Turkey wants to deprive Paylan from parliamentary immunity
The prosecutor's office of the city of Diyarbakir in Turkey sent a petition to the country's parliament to deprive Garo Paylan, a deputy from the opposition Democratic Party of Peoples, of immunity in connection with the investigation launched against him on the grounds of article 301 of the Turkish Criminal Code.
According to Turkish media, the prosecutor’s office received the consent of the Ministry of Justice of the country to begin an investigation into the Turkish MP of Armenian origin.
The investigation is connected with the statements of Garo Paylan in July 2018 that the situation in Diyarbakir, where water cannons and armored vehicles can be seen at every corner, reminds of “the periods of the rule of Hitler and Mussolini”. In turn, the authorities of Diyarbakir view the deputy’s words as an insult to the Turkish authorities.
Commenting on the situation, Garo Paylan said that the Turkish government continues to use Article 301 of the Turkish Criminal Code as a tool to suppress opposition in the country.
Article 301 of the Turkish Penal Code provides for punishment for insulting Turkey, the Turkish nation or Turkish government institutions.
- Today is World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought NEW 3 MINUTES AGO
- Armen Sarkissian congratulated Iceland on National Day
- Today is Armenian chess player Tigran Petrosyan's birthday
- Komitas’ letters to Hovhannes Toumanian
- Syrian Restaurants in Armenia: A Pinch of Home, A Taste of Exile
- First-ever Armenian-language TV station launches in Turkey
- Аwards ceremony for the winners of 2018/2019 season was held
- Exiled Turkish journalist reunited with family in Germany after 3 years
- Karabakh President visits Askeran, Martakert Regions
- Apple registers 7 Mac notebooks in Eurasian database
- Recipe Corner: Guest Recipe: Baked Spinach and Eggs (Havgitov Spanach)
- Everything you should know about proper nutrition and healthy lifestyle: Lidia Ayvazyan is the guest of Hay Dzayn Today
- Minsk 2019: Lineup of the Armenia Greco-Roman wrestling team
- Pashinyan Faces Traps in and out of Armenia: Armenian Mirror-Spectator
- Yerevan-Tehran roundtrip regular flights launched on June 15
- Yervand Kochar's most famous sculptures
- President Sarkissian congratulated China’s Xi Jinping on birthday
- Armenia's Levon Aronian shares 2nd-3rd spots at Norway Chess
- Today is Republic of Armenia National Flag Day
- 7th Pan-Armenian Summer Games’ torch heads from Turkey’s Van to Karabakh’s Stepanakert
- Today is Armenian prominent sculptor Ervand Kochar’s birthday
- Journalist Deniz Yücel Speaks Out on Arrest in Turkey
- Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon Panossian Gives Kids Smiles in Armenia
- Interview with President Armen Sarkissian: Financial Times of London
- The air temperature will not essentially change