Lori Berd fortress - 1000-year-old witness of Armenian history (photos)
The medieval fortress of Lori Berd is located in the present-day Lori region, 4.5 kilometers from Stepanavan Dendropark. The fortress was founded by David Anhoghin (Landless), most likely in 1005-1020.
Located on the northern trade route, Lori was a major center of commerce and craftsmanship of medieval Armenia. The trade route was connected with Ani, Dvin, Dmanis, Tphys and other cities. In the XI-XIII centuries, the city had a population of 10 thousand people.
In 1105, for some period Lori was captured by the Seljuks, in 1118 by Georgian troops, after which the city with all the adjacent territories became the property of the Orbelians. In 1185, Lori passed to Sarkis Zakaryan, and after his death - to his sons Ivane and Zakare Zakaryans. In June 1236, Mongolian troops captured and thoroughly destroyed the city. Since 1430, Lori was ruled by the Armenian Orbelians.
In 1562-1734, Lori, as the most important military fortress, was passing to the Turks, then to the Persians, and sometimes to the Georgians. At the end of the 18th century, Lori lost the role of a fortress and turned into an ordinary castle, where refugees evicted from various localities were based.
The fortress lived most prosperous life in the second half of the 11th century, becoming the capital of the Tashir-Dzoraget kingdom. In the castle of Lori-Berd one church and 2 baths are preserved. Near the castle, in the lower part of the gorge, there is an arched bridge that passes through the Urut River. On the left side of the bridge, on a rock, there are a lot of cross sculptures located.
- Meet Judge Armenui Amy Ashvanian
- Velvety Artistic Representation at Venice Biennale
- Edmond Kherlopian: From Kenya to South Africa and Zambia
- ‘Abandoned’ Armenian Properties Around the World
- Change of Her Majesty’s Ambassador to Armenia: Alan Andranik Gogbashian
- ‘Abandoned’ Armenian Properties around the World
- Tekeyan Cultural Association, Inc. Dr. Nubar Berberian Annual Awards
- Today is Armenian renowned prose writer Vardges Petrosyan's birthday
- 16.7 % increase in passenger flow, as compared to July 2018
- Haghartsin Week: Living and making our heritage alive
- Discovering Armenia: Lastiver (photos)
- Some essential points voiced by the Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan in Artsakh
- Meeting with executive director of the “Hayastan” All-Armenian Fund Haykak Arshamyan
- The Statement of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Armenia
- Welcoming speech during the solemn opening ceremony of the 7th Pan-Armenian Summer Games
- Solemn opening ceremony of the 7th Pan-Armenian Summer Games
- 5 Day Weather Forecast
- U18 European C'ship: Armenian women’s basketball team wins gold
- Nikol Pashinyan extends condolences to Donald Trump
- Kiev cutlets recipe
- Air temperature to go down by 8-10 degrees on August 3
- World's largest telescope to appear in Chile by 2027
- Azerbaijan violated ceasefire regime over 900 times during the week
- Commemoration of the Apostle Thaddeus and the Virgin Sandoukht
- Smbataberd Fortress: unapproachable fortress of Vayots Dzor