Zohrab Mnatsakanyan received candidate for CSTO Secretary General Stanislav Zas
Armenian Minister of Foreign Affairs Zohrab Mnatsakanyan received on May 27 Stanislav Zas, the Secretary of Security Council of Belarus, who is the candidate for Secretary General of the Collective Security Treaty Organization (CSTO). Zas is nominated to serve in the position for a three-year term.
The CSTO chief’s office became vacant since November 2018, when Secretary General Yuri Khachaturov, an Armenian general, was dismissed by the organization following Yerevan’s initiation of criminal proceedings against him in a case concerning the 2008 post-election unrest. In 2008, Khachaturov was commanding the Yerevan garrison of the military.
During the meeting with Zas, the Armenian FM emphasized the importance of the CSTO for Armenia’s security system. Speaking about Armenia’s priorities within the Organization, Mnatsakanyan underscored the significance of continuously increasing the effectiveness of the CSTO through close cooperation between member countries.
Mnatsakanyan noted that during the latest CSTO Foreign Ministerial meeting in Bishkek it was possible to reach an agreement both in terms of nominating a candidate for Secretary General and his term in office, as well as the timeframes for carrying out work in the direction of creating a legal framework for the event of suspending the duties prematurely.
Mnatsakanyan emphasized that the Organization’s Secretary General must be guided by the fundamental documents of the CSTO, common interests and political line of all member countries.
Zas thanked for nominating his candidacy for the approval to the Council and assured that in case of being appointed he will proceed from the positions of protecting the security interests of all CSTO member states.
- Guest Recipe: Saghi Bourma (rolled pastry with walnuts)
- Goethe, Poetry and Truth Honored at Weimar Ceremony
- Another prequel of "Game of Thrones" is eyeing a green light: Deadline
- Growing Interest in Armenian Art at Tufts
- Asdghig ‘Starrie’ Alemian, One of Last Armenian Genocide Survivors in Massachusetts, Dies
- Tuchel: Neymar to play during PSG's upcoming match
- PM Pashinyan congratulates Medvedev on birthday
- Today is World First Aid Day
- Russia's Lavrov says war in Syria has ended
- "Star” of Martiros Saryan installed in Rostov, Russia
- Tension in Armenian-Russian Relations: Armenian Mirror-Spectator
- Arsene Wenger taking up technical role with FIFA
- On September 16-18 the air temperature will gradually go up by 4-5 degrees
- Trump willing to meet again with North Korea’s Kim
- Armenians in Berlin
- Iris Karayan: ‘My Work Looks at Memory and Reenactment’
- Rex Kalamian Turns Laser Focus on NBA’s LA Clippers
- Teens are anxious, depressed after spending more than 3 hours per day on social media
- Armenia’s Victory over Bosnia and Herzegovina Brings Its Soccer Team Back to Third Horizontal (video)
- Dr. Taner Akçam to Receive Lifetime Achievement Award
- Today is Mid-Autumn Festival Day in China
- Tigran Mansuryan’s movie soundtracks performed on composer’s 80th birthday
- Oreo cake recipe
- Tickets for Armenia-Finland Euro qualifiers fixture go on sale
- Verdict on on Robert Kocharyan's restraint to be announced on September 17