Iran-USA: mutual readiness to overcome the crisis in the face of new aggravations?
The tumultuous and rapidly developing domestic political events in Armenia to a certain extent pushed foreign political developments, taking place with the participation of our immediate neighbors, into the background. In particular, another aggravation is expected in the already not too smooth American-Iranian relations.
Often these relations resemble the exchange of blows between heavyweight boxers, when the closer the end of the fight is, the more opponents beat each other, forgetting, at the same time, about any forethought. Judge for yourself. Over the past month, Washington has significantly tightened sanctions against major sectors of the Iranian economy.
The United States does not even try to hide that this is a kind of educational method. According to apt commentary from the RIA Novosti news agency, the Americans' goal is “to change Iran’s behavior.”
In this context, the Trump administration is not only resorting to economic sanctions, but also periodically strikes Tehran’s most sensitive points. So, a few days earlier, the United States declared the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps a terrorist organization.
Of course, Tehran’s response was not long in coming. Iran, in turn, recognized the Central Command of the US Armed Forces (CENTCOM) as a terrorist organization, and the United States itself was "the state sponsor of terrorism."
Let me remind you that the United States National Security Advisor to the President, John Bolton, said that the United States sent the aircraft carrier Abraham Lincoln and bombers to the shores of Iran without hiding that Washington was sending a "clear and unmistakable signal to the Iranian regime."
The situation that has appeared is reminiscent of the pre-war one. At the same time, both states declare that they do not want to bring the matter to hostilities. The same hope is expressed by US President Donald Trump, and the Iranian supreme leader Ali Khamenei said that Iran does not intend to wage war with the United States, but will continue to resist Washington.
I will give one more remarkable fact. As the Japanese agency Kyodo reported today, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said during a meeting with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on June 12 that "Tehran does not intend to engage in direct dialogue with Washington in the near future, especially to become the initiator of this dialogue".
At the same time, during the past negotiations between Abe and Rouhani, the Iranian side appealed to the Prime Minister of Japan to personally convey to the US President Donald Trump the requirement to lift the sanctions prohibiting the purchase of Iranian oil.
Recall that on June 10, during negotiations with German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas Rouhani, he called on Europe to oppose the US “economic terrorism against Iran".
Considering that the official website of the Iranian president published the following words of Maas: "He who is familiar with the history of Iran knows well that there is never a return on the strategy of maximum pressure against the Iranian nation," we can assume that the views of Berlin and Washington regarding Iran are significantly different.
- Iran warns of attacks by US or Saudi Arabia NEW 21 MINUTES AGO
- Actor Babken Chobanyan bestowed with Honorary Title of Honored Artist of Armenia NEW 23 MINUTES AGO
- President Sarkissian awards writer Alexander Topchyan with medal
- Today is Vazgen I birthday
- Yekaterinburg to host a concert to mark Komitas's 150th anniversary
- Armenia, Azerbaijan FMs to meet in New York on September 23
- Labor strike and boycotting of classes in Jermuk town for saving Amulsar
- Arman Sargsyan appointed acting Armenian police chief
- Instagram Users Under 18 Will Soon Be Blocked From Seeing Posts Promoting Certain Cosmetic Surgery And Diet Products: Buzzfeed
- Earthquake hits Armenia's Shirak Province
- On September 22-23 the air temperature will gradually go down by 8-10 degrees
- Armenian Nuclear Power Plant can smoothly operate until 2026, says Russian expert
- FIDE World Cup 2019: Aronian to play against Vietnam’s Lê Quang Liêm
- George R.R. Martin confirms HBO Targaryen show
- Otyan as political satirist
- Top 5 high-calorie but healthy snacks
- Today is Smiley Emoticons Day
- Brain needs lot of time to recover from alcohol
- Today is 150th anniversary of the birth of Armenian satirist writer Yervand Otyan
- UN says the world now is home to 272 million migrants
- British travel vlogger flies 30,000 miles to see the Seven Wonders of the World in just seven days: The Sun
- Hyundai Motor Group Develops Center Side Airbag
- The air temperature will gradually go down by 9-11 degrees
- Google plans to protect users from dubious medical information
- Artsakh comments on statements of Georgian and Ukrainian foreign ministries