Explosion at ammunition depot in Turkey's Hakkari
At least 25 Turkish soldiers were injured and another seven are missing in an explosion at an ammunition depot on Friday evening. Officials said the incident was an accident.
The explosion in a military base in the city of Hakkari “injured military personnel,” the provincial governor’s office announced in a statement.
Turkey’s Defence Ministry said it was an “accident” when soldiers were “shelling” within the military base, but did not clarify if it was a military exercise or some other incident.
"Twenty-five heroic soldiers were injured in the accident but were immediately taken to hospital, receiving treatment. We continue working to reach to seven of our heroic soldiers,” the ministry added in its statement, reported by Anadolu Agency.
An investigation is underway.
Hakkari is located in Turkey’s mainly Kurdish southeast.
Media has been banned from approaching the area.
- Armenian Dance Teacher from Japan: interview with Azat Gharibyan
- Armenia has lowest child suicide rate in Europe
- Armenian skier performs well at Finland-hosted tournament
- Recipe Corner: Baked Citrus Dill Salmon with Parsley and Onions
- Belarus to ship new batch of weapons to Azerbaijan
- Syrian army on high alert after militant attack kills 23 soldiers
- Russian military unveils video footage of new Su-57 stealth fighter in Syria
- Germany fully halts arms exports Saudi Arabia
- Acting first deputy PM reaffirms increase in tax burden is ruled out without public consent
- Members of Russian State Duma to observe early parliamentary elections in Armenia
- Armenia’s delegation led by Secretary of Security Council to depart for Moscow, Russia
- Ombudsman’s representatives carry out unannounced visit to Central Military Hospital
- Today is Universal Children's Day
- Roads mostly passable across Armenia, authorities urge drivers to shift to winter tires
- Russian cosmonauts expected to land on Moon after 2030
- Majestic Tekeyan Hall in Cairo Opens: Armenian Mirror-Spectator
- Azerbaijani manipulation: who is it addressed to?
- No precipitation is expected in the republic
- Recipe Corner: Garbanzo Bean and Vegetable Soup
- Paying Tribute To Diana Der Hovanessian
- Iran wants better ties with Iraq, Rouhani says
- Syrian army "foils militant attack" in northern Hama
- Extraordinary Cabinet meeting to be held today
- Today is Armenian outstanding national figure Maghakia Ormanian's memory day
- Naming himself defense chief, Netanyahu says ‘no room for politics’ in security