Reclaim Gomidas: Conference Looks At The Vartabed Of The Armenian Church
The third annual Reclaim Conference is scheduled for April 6, 2019 at the Western Diocese of the Armenian Church in Burbank. The celebrated and revered Armenian Church priest, Gomidas Vartabed will be the focus of this year’s gathering.
With talks, discussions, films and a concert, the goal of the conference is to reclaim Gomidas as a Vartabed of the Armenian Church. There are many angles from which to view and study the life of Gomidas, most notably as a musician. The fact that Gomidas was a priest of the Armenian Church, with a calling by the Holy Spirit and consecrated with Holy Miuron is often overlooked. This conference reclaims Gomidas as first and foremost a priest to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
The speakers will present talks and share ideas about Gomidas to make him accessible to the participants in a meaningful and thought-provoking manner.
Since 2017, the Reclaim Conference has motivated participants to embrace their faith in a changing world where Christian values and understanding is challenged daily.
The conference takes place under the auspices of His Eminence Archbishop Hovnan Derderian who will also bring his expertise to the procedings by offing a presentation, “The Divine Liturgy by Gomidas Vartabed.” Here, the genius of Gomidas will be explored by the Primate. According to Martios Saryan, the “Gomidas’ Badarak is the condensation of the soul of our people. That is big art – the true opera of our people.”
Hayk Madoyan will explore the “Gomidas Letters.” In a look at the letters written by the priest, Madoyan will bring to light elements of Gomidas’ character that will be revelatory to all who attend. Other presentations will be made by Vatché Mankerian, “The Genius of Gomidas in Armenian Music” by Fr. Vazgen Boyadjian on the clergyman and Fr. Zacharia Saribekyan on identity.
The Conference culminates with a Choral and Instrumental Concert in the evening. The concert will include songs for string quartet featuring the Aslamazian String Quartete, the Armenian Chamber Orchestra directed by Armen Der Gevorkian. Piano suites by Professor Vatché Mankerian and Choral arrangements by the St. Leon Shnorhali Choir under the direction of Alenoush Yeghnazarian.
The conference begins at 9AM with welcoming remarks by Fr. Vazken Movsesian. The cost of the conference is $35, which includes admission to all events, registration packet, gifts and meals. The concert only is $20. Tickets are available on first-come first-serve basis by calling the Western Diocese of the Armenian Church, 818.558.7474.
- Statement of MFA of Armenia on the adoption of Resolution 296 affirming the US record on the Armenian Genocide by US House of Representatives
- Pushed by latest Turkey aggression, House passes resolution formally commemorating the Armenian Genocide. The Boston Globe
- Today is renowned Armenian actor Sos Sargsyan's birthday
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 2-3 degrees, in the daytime of 20 it will go down as much
- Recipe Corner: Stuffed Roma Tomatoes with Three Cheeses
- Armenian PM, President of Artsakh discuss mutual cooperation in Yerevan
- President of Armenia holds meeting with delegation of Confindustria Russia
- Coffee may be useful in the fight against diabetes, scientist say
- Armenia's Haypost wins first prize at Europa Stamps 2019
- 2,000 CSTO troops participating in Search 2019 exercise
- Nepal, China agree to remeasure height of Mt Everest: Times of India
- One of the rarest coins in the world dating back to 723AD goes on sale for £1.6MILLION
- Aronian and Hakobyan are half a point behind tournament leaders
- Armenian FM, OSCE MG Co-Chairs highlight formation of favorable environment for peace
- Japan Typhoon death toll rises: NHK
- Airbus delegation to visit Armenia at President’s invitation
- Armenian PM receives OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs
- Syrian army enters Manbij to block Turkey’s expansion
- Today is Global Handwashing Day
- Kim Kardashian “emotional” over visit to Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute
- US sanctions Turkish ministries over Syria offensive
- Remote working may increase stress, reduce well-being: study
- Lepsius House, Genocide Museum Signs Cooperation Agreement
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 3-4 degrees
- Holy Trinity Armenian Apostolic Church Bread Sticks (Simit)