27 years have passed since Shushi liberation
May 9 has been of special importance for Armenians for already 27 years: the victory in the Great Patriotic War in 1945 was later followed by a victory in the liberation of Shushi, a fortress in Nagorno-Karabakh (Artsakh), with subsequent formation of the Nagorno-Karabakh Defense Army, in 1992.
In 1941-1945, the Armenian people actively contributed to the victory. About 600,000 Armenians participated in the great patriotic war. Six Armenian divisions were formed, and 314,000 Armenians were killed or went missing.
The Armenian people is proud of four Marshals and one Admiral – Ivan Baghramian, Sergei Khudyakov (Armenak Khanferiants), Amazasp Babajanian, Sergei Aganov and Ivan Isakov (Hovhannes Ter-Isahakian). Three of the four Soviet Marshals were born in Nagorno-Karabakh (Artsakh).
More than 60 Armenian generals were in command of large military groups of the Red Army. Some 70,000 Armenian soldiers, officers and generals were awarded orders and medals for courage, with 27 of them being full recipients of the Order of Glory. One hundred and three Armenians received the highest award – Hero of the Soviet Union.
Twenty-four years ago, on May 9, 1992, the Armenian troops liberated Shushi.
For 27 years, each person saying ‘May is a month of victories’ implies the liberation of Shushi as well. Both in school textbooks and in electronic encyclopedias, the truth is that the liberation of Shushi was a feat of arms of Armenian freedom-fighters, which proved crucial for further course of the Artsakh war.
In independent Armenia’s history the liberation of Shushi is called “A wedding in the mountains.” It was because the then minister of defense Vazgen Sargsian promised to get married if the operation proved a success.
May 9 is the official date of formation of the Nagorno-Karabakh Defense Army.
A number of events to celebrate the holiday are planned in Armenia.
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 2-3 degrees, in the daytime of 20 it will go down as much
- Armenian PM, President of Artsakh discuss mutual cooperation in Yerevan
- Recipe Corner: Stuffed Roma Tomatoes with Three Cheeses
- President of Armenia holds meeting with delegation of Confindustria Russia
- Coffee may be useful in the fight against diabetes, scientist say
- Armenia's Haypost wins first prize at Europa Stamps 2019
- 2,000 CSTO troops participating in Search 2019 exercise
- Nepal, China agree to remeasure height of Mt Everest: Times of India
- One of the rarest coins in the world dating back to 723AD goes on sale for £1.6MILLION
- Aronian and Hakobyan are half a point behind tournament leaders
- Armenian FM, OSCE MG Co-Chairs highlight formation of favorable environment for peace
- Japan Typhoon death toll rises: NHK
- Airbus delegation to visit Armenia at President’s invitation
- Armenian PM receives OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs
- Syrian army enters Manbij to block Turkey’s expansion
- Today is Global Handwashing Day
- Kim Kardashian “emotional” over visit to Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute
- US sanctions Turkish ministries over Syria offensive
- Remote working may increase stress, reduce well-being: study
- Lepsius House, Genocide Museum Signs Cooperation Agreement
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 3-4 degrees
- Holy Trinity Armenian Apostolic Church Bread Sticks (Simit)
- Nutritionists reveal secret of eternal youth
- New sarcophagus of Chernobyl nuclear power plant photographed from bird's eye view
- Turkey won’t stop Syria operation until it achieves goals, Erdogan administration says