Lori Berd fortress - 1000-year-old witness of Armenian history (photos)
The medieval fortress of Lori Berd is located in the present-day Lori region, 4.5 kilometers from Stepanavan Dendropark. The fortress was founded by David Anhoghin (Landless), most likely in 1005-1020.
Located on the northern trade route, Lori was a major center of commerce and craftsmanship of medieval Armenia. The trade route was connected with Ani, Dvin, Dmanis, Tphys and other cities. In the XI-XIII centuries, the city had a population of 10 thousand people.
In 1105, for some period Lori was captured by the Seljuks, in 1118 by Georgian troops, after which the city with all the adjacent territories became the property of the Orbelians. In 1185, Lori passed to Sarkis Zakaryan, and after his death - to his sons Ivane and Zakare Zakaryans. In June 1236, Mongolian troops captured and thoroughly destroyed the city. Since 1430, Lori was ruled by the Armenian Orbelians.
In 1562-1734, Lori, as the most important military fortress, was passing to the Turks, then to the Persians, and sometimes to the Georgians. At the end of the 18th century, Lori lost the role of a fortress and turned into an ordinary castle, where refugees evicted from various localities were based.
The fortress lived most prosperous life in the second half of the 11th century, becoming the capital of the Tashir-Dzoraget kingdom. In the castle of Lori-Berd one church and 2 baths are preserved. Near the castle, in the lower part of the gorge, there is an arched bridge that passes through the Urut River. On the left side of the bridge, on a rock, there are a lot of cross sculptures located.
- Statement of MFA of Armenia on the adoption of Resolution 296 affirming the US record on the Armenian Genocide by US House of Representatives
- Pushed by latest Turkey aggression, House passes resolution formally commemorating the Armenian Genocide. The Boston Globe
- Today is renowned Armenian actor Sos Sargsyan's birthday
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 2-3 degrees, in the daytime of 20 it will go down as much
- Recipe Corner: Stuffed Roma Tomatoes with Three Cheeses
- Armenian PM, President of Artsakh discuss mutual cooperation in Yerevan
- President of Armenia holds meeting with delegation of Confindustria Russia
- Coffee may be useful in the fight against diabetes, scientist say
- Armenia's Haypost wins first prize at Europa Stamps 2019
- 2,000 CSTO troops participating in Search 2019 exercise
- Nepal, China agree to remeasure height of Mt Everest: Times of India
- One of the rarest coins in the world dating back to 723AD goes on sale for £1.6MILLION
- Aronian and Hakobyan are half a point behind tournament leaders
- Armenian FM, OSCE MG Co-Chairs highlight formation of favorable environment for peace
- Japan Typhoon death toll rises: NHK
- Airbus delegation to visit Armenia at President’s invitation
- Armenian PM receives OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs
- Syrian army enters Manbij to block Turkey’s expansion
- Today is Global Handwashing Day
- Kim Kardashian “emotional” over visit to Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute
- US sanctions Turkish ministries over Syria offensive
- Remote working may increase stress, reduce well-being: study
- Lepsius House, Genocide Museum Signs Cooperation Agreement
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 3-4 degrees
- Holy Trinity Armenian Apostolic Church Bread Sticks (Simit)