 degrees, in the daytime of 20 it will go down as much
- Armenian PM, President of Artsakh discuss mutual cooperation in Yerevan
- Recipe Corner: Stuffed Roma Tomatoes with Three Cheeses
- President of Armenia holds meeting with delegation of Confindustria Russia
- Coffee may be useful in the fight against diabetes, scientist say
- Armenia's Haypost wins first prize at Europa Stamps 2019
- 2,000 CSTO troops participating in Search 2019 exercise
- Nepal, China agree to remeasure height of Mt Everest: Times of India
- One of the rarest coins in the world dating back to 723AD goes on sale for £1.6MILLION
- Aronian and Hakobyan are half a point behind tournament leaders
- Armenian FM, OSCE MG Co-Chairs highlight formation of favorable environment for peace
- Japan Typhoon death toll rises: NHK
- Airbus delegation to visit Armenia at President’s invitation
- Armenian PM receives OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs
- Syrian army enters Manbij to block Turkey’s expansion
- Today is Global Handwashing Day
- Kim Kardashian “emotional” over visit to Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute
- US sanctions Turkish ministries over Syria offensive
- Remote working may increase stress, reduce well-being: study
- Lepsius House, Genocide Museum Signs Cooperation Agreement
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 3-4 degrees
- Holy Trinity Armenian Apostolic Church Bread Sticks (Simit)