Iran-USA: mutual readiness to overcome the crisis in the face of new aggravations?
The tumultuous and rapidly developing domestic political events in Armenia to a certain extent pushed foreign political developments, taking place with the participation of our immediate neighbors, into the background. In particular, another aggravation is expected in the already not too smooth American-Iranian relations.
Often these relations resemble the exchange of blows between heavyweight boxers, when the closer the end of the fight is, the more opponents beat each other, forgetting, at the same time, about any forethought. Judge for yourself. Over the past month, Washington has significantly tightened sanctions against major sectors of the Iranian economy.
The United States does not even try to hide that this is a kind of educational method. According to apt commentary from the RIA Novosti news agency, the Americans' goal is “to change Iran’s behavior.”
In this context, the Trump administration is not only resorting to economic sanctions, but also periodically strikes Tehran’s most sensitive points. So, a few days earlier, the United States declared the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps a terrorist organization.
Of course, Tehran’s response was not long in coming. Iran, in turn, recognized the Central Command of the US Armed Forces (CENTCOM) as a terrorist organization, and the United States itself was "the state sponsor of terrorism."
Let me remind you that the United States National Security Advisor to the President, John Bolton, said that the United States sent the aircraft carrier Abraham Lincoln and bombers to the shores of Iran without hiding that Washington was sending a "clear and unmistakable signal to the Iranian regime."
The situation that has appeared is reminiscent of the pre-war one. At the same time, both states declare that they do not want to bring the matter to hostilities. The same hope is expressed by US President Donald Trump, and the Iranian supreme leader Ali Khamenei said that Iran does not intend to wage war with the United States, but will continue to resist Washington.
I will give one more remarkable fact. As the Japanese agency Kyodo reported today, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said during a meeting with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on June 12 that "Tehran does not intend to engage in direct dialogue with Washington in the near future, especially to become the initiator of this dialogue".
At the same time, during the past negotiations between Abe and Rouhani, the Iranian side appealed to the Prime Minister of Japan to personally convey to the US President Donald Trump the requirement to lift the sanctions prohibiting the purchase of Iranian oil.
Recall that on June 10, during negotiations with German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas Rouhani, he called on Europe to oppose the US “economic terrorism against Iran".
Considering that the official website of the Iranian president published the following words of Maas: "He who is familiar with the history of Iran knows well that there is never a return on the strategy of maximum pressure against the Iranian nation," we can assume that the views of Berlin and Washington regarding Iran are significantly different.
- Zareh Sinanyan met with Abel Aghanbekyan, Academician of the Russian Academy of Sciences
- On July 26-27 the air temperature will go down by 3-4 degrees
- Britain weighs response to Iran Gulf crisis with few good options
- Most harmful to tooth enamel drinks named
- Discovering Armenia: Surp Astvatsatsin Church of Karbi (photos)
- EU pledges "multi-million support" to help revamp Armenia's judiciary
- Tekeyan Cultural Association, Inc. Dr. Nubar Berberian Annual Awards
- Cavusoglu says Turkey is ready for new operation in Syria
- Increased danger level declared in France due to heat
- Ambassador Świtalski reaffirms EU’s position on NK conflict settlement
- Shot fired from Azerbaijani side in Nakhchivan section was not targeted: Armenia Defense Minister
- Zelensky's party set for big win in parliamentary elections
- Armenia must continue efforts for visa-free regime with EU: Switalski
- Iranian Foreign Minister calls US sanctions economic terrorism
- Armenia expects first Russian Su-30 fighters in late 2019 or early 2020
- New birthday photos of Prince George
- President of Artsakh attends final of international sport dance contest-festival in Stepanakert
- Artsakh is part of ancient Armenia: Ukrainian journalist on his journey
- Tigran Avinyan met with Armenian community in Boston
- 8 injured after lightning strike at Florida beach:
- Today is International Boxing Day
- Shinzo Abe intends to sign peace treaty with Russia while in office
- Nikol Pashinyan partakes in MOD graduates' graduation ceremony (live)
- World is changing rapidly, those who do not notice it, will be late: Armen Sarkissian visits Vanadzor Technology Center
- Eve of the Fast of Transfiguration