Shadows of big politics
Politics is such an ungrateful thing. After the terrible fire that occurred in Notre-Dame de Paris, Russian President Vladimir Putin, like many of his foreign colleagues, expressed his sympathy to the French people. At the same time, he announced his readiness to contribute to the reconstruction of the “historical symbol of France, the priceless treasure of European and world culture, as well as one of the most important Christian shrines”, proposing that the best restoration specialists in Russia be sent to Paris.
It is still unclear what will be the answer of the official Paris. Let us hope that a positive one, after all, we Armenians, more than anyone else, know the price of friendly hands stretched during the time of misfortune ... The terrible earthquake of 1988 will never be erased from our memory. In the meantime (this became known this morning), the French contingent of servicemen, three hundred people overall, together with the appropriate equipment, arrives in the territory of one of Russia's Baltic neighbors, Estonia. According to RIA Novosti, the military and equipment will be deployed in the city of Tapa until the end of August, which is only about 140 kilometers from the Russian border. The French military will be in Estonia within the framework of the NATO mission to strengthen the alliance’s military presence in the Baltic countries and Poland (FRA-EFP LYNX) and will help Estonia to “restrain Russian aggression”.
It is noteworthy that on April 18, Estonian President Kersti Kaljulaid was in Moscow on an official visit. Given the difficult relations between the Russian Federation and the Baltic republics in recent years, it is not surprising that this is the first official summit meeting between the presidents of Russia and Estonia after 2008.
At a meeting with journalists, Ms. Kaljulaid noted there was an exchange of views on bilateral relations, as well as on the situation in Georgia and Ukraine. According to Sputnik Estonia, “she also told the Russian leader that despite the existing sanctions, there are areas in which economic cooperation between Russia and Estonia can be developed”, citing the North Stream - 2. Not hiding that Estonia will continue its participation in the anti-Russian sanctions, Ms. President expressed satisfaction with the outcome of the negotiations, stressing that "the meeting with Putin was very good". In conclusion, she invited the President of the Russian Federation to the congress of the Finno-Ugric peoples, scheduled in Tartu next year.
Well, one can only welcome the warming of relations - even to such a degree - between the once fraternal Soviet republics. We also hope that there will simply be no reason to restrain “Russian aggression” for the joint French-Estonian forces.
At the same time, a peculiar triangle Russia-France-Estonia, spontaneously formed over the past three days, once again confirmed: we live in an era when human values, culture, mercy, and mutual positive expectations are placed in favor of Her Majesty Politics.
- Opening of the international Armenian studies conference “Eastern Armenia: History and Culture”
- The effect of being overweight and obese on cancer risk is at least double than previously thought
- British band Jamiroquai to perform in Armenia
- Trump not taking back foreign aid; Armenia among countries to benefit
- 'Spanish Stonehenge' revealed: Daily Mail
- Trump announced new meeting with Kim Jong-un is possible
- Recipe Corner: Auntie Zee’s World-Famous Apricot Jam from Fresno
- Technovation Armenia 2019 Program Concludes with Awards
- Armenian Artists in Research and Dialogue
- Katherine Hodgson: Researching the Beautiful and Fascinating Armenian Language
- Trump orders companies to seek "alternative markets" to China
- North Korea launches two more ballistic missiles into sea: Seoul
- Pashinyan Backs Major Mining Project In Armenia
- How to increase life expectancy?
- ‘Abandoned’ Armenian Properties around the World: Part III
- Serena Williams paired with Maria Sharapova in U.S. Open first round
- Armenian PM congratulates Ukraine on Independence Day
- Trump talks about serving '14 more years' as president: Independent
- UNESCO delegation visits Armenia Ministry of Education, Science, Culture and Sport
- Drinking coffee first thing in the morning can be bad
- Viennese Apple Strudel recipe
- Yerevan among cities Russian tourists keep returning to: study
- Over the next 5 days a high risk of fire is predicted in the valleys and foothills of the Republic
- U.S. offer to sell Patriot system to Turkey has expired: Reuters
- 71-story skyscraper to be erected in Yerevan