Imeretian khachapuri recipe
Khachapuri is a filled bread stuffed with melting cheese. It is justifiably considered to be one of Georgia’s most famous national dishes.
In this article we will show how to make Imeruli (Georgian: იმერული ხაჭაპური), an Imeretian khachapuri (from Imereti), which is circular and probably the most common type.
Ingredients: 200 grams of khachapuri dough and all purpose flour (for kneading dough and dusting).
Prepare the dough as per the step-by-step guide in the link to the article mentioned above.
The recipe for the dough is enough to make 3 khachapuri so you will need to reduce the quantity of ingredients if you only want to make one or two.
Other ingredients: 2 eggs (1 egg yolk for glazing but this is optional), 30 grams of butter and 600 grams of Imeretian cheese (alternatively, you can use feta cheese and mozzarella together).
Grate the cheese.
Add the grated cheese, one egg and 20 grams of butter to a mixing bowl.
Knead the dough before using. Leave for 10 minutes and then make a circular shape, with a lip around the edge, like in the picture below. Spread the cheese filling onto the middle of the dough.
Fold the edges of the dough over the cheese filling.
Seal the dough as shown in the picture below.
Turn the dough over and flatten it out to make a circular shape. As you spread out the dough make sure the cheese filling is spread evenly.Be careful not to tear the dough.
A rolling pin can also be used to flatten the dough.
The dough should like the one in the picture below.
Lightly dust a baking tray with flour (to stop the khachapuri sticking) and put the khachapuri in a pre-heated oven for about 15 minutes at a medium temperature. If you want to glaze the khachapuri with egg yolk do this 5 minutes before it is ready.
Glaze the khachapuri with butter as soon as you remove it from the oven. This makes it soft.
Serving: Cut into slices and serve immediately.
Enjoy this famous Imeretian dish!
- Statement of MFA of Armenia on the adoption of Resolution 296 affirming the US record on the Armenian Genocide by US House of Representatives
- Pushed by latest Turkey aggression, House passes resolution formally commemorating the Armenian Genocide. The Boston Globe
- Today is renowned Armenian actor Sos Sargsyan's birthday
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 2-3 degrees, in the daytime of 20 it will go down as much
- Recipe Corner: Stuffed Roma Tomatoes with Three Cheeses
- Armenian PM, President of Artsakh discuss mutual cooperation in Yerevan
- President of Armenia holds meeting with delegation of Confindustria Russia
- Coffee may be useful in the fight against diabetes, scientist say
- Armenia's Haypost wins first prize at Europa Stamps 2019
- 2,000 CSTO troops participating in Search 2019 exercise
- Nepal, China agree to remeasure height of Mt Everest: Times of India
- One of the rarest coins in the world dating back to 723AD goes on sale for £1.6MILLION
- Aronian and Hakobyan are half a point behind tournament leaders
- Armenian FM, OSCE MG Co-Chairs highlight formation of favorable environment for peace
- Japan Typhoon death toll rises: NHK
- Airbus delegation to visit Armenia at President’s invitation
- Armenian PM receives OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs
- Syrian army enters Manbij to block Turkey’s expansion
- Today is Global Handwashing Day
- Kim Kardashian “emotional” over visit to Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute
- US sanctions Turkish ministries over Syria offensive
- Remote working may increase stress, reduce well-being: study
- Lepsius House, Genocide Museum Signs Cooperation Agreement
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 3-4 degrees
- Holy Trinity Armenian Apostolic Church Bread Sticks (Simit)