Turkey wants to deprive Paylan from parliamentary immunity
The prosecutor's office of the city of Diyarbakir in Turkey sent a petition to the country's parliament to deprive Garo Paylan, a deputy from the opposition Democratic Party of Peoples, of immunity in connection with the investigation launched against him on the grounds of article 301 of the Turkish Criminal Code.
According to Turkish media, the prosecutor’s office received the consent of the Ministry of Justice of the country to begin an investigation into the Turkish MP of Armenian origin.
The investigation is connected with the statements of Garo Paylan in July 2018 that the situation in Diyarbakir, where water cannons and armored vehicles can be seen at every corner, reminds of “the periods of the rule of Hitler and Mussolini”. In turn, the authorities of Diyarbakir view the deputy’s words as an insult to the Turkish authorities.
Commenting on the situation, Garo Paylan said that the Turkish government continues to use Article 301 of the Turkish Criminal Code as a tool to suppress opposition in the country.
Article 301 of the Turkish Penal Code provides for punishment for insulting Turkey, the Turkish nation or Turkish government institutions.
- Armenian cuisine: kutap
- ‘Roupen Herian: Rescuer of Armenian Orphans’ Program Hosted by Tekeyan Cultural Association Metro Los Angeles Chapter
- In Yerevan In the daytime of January 23, 24, 27 no precipitation is predicted
- Ararat Mirzoyan received Piotr Świtalski
- Elevators production to be set up in Kotayk region
- Director Johnny Kevorkian Releases ‘Await Further Instructions,’ Talks about Biggest Influences
- Armenian and Azerbaijani Foreign Ministers Meet Again
- Pashinyan commented on his meeting with Aliyev (live)
- US, Iran and Turkey use the Armenian factor to weaken Russia's position in the Caucasus
- Earthquake of 4.6 magnitude hit Turkey
- Putin’s schedule for January 25 does not include meeting with Pashinyan yet: Peskov
- In Search of Leonard, My Martyred Ancestor
- Eiffel Tower opened for visitors after a snowfall
- Symbolism and Realism in the Karabakh Issue
- We should shake Lukashenko's outstretched hand
- US Senator condemning the Armenian Genocide to compete for presidency
- Human Rights Defender offered proposals to the servicemen on affordable housing conditions
- Naira Zohrabyan received a proposal from the EU: "Zhamanak"
- Pashinyan held an informal meeting with Aliyev in Davos
- Italian Tenor Alessandro Safina Announces US Tour in April Featuring Victor Espinola and Forbidden Saints
- Air temperature to go up by 5-7 degrees
- Manvel Grigoryan arrested: he was transferred to “Yerevan-Kentron” prison
- Daron Malakian's Scars On Broadway unveil U.S. tour dates
- Structure of the Armenian government to change within a month
- Recipe Corner: Garbanzo Bean and Vegetable Soup