Imeretian khachapuri recipe
Khachapuri is a filled bread stuffed with melting cheese. It is justifiably considered to be one of Georgia’s most famous national dishes.
In this article we will show how to make Imeruli (Georgian: იმერული ხაჭაპური), an Imeretian khachapuri (from Imereti), which is circular and probably the most common type.
Ingredients: 200 grams of khachapuri dough and all purpose flour (for kneading dough and dusting).
Prepare the dough as per the step-by-step guide in the link to the article mentioned above.
The recipe for the dough is enough to make 3 khachapuri so you will need to reduce the quantity of ingredients if you only want to make one or two.
Other ingredients: 2 eggs (1 egg yolk for glazing but this is optional), 30 grams of butter and 600 grams of Imeretian cheese (alternatively, you can use feta cheese and mozzarella together).
Grate the cheese.
Add the grated cheese, one egg and 20 grams of butter to a mixing bowl.
Knead the dough before using. Leave for 10 minutes and then make a circular shape, with a lip around the edge, like in the picture below. Spread the cheese filling onto the middle of the dough.
Fold the edges of the dough over the cheese filling.
Seal the dough as shown in the picture below.
Turn the dough over and flatten it out to make a circular shape. As you spread out the dough make sure the cheese filling is spread evenly.Be careful not to tear the dough.
A rolling pin can also be used to flatten the dough.
The dough should like the one in the picture below.
Lightly dust a baking tray with flour (to stop the khachapuri sticking) and put the khachapuri in a pre-heated oven for about 15 minutes at a medium temperature. If you want to glaze the khachapuri with egg yolk do this 5 minutes before it is ready.
Glaze the khachapuri with butter as soon as you remove it from the oven. This makes it soft.
Serving: Cut into slices and serve immediately.
Enjoy this famous Imeretian dish!
- UN says the world now is home to 272 million migrants
- British travel vlogger flies 30,000 miles to see the Seven Wonders of the World in just seven days: The Sun
- Hyundai Motor Group Develops Center Side Airbag
- The air temperature will gradually go down by 9-11 degrees
- Google plans to protect users from dubious medical information
- Artsakh comments on statements of Georgian and Ukrainian foreign ministries
- Armenian PM holds farewell meeting with UK Ambassador
- Surp Amenaprkich Ghazanchetsots Cathedral in Shushi
- Romania’s Senate adopts bill to declare October 12 Day of Armenian language, alphabet and culture
- Dzeko wants Mkhitaryan to stay at Roma for long term
- Former Police Chief of Armenia Vladimir Gasparyan charged for abuse of power
- Saudi Arabia vows "material evidence" linking Iran to oil attack
- President Sarkissian signs decree on dismissing Valery Osipyan as Police Chief of Armenia
- OSCE conducts monitoring on Artsakh-Azerbaijan line of contact
- PM fires Police Chief Valery Osipyan
- Iranian leader calls attack on Saudi refineries warning from Yemenis
- Armenian FM hosted by Latvian President in Riga Castle
- Armenia’s Independence Day
- Valeriy Osipyan’s resignation not discussed at Security Council’s session: NA speaker
- No such thing: Armenia defense minister on chances of stepping down
- World Chess Cup: Armenia’s Aronian is in 1/8 finals
- Today Armenia celebrates Astronomy Day
- Today is outstanding Armenian astronomer Viktor Hambardzumyan's birthday
- Armenia Police Chief resigns
- Chicken fricassee recipe