Human Rights Defender warns investigators for summoning journalists
Armenian Ombudsman Arman Tatoyan has released a statement a day after investigators sent a summons to Armlur and Hayeli, two news websites who published an article about the death of ex-police chief Hayk Harutyunyan which was later refuted by authorities for containing false information.
“According to the investigative body the purpose of these writs is to determine the authors of the articles and question them regarding the circumstances subject to clarification in the case,” the Ombudsman said in the statement.
“The Human Rights Defender finds it necessary to publicly record that the abovementioned issue is under his direct focus due to the reason of relating to journalistic activities and work. In addition, the concerns of the executives of these media outlets that they might be presented with a demand to disclose their information source is already recorded. They consider the fact of being sent a summons for questioning as a way to pressure them,” the Ombudsman said.
He warned law enforcement bodies that journalists are protected with concrete guarantees regarding their inclusion in any criminal case.
The statement of the Ombudsman reminded that the journalists can be demanded to disclose their information source in the “lawful conditions having comprehensive regulation envisaged exclusively by law”, such as a court decision, the purpose of revealing a grave crime etc. “Moreover, in any case it is necessary to affirm the simultaneous presence of these conditions”.
“The guarantees of protected journalistic work demand criminal prosecution bodies to display greater attention in involving journalists in the criminal procedural spheres on the occasion of occupational work or when making statements about them regardless the status. All public bodies and officials must also take into consideration these guarantees in their actions or statements.
The journalistic specialized work is directly stemming from the fundamental value of the freedom of speech stipulated by the Armenian Constitution and international obligations, is contributing to securing civil supervision towards the state and must have special protection. The specialized work of journalists has a strategic significance for the Human Rights Defender.
During this entire process the Human Rights Defender will be in touch with the executives of the two abovementioned news websites by keeping the issue under direct attention. The actions of the investigative body will be under direct monitoring,” the statement says.
- Statement of MFA of Armenia on the adoption of Resolution 296 affirming the US record on the Armenian Genocide by US House of Representatives
- Pushed by latest Turkey aggression, House passes resolution formally commemorating the Armenian Genocide. The Boston Globe
- Today is renowned Armenian actor Sos Sargsyan's birthday
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 2-3 degrees, in the daytime of 20 it will go down as much
- Recipe Corner: Stuffed Roma Tomatoes with Three Cheeses
- Armenian PM, President of Artsakh discuss mutual cooperation in Yerevan
- President of Armenia holds meeting with delegation of Confindustria Russia
- Coffee may be useful in the fight against diabetes, scientist say
- Armenia's Haypost wins first prize at Europa Stamps 2019
- 2,000 CSTO troops participating in Search 2019 exercise
- Nepal, China agree to remeasure height of Mt Everest: Times of India
- One of the rarest coins in the world dating back to 723AD goes on sale for £1.6MILLION
- Aronian and Hakobyan are half a point behind tournament leaders
- Armenian FM, OSCE MG Co-Chairs highlight formation of favorable environment for peace
- Japan Typhoon death toll rises: NHK
- Airbus delegation to visit Armenia at President’s invitation
- Armenian PM receives OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs
- Syrian army enters Manbij to block Turkey’s expansion
- Today is Global Handwashing Day
- Kim Kardashian “emotional” over visit to Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute
- US sanctions Turkish ministries over Syria offensive
- Remote working may increase stress, reduce well-being: study
- Lepsius House, Genocide Museum Signs Cooperation Agreement
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 3-4 degrees
- Holy Trinity Armenian Apostolic Church Bread Sticks (Simit)