Court orders release of ex-President Robert Kocharyan
A Yerevan court today approved the personal guarantees from Artsakh’s President Bako Sahakyan and ex-President Arkady Ghukasyan to free former Armenian President Robert Kocharyan from pre-trial detention.
Judge David Grigoryan delivered the verdict today, on May 18th.
Supporters of Kocharyan in the courtroom began cheering.
Rival demonstrations are taking place outside the courthouse.
On May 16, Artsakh’s President Bako Sahakyan and former President Arkady Ghukasyan personally arrived at the Yerevan court to vouch for the release of Kocharyan, who also served as President of Artsakh in the early 90s. The court adjourned to examine the personal guarantees. Sahakyan and Ghukasyan vouched that Kocharyan will not obstruct justice.
Kocharyan, along with several other former officials, is charged with “overthrowing Constitutional Order” during the 2008 March protests in Yerevan when 8 protesters and 2 security officers died. The former President is accused of unlawfully ordering the military to intervene. He vehemently denies wrongdoing.
2nd President of Armenia Robert Kocharyan, who ruled the country from 1998 to 2008, spent two weeks in jail in summer of 2018, but was eventually freed. But on December 7, a higher court overruled the release and ordered him to be remanded into custody pending trial again.
At the time the court announced the verdict, Kocharyan turned himself in to authorities.
- Ukraine’s Zelensky signs impeachment bill NEW 39 MINUTES AGO
- Venezuela’s Maduro says ready for talks with Trump if US changes policy
- System of a Down heading to Portugal, Spain, Germany in 2020
- Rouhani urges Gulf states to jointly ensure the security of the region
- Armenia PM makes new appointment
- Junk food impairs memory, study says
- Can you imagine if I suddenly start speaking without thinking about the consequences?
- Concert marking Komitas’ 150th anniversary held in Moscow
- British Oil Tanker Seized By Iran Will Be Released Soon, Iranian Official Says: Reuters
- Most people do not know that they suffer from migraines
- Levon Aronian reached quarter finals of World Chess Cup
- Azerbaijan attempts subversive attack against Artsakh
- Масленица Обретения Креста на горе Вараг
- Could sunscreen affect vitamin D deficiency?
- On September 22 the air temperature will go down by 8-10 degrees
- Armenia Wine's cognac wins silver at Int'l Wine & Spirit Competition
- Guest Recipe: Grapes Leaves with Rice, Lemon Juice, Olive Oil and Herbs
- Ten Volumes of Italian Diplomatic Documents on Armenians Soon to Be Completed
- Armenia Independence Day
- Putin congatulates Pashinyan
- Diabetes can be predicted at 8 years
- Trump says US supports desire of Armenian people to live in democratic country
- Exercise slows Alzheimer's Disease, study says
- Speaker of Parliament Ararat Mirzoyan offers congratulations on Independence Day
- World Cup: Levon Aronian started with a draw in the 1/8 finals