Zhoghovurd: Why wasn't new CSTO Secretary General elected?
During the yesterday's summit the leaders of CSTO member states failed to answer the burning question, namely which country the next secretary general will represent, Zhoghovurd newspaper writes.
After Yuri Khachaturov was recalled by Armenia, Belarus is claiming for the post and is supported by Kazakhstan. However, Russia, which has a decisive role, has not voiced a clear position yet.
Anyhow, the decisions are made collectively, and if any of the members vetoes one of the options, there will be no decision.
“Meanwhile, the 17th provision of the CSTO regulations says the Secretary General is appointed by the decision of the council and for a three-year term.
And, since CSTO presidency passed to Armenia, not Yuri Khachaturov, for three years, the replacement of the secretary general does not have to affect the country. And from legal viewpoint Armenia is definitely right, but there are still political nuances,” the daily writes.
- Armenian Dance Teacher from Japan: interview with Azat Gharibyan
- Armenia has lowest child suicide rate in Europe
- Armenian skier performs well at Finland-hosted tournament
- Recipe Corner: Baked Citrus Dill Salmon with Parsley and Onions
- Belarus to ship new batch of weapons to Azerbaijan
- Syrian army on high alert after militant attack kills 23 soldiers
- Russian military unveils video footage of new Su-57 stealth fighter in Syria
- Germany fully halts arms exports Saudi Arabia
- Acting first deputy PM reaffirms increase in tax burden is ruled out without public consent
- Members of Russian State Duma to observe early parliamentary elections in Armenia
- Armenia’s delegation led by Secretary of Security Council to depart for Moscow, Russia
- Ombudsman’s representatives carry out unannounced visit to Central Military Hospital
- Today is Universal Children's Day
- Roads mostly passable across Armenia, authorities urge drivers to shift to winter tires
- Russian cosmonauts expected to land on Moon after 2030
- Majestic Tekeyan Hall in Cairo Opens: Armenian Mirror-Spectator
- Azerbaijani manipulation: who is it addressed to?
- No precipitation is expected in the republic
- Recipe Corner: Garbanzo Bean and Vegetable Soup
- Paying Tribute To Diana Der Hovanessian
- Iran wants better ties with Iraq, Rouhani says
- Syrian army "foils militant attack" in northern Hama
- Extraordinary Cabinet meeting to be held today
- Today is Armenian outstanding national figure Maghakia Ormanian's memory day
- Naming himself defense chief, Netanyahu says ‘no room for politics’ in security