27 years have passed since Shushi liberation
May 9 has been of special importance for Armenians for already 27 years: the victory in the Great Patriotic War in 1945 was later followed by a victory in the liberation of Shushi, a fortress in Nagorno-Karabakh (Artsakh), with subsequent formation of the Nagorno-Karabakh Defense Army, in 1992.
In 1941-1945, the Armenian people actively contributed to the victory. About 600,000 Armenians participated in the great patriotic war. Six Armenian divisions were formed, and 314,000 Armenians were killed or went missing.
The Armenian people is proud of four Marshals and one Admiral – Ivan Baghramian, Sergei Khudyakov (Armenak Khanferiants), Amazasp Babajanian, Sergei Aganov and Ivan Isakov (Hovhannes Ter-Isahakian). Three of the four Soviet Marshals were born in Nagorno-Karabakh (Artsakh).
More than 60 Armenian generals were in command of large military groups of the Red Army. Some 70,000 Armenian soldiers, officers and generals were awarded orders and medals for courage, with 27 of them being full recipients of the Order of Glory. One hundred and three Armenians received the highest award – Hero of the Soviet Union.
Twenty-four years ago, on May 9, 1992, the Armenian troops liberated Shushi.
For 27 years, each person saying ‘May is a month of victories’ implies the liberation of Shushi as well. Both in school textbooks and in electronic encyclopedias, the truth is that the liberation of Shushi was a feat of arms of Armenian freedom-fighters, which proved crucial for further course of the Artsakh war.
In independent Armenia’s history the liberation of Shushi is called “A wedding in the mountains.” It was because the then minister of defense Vazgen Sargsian promised to get married if the operation proved a success.
May 9 is the official date of formation of the Nagorno-Karabakh Defense Army.
A number of events to celebrate the holiday are planned in Armenia.
- Pakhlava recipe
- Levon Aronian loses in Sinquefield Cup
- Soso Pavliashvili to give a concert in Yerevan
- The air temperature will not essentially change
- Vacationing More Often May Reduce Metabolic Syndrome Risk
- Armen Sarkissian appointed new advisor
- Nikol Pashinyan offered birthday greetings to Garegin II
- Air temperature is 4-5 degrees higher than the norm: chief meteorologist
- Xiaomi posts 15% rise in second quarter revenue, below expectations
- Picture Group announces Matrix 4 with Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss reprising roles
- OSCE monitoring on Artsakh and Azerbaijan armed forces contact line conducted
- Russian specialist conducted unique free vascular operations at Armavir MC
- Lydian assumes obligation that Amulsar's contaminated waters will not be released into environment
- UN Security Council to hold emergency session on US missile projects on August 22
- Pashinyan holds consultation on Amulsar matter
- Neymar is close to returning to Barcelona
- Armenian Meat Ball Soup recipe
- U.S. warns Greece against helping Iranian tanker
- Yerevan Mayor sues municipal council ex-member
- Today is International Day of Remembrance and Tribute to the Victims of Terrorism
- Garo Paylan says there is state terrorism in Turkey
- Today is Catholicos of All Armenians Karekin II's birthday
- Alexis Ohanian welcomes Dwayne Johnson to Armenian "clan"
- 5 Day Weather Forecast
- Armenia to take part in World Championship with 9 weightlifters