Researchers use AI to detect depression in voices
Artificial intelligence algorithms can now more accurately detect depressed moods based on the sound of a person’s voice, thanks to research by University of Alberta computer scientists, Global News reports.
The study used previous research that suggests the timbre of a person’s voice contains information about their mood.
PhD student Mashrura Tasnim and professor Eleni Stroulia developed a methodology that combines several machine-learning algorithms to more accurately detect depression using acoustic cues.
The pair sees the technology being applied by individuals and care providers.
“A realistic scenario is to have people use an app that will collect voice samples as they speak naturally,” Stroulia said.
“The app, running on the user’s phone, will recognize and track indicators of mood, such as depression, over time.
“Much like you have a step counter on your phone, you could have a depression indicator based on your voice as you use the phone,” she said.
Federal government data shows about 11 per cent of Canadian men and 16 per cent of Canadian women will experience a major depression sometime in their life. More than three million youth aged 12 to 19 are at risk of developing depression, according to the Canadian Mental Health Association.
- EU summit set to discuss Turkey sanctions
- Why do you feel sleepy after eating?
- Scientists maintain viability of dead brain for several weeks
- Married people live longer than single people
- Yerevan among Booking.com’s 10 trending destinations for 2020
- Militants storm Syrian army post in northern Latakia
- Armenia’s Pashinyan has phone talk with Russia’s Putin
- Porsche teams up with Boeing to build flying cars: The Verge
- Today is Armenian legendary duduk master Djivan Gasparyan's birthday
- Armenian President congratulates King Felipe VI of Spain on National Day
- Today is anti-smoking day in Armenia
- Feast of the Holy Translators - Sts. Mesrob, Yeghishe, Moses of Khoronk, philosopher Davit Anhaght, Gregory of Narek and Nerses the Gracious (Nerses of Kla)
- Cher on Armenian Genocide amid aggravation of Syrian situation: Turk soldiers are still blood thirsty
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go down by 4-6 degrees, on 15-16 will go up by 2-4 degrees
- Marcos Pizzelli gets candid about 11 years in Armenia
- Armenian army subdivision leaves for Belarus
- UN Secretary General calls for de-escalation in Syria
- Opportunities to deepen Armenia-Chile economic ties discussed in Yerevan
- Armenian President hosts participants of international School of Young Leaders
- Reuters: Trump's assistant will reduce US National Security Council staff by third
- Ethiopia’s PM wins Nobel Peace Prize 2019
- Russia not to allow unjust solution to Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- China Reveals Exotic Flying Saucer-Shaped "Armed Helicopter" Concept
- Armenia welcomes any initiative aimed at deepening economic cooperation in CIS – PM Pashinyan
- Owning a dog tied to lowering your risk of dying early by 24%, says science: CNN