Turkey wants to deprive Paylan from parliamentary immunity
The prosecutor's office of the city of Diyarbakir in Turkey sent a petition to the country's parliament to deprive Garo Paylan, a deputy from the opposition Democratic Party of Peoples, of immunity in connection with the investigation launched against him on the grounds of article 301 of the Turkish Criminal Code.
According to Turkish media, the prosecutor’s office received the consent of the Ministry of Justice of the country to begin an investigation into the Turkish MP of Armenian origin.
The investigation is connected with the statements of Garo Paylan in July 2018 that the situation in Diyarbakir, where water cannons and armored vehicles can be seen at every corner, reminds of “the periods of the rule of Hitler and Mussolini”. In turn, the authorities of Diyarbakir view the deputy’s words as an insult to the Turkish authorities.
Commenting on the situation, Garo Paylan said that the Turkish government continues to use Article 301 of the Turkish Criminal Code as a tool to suppress opposition in the country.
Article 301 of the Turkish Penal Code provides for punishment for insulting Turkey, the Turkish nation or Turkish government institutions.
- Letter to the Editor: ‘You Are What Your Record Says You Are’
- Krikor Balakian’s The Ruins of Ani published by Rutgers University Press
- In the daytime of March 20 and on 21-25 no precipitation is predicted
- World Poetry Day to be celebrated in Yerevan Kentron district
- The Mediator between Armenian and Belgian Music: Interview with Pianist Laurence-Anahit Mekhitarian
- Symposium: Life After Babylon
- 2 months of Francophonie launching in Armenia
- More Russians to spend their May holidays in Armenia
- Alpine skier Ashot Karapetyan won second medal in Turkey
- “Prospects for nuclear industry development in Armenia” panel discussion kicked off in Yerevan
- Exploitation of Armenian Genocide term in the background of tension between Israel-Turkey relations is unacceptable: Anna Naghdalyan
- March 20 is International Francophonie Day
- RA MFA spokesperson's briefing launched (live)
- Kocharyan’s lawyers appealed to the Court of Appeal
- Armenian figure skaters to participate in World Cup in Japan
- 6.2 magnitude earthquake strikes Turkey
- Today is International Earth Day
- Karabakh Conflict at Crossroads
- Armenian Ambassador presents credentials to Federal President of Austria
- Today is spring equinox day
- Press conference Minister of Territorial Administration and Development of Armenia kicked off
- Church Saves AGBU Center in Toronto In a Last Minute Financial Arrangement
- Today is Internationsl Day of Happiness
- Kassym-Jomart Tokayev took office as President of Kazakhstan
- Today is academician Joseph Orbeli's birthday