Otyan as political satirist
Otyan is considered one of the most prolific and significant Armenian satirists along with Hakob Paronyan. In his works, he criticizes and ridicules the various vices of bourgeois society and supports the struggle of the peoples of the Ottoman Empire against the power of Sultan.
Otyan was destined to say a new word, to pass a new path especially in our political satire. He wrote during a turbulent period filled with political upheavals, national-liberation and revolutionary movements, violent clashes of various social movements and parties.
The bloody "solution" of the Armenian question, the three Russian revolutions, the first imperialist bloody war and the April genocide, the historic victory of the Great October, and the national rebirth of the Armenian people, which had a fatal inequality for existence, all happened before Otyan's eyes. And he reflected on all these events. Of course, some limitations and some contradictions can be observed in his views.
But most significant is the principled struggle he waged with the help of satire as a weapon against the "lies, falsehood, exploitation, deception" he observed in social and political life (Vol. 4, page 685).
Forming his literary-political doctrine, Otyan wrote: "We should seek our gratification by mocking, in the mood of our days, false saviors, false architects, stolen fame, immovable impostors, sorcerers of sincerity, false patriots" (vol. 1, pages 553-554). And he did. Its first vivid proof is the series of brilliant stories "Parasites of the Revolution" (1897-1899).
- Statement of MFA of Armenia on the adoption of Resolution 296 affirming the US record on the Armenian Genocide by US House of Representatives
- Pushed by latest Turkey aggression, House passes resolution formally commemorating the Armenian Genocide. The Boston Globe
- Today is renowned Armenian actor Sos Sargsyan's birthday
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 2-3 degrees, in the daytime of 20 it will go down as much
- Armenian PM, President of Artsakh discuss mutual cooperation in Yerevan
- Recipe Corner: Stuffed Roma Tomatoes with Three Cheeses
- President of Armenia holds meeting with delegation of Confindustria Russia
- Coffee may be useful in the fight against diabetes, scientist say
- Armenia's Haypost wins first prize at Europa Stamps 2019
- 2,000 CSTO troops participating in Search 2019 exercise
- Nepal, China agree to remeasure height of Mt Everest: Times of India
- One of the rarest coins in the world dating back to 723AD goes on sale for £1.6MILLION
- Aronian and Hakobyan are half a point behind tournament leaders
- Armenian FM, OSCE MG Co-Chairs highlight formation of favorable environment for peace
- Japan Typhoon death toll rises: NHK
- Airbus delegation to visit Armenia at President’s invitation
- Armenian PM receives OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs
- Syrian army enters Manbij to block Turkey’s expansion
- Today is Global Handwashing Day
- Kim Kardashian “emotional” over visit to Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute
- US sanctions Turkish ministries over Syria offensive
- Remote working may increase stress, reduce well-being: study
- Lepsius House, Genocide Museum Signs Cooperation Agreement
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 3-4 degrees
- Holy Trinity Armenian Apostolic Church Bread Sticks (Simit)