Walnut cake recipe
The Cake :
1 cup or 250 g butter, softened
1 cup or 200 g Regular or Castor Sugar
1 1/2 or 190 g cups AP flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 cup or 80 ml Milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/4 Cups or 140 g Chopped walnuts
5 oz or 150 g Softened Butter
2 1/2 Cups or 300 g Powdered/icing sugar *** Please note, you may wish to increase this amount if you have a very very sweet tooth.
1 Teaspoon Vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 160 C, 325 F. Grease and lightly flour two 8 inch or 20 cm loose-bottomed round cake tins. I always like to place a disc of parchment in the base of each tin so the cake comes out very easily.
2. Sift flour, salt and baking powder. Chop the walnuts. Make sure the pieces are NO LARGER than pea size. Any bigger and they will sink to the bottom during baking.
3. Lightly beat eggs and add vanilla in a bowl. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
** NOTE: Creaming the butter and sugar is VERY important to get a fluffy texture to the cake crumb. Please make sure you use your mixer and cream until you see the colour of the butter turn almost white. It will take you around 5 – 7 minutes for this to happen, and it is worth the extra time taken!
4. Add egg mixture, a little at a time to the batter. Then add half the flour, then milk, then the rest of flour. Add the walnuts and make sure they are well combined and distributed.
5. Transfer the cake batter mixture equally into the 2 baking tins and bake 30 – 35 mins or until a skewer comes out clean. If using a loaf pan, keep the same temperature, and bake for about 1 hour to 1 hr 10 minutes. Again, check for doneness.
6. . Allow the cakes to rest for 2 minutes then remove from pans and place UPSIDE DOWN on a cooling rack. Allow to COMPLETELY cool before frosting.
*** Please note, bake times will vary slightly so please check for doneness after 25 – 30 minutes of baking.
For the Buttercream Frosting:
7. Add the softened butter (it MUST be softened) vanilla and powdered sugar to a mixing bowl and start by using a wooden spoon to combine. If you start with an electric mixer the powdered sugar will fly everywhere!! Once combined, use a mixer and beat the butter, sugar and vanilla until you see an almost white colour and the mixture is fluffy. At this point, taste the buttercream for sweetness. If you want more, just add some more powdered sugar, a tablespoon at a time until it is to your liking.
8. When the cakes have COMPLETELY cooled, place the first cake on the plate, then take some frosting and spread evenly over the top. Then add the second cake on top and continue to frost all over the cake, or how you like. You can simply spread the frosting or use a piping bag if you would like a pretty pattern. You choose!
Make up a cup of tea and enjoy!
- Growth in export of cucumbers from Armenia comprises 174% NEW 40 MINUTES AGO
- Armenia’s security chief steps down
- Armenian national futsal team begins training
- Aronian to face Matlakov at world cup
- Armenia’s Pashinyan holding major news conference in Vanadzor
- U.S. blames Iran for Saudi attacks, 'pretend' diplomacy: Reuters
- GIPHY founder Alex Chung arriving in Armenia for WCIT
- Erdogan says will discuss U.S. missile purchase with Trump
- Armenian FM kicks off official visit to Lithuania
- Armenia’s Arthur 'White Bear' Alexanyan to compete at world championship final with injury
- 5 daily activities necessary to maintain health
- Guest Recipe: Saghi Bourma (rolled pastry with walnuts)
- Goethe, Poetry and Truth Honored at Weimar Ceremony
- Another prequel of "Game of Thrones" is eyeing a green light: Deadline
- Growing Interest in Armenian Art at Tufts
- Asdghig ‘Starrie’ Alemian, One of Last Armenian Genocide Survivors in Massachusetts, Dies
- Tuchel: Neymar to play during PSG's upcoming match
- PM Pashinyan congratulates Medvedev on birthday
- Today is World First Aid Day
- Russia's Lavrov says war in Syria has ended
- "Star” of Martiros Saryan installed in Rostov, Russia
- Tension in Armenian-Russian Relations: Armenian Mirror-Spectator
- Arsene Wenger taking up technical role with FIFA
- On September 16-18 the air temperature will gradually go up by 4-5 degrees
- Trump willing to meet again with North Korea’s Kim